Getrud Barkhorn's all red Me 262A-1a

Continuing with the topic of my last model: 

I built the Hobby Boss 1:48 Me 262A-1a with the same theme, and painted it entirely in red, the way it looked in the show. 

Regarding the aircraft itself, it wasn´t as well fitting as the Fw 190D-9. The gun bay is designed to be posed open, so the covers won´t seat flush with the rest of the fuselage. I used the weight that came with the kit, and found it pushed the nose outwards a bit, but pressure, glue and superglue fixed everything in place.

The biggest problem with this kit was the way Hobby Boss decided to attach the big pieces (wings, wheels and fuselage halves) to the sprues. They did so by putting the sprue gates inside the pieces. This isn´t a problem with pieces that are thick, but clean a bit too much on the wings and rudder, and you´ll shave a part of them.  

T061aMs.jpg

18sE6ED.jpg

heOLAga.jpg

kbVVH2J.jpg

cos6dTM.jpg

To sum up, I really enjoyed building these two models, they gave me inspiration to continue with the aircraft of the real pilots. Though my display space is running out.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 15

Interesting concept for doing something different. Both look like nice clean builds. You are not the only one that is running out of room. Won't be long now before I will have to start to cycle my planes in my cabinet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work on both the 190 and this. 

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Though my display space is running out.

Seems to be a common problem most modelers have. 😉 Ive got about 20-30 models i have to give away or toss soon. Im out of space in my storage.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Interesting concept for doing something different. Both look like nice clean builds. You are not the only one that is running out of room. Won't be long now before I will have to start to cycle my planes in my cabinet.

I still have two shelves empty, but I can only fit 4 1:48 fighters on each, so I guess I´ll forget about building my 1:32 Fw 190 until I find more space.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle give your models away? To those non-modelers who´ll probably clean them with water? The best option would be to get a new display cabinet. 

• Like 1

Agreed but i neither have the space nor the $ for a new display cabinet let alone an old one. My modeling budget is $200-300 for the entire year. Im trying to get disability but currently have no income. I have a local aviation museum open in the warmer months. Im hoping they might be interested in some of them.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Agreed but i neither have the space nor the $ for a new display cabinet let alone an old one. My modeling budget is $200-300 for the entire year. Im tryingbto get disability but currently have no income. I have a local aviation museum open in the warmer months. Im hoping they might be interested in some of them.  

I hope so. Here in Buenos Aires there´s a museum that has a dedicated wing for scale model aircraft for the APMO (Asociación Plastimodelistas del Oeste). Maybe you can convince the museum owners to open a small modeler´s corner.

• Like 2

Here we have an airfield called Ardmore. It was an old WW2 training field and still is used today. The museum there has a whole hanger mezzanine area full of models in display cabinets. Plus more on the ground floor. They have a nice P_40 and Skyhawk in the hanger plus a WW1 hanger that has a new BE-2 I was told it was built by Wingnut

Wings Peter Jackson. Notice there is no BE-2 in the 1/32 range. It must be a case of why build a 1/32 scale model when you can build a full size one.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, Sturmovik said:

I hope so. Here in Buenos Aires there´s a museum that has a dedicated wing for scale model aircraft for the APMO (Asociación Plastimodelistas del Oeste). Maybe you can convince the museum owners to open a small modeler´s corner.

Sturmovik, could you tell me which Museum? I’m in Buenos Aires from time to time and always looking for something to do. 

Any model shops worth visiting? I found “Top Gun” on my last visit, and another one near by, down an arcade on a previous visit. 

Cheers

Tania

24 minutes ago, F1xena said:

Sturmovik, could you tell me which Museum? I’m in Buenos Aires from time to time and always looking for something to do. 

Any model shops worth visiting? I found “Top Gun” on my last visit, and another one near by, down an arcade on a previous visit. 

Cheers

Tania

Sure, Museo Aeronáutico de Morón, it´s based in Moron Air Base. You have to get to Rivadavia Avenue, hop into bus 136, drop off at its terminal, take the 394 (if I remember correctly) and get down at the MAIN gate of the base. Tell the soldiers you want to see the museum, they´ll ask your ID. You can also take the Sarmiento railway and drop down at Morón and then take the bus 236E, droping off at the same point in the base. However, I wouldn´t recomment you going if you´re a foreigner, specially if you don´t speak Spanish, since the museum is outside the capital. 

Luckily I checked the Facebook page of the museum, it closed in Janury 22 because they have to make maintenance. 

If you´re interested in guns and general armament, then head to the Museo de Armas de la Nación. You can get there by droping off at Line C's San Martín station. This museum is opened Monday to Friday, 13:00-19:00. Saturdays and Sundays closed.

Hobby shops, you have many:

1) Top Gun (you already know it).

2) Monumental del Plata, Scalabrini Ortiz 119 (from Rivadavia Av, take the 141 and tell the driver the address).

3) Hobbies Belgrano (Galería Río de la Plata, Cabildo 2280). Take the underground´s Line D and drop off at Juramento station)

4) Imaginario Games (Cabildo 2370 store 27, they stock Ammo paints and is a wargaming business). The gallery also has two hobby shops whose names escape me (Line D and drop off at Juramento)

5) This hobby shop is in Morón's centre, a pretty safe area, its called Hobbies Morón. The store is inside a gallery on 25 de Mayo 257 (take the 136/163 on Rivadavia Av and drop off at Rivadavia Av. 17600, walk to Rivadavia Av and 25 de Mayo Av, and follow the signs until you reach the store´s address).

6) And last but not least, Dukel Hobbies, the main importer of scale models in Argentina (Balbastro 1012). From Rivadavia Av, take bus 25 and tell the driver the address.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1