Airfix Vulcan B2 1/72 - New Modeller!

Well, whilst i know these forums are a showcase of skill, knowledge, dedication and talent - there's no point joining if I'm not going to participate!

Just for context - I haven't made a model for over 35 years...I used to bash 'em out in a day and not bother painting them!

Wife bought me a kit for Christmas...and I can't help but feel the man in the model shop saw her coming when he sold her the (in) famous Airfix Vulcan in 1/72 scale...i've already read a few horror stories about the model...and even my limited experience is enough to know...its poorly made, poorly fitting and poorly finished...

I've had to do alot of trimming and filing of waste plastic around the edge of the parts...and i've only just started!

Anyway...its taken me a while to acquire all the "kit" I need to make it (whats wrong with a tube of cement and dads Stanley knife) and there's so much i've never seen before - let alone used...most important being an airbrush/compressor combo...that will no doubt take some mastering...

So made a start on it today after the Royal Mail delivered the last of my "must haves"

I've removed and trimmed/sanded the first few parts...and given them a coat of paint prior to assembly...

33009421858_c744eb2735_c.jpgBox

46159799254_c8bd01950d_c.jpgWIP1

• Like 4

Probably not the best kit to choose for returning to the hobby with but there are others that are worse.  That said, if you’ve been lurking for a while you’ve probably seen some works in progress which should give you some help in overcoming this kit’s challenges.

You won’t be able to depict XH558 accurately from this kit as Airfix have, rather crudely, depicted Olympus 301 tailpipes instead of the 201s with which ‘558 is fitted.  However Freightdog Models produce(d) this style of tailpipe in resin and these require minimal modification to the kit.  If you want to stick with the ‘301 tailpipes alternative decals are available from Modeldecal (becoming very rare) or AirDecal.

Whichever way you go an impressive model can be built from this kit and, no doubt, the minute you finish it Airfix will announce an all-new, state-of-the-art, LIDAR-scanned replacement but, for now, crack on with this one: I’m looking forward to watching your progress.

Great stuff. I made a return to modelling a couple of years ago after not making one since I was at school, funnily enough my first since the return was this very kit! Must be something about the mighty Vulcan that calls one back to the hobby.

You've made a good start by the look of things. If you haven't already, check out a few WIPs on here about this kit, there's some great tips that are really helpful. 

Welcome back to the hobby. I'm not sure your wife has realized what she has done by buying you that kit...... There goes the holiday money. You start with one kit and before you know it you have a cupboard full of tools and paints and a room full of kits. The next thing she is asking you is why you need that extra kit and you will be thinking she just doesn't understand. One needs that new kit to go with the other three hundred you have aquired.😀 So now you will have to start practicing your excuses.

In the meantime have fun with the kit.

Welcome back to the hobby - Same thing happened to me last year and it's become quite the obsession - one kit is all it takes. I can see that you're already "all in" with the airbrush purchase and getting aftermarket for your first kit. You probably already know in your bones that this something you're going to enjoy - frustrations and all. You do have a steep learning curve ahead re. the airbrush - I would advise practicing as much as possible on scrap paper before committing paint to the model - especially working on getting your paint / thinner mix right - as well as compressor pressure and spray distance - a few variables to muck around with but once you get there, you'll never look back..! 

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
spelling
  • Like 1

A little bit of  work - didn't put too much effort into the cockpit as it'll barely be seen through the Vulcans "porthole" style cockpit! That said...waht looked very neat to my (extremely poor) eyes looks a whole different thing when zoomed in on a photo!

46904214281_345239315a_c.jpg

Time to tackle the Engine Intakes next!

45989692225_76fe8675dc_c.jpg

• Like 1