The Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper, Marine Squadron MFP-3, Captain Gallant; First Cylon War

Revell, 1/32 scale 30th Anniversary re-issue of the original series style Colonial Viper. However, I decided to go off the show canon, and make it a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Recon Viper. Several additions were brought to the kit, to include: 

1. A recon camera, in clear bubble pod under the nose. Scratch-built with plasti-card, and a camera fashioned from spare model parts.
  2. Enhanced bucket cockpit, specifically with plasti-card arm rests with controls.
  3. Enhanced canopy.
  4. Scratch-built Ejection Seat for atmospheric bail-out, including hydraulics and release rings.
  5. Added decals from spares box, including home-made "Capt. Gallant" pilot designation (my last name), No Step warnings, rescue, etc.
  6. Thruster ports drilled in.
  7. Enhanced Pilot uniform.

Finish-1.jpg

Finish-2.jpg

Finish-3.jpg

Finish-4.jpg

Finish-5.jpg

Finish-6.jpg

Finish-7.jpg

Finish-8.jpg

Finish-9.jpg

• Like 20

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks great but you dont have a photo showing the recon pod ? 

Oh my gosh, you're right! Seriously, I have no idea why I missed something as crucial as that....dang, LOL. I'll take a picture of it soonest and post it (edited the post above). Thank you for pointing that out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Cool, I like the space worn finish

Thanks! I've been working on developing my wash techniques, in particular. I wouldn't normally go this grungy, but I thought it held t the storyline in my head. I was worried at build conclusion that I scratched her up a little too much, though... but ended up happy with it.

I'd done a U.S. Marines RF-4B Phantom jet, which I used a chalk wash, and it came out wonderfully. This kit was the first where I tried mediums like oils, water miscible oils, and turpentine. I was happy with it but, the judge is still out on how much I'd want to pull that trick out of the magicians hat. (Comfort-level thing)

4 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Great model and photography - is that black packing foam?

IIRC there was a Recon Viper in one of the original series episodes. Unarmed but extra speed and range?

Thanks!!! Much appreciated.

The background material is actually a very large bolt of felt....black with sparkles embedded. I bought it as a table covering for when I play space ship miniatures wargames (I've been developing a space fleet combat miniatures game...my own rules book; and I have a BUNCH of Battlestar Galactica miniatures (pewter and resin, hand painted) of fighters, Raptors, Cylon Raider, and lots of Capital Ships, Cruisers, Destroyers, etc. See here for a full thread on all the pieces (...this is from my wargaming forum).

You know, perhaps that was part of the original series, now that you say it. I can't recall....and maybe that's where the seed came from! I recently picked up the entire series (DVD) at a flea market for very cheap, so I now have a reason to pop them in the DVR!!!

• 2 weeks later...