"Tony?" ..."Hien!" - Kawasaki Ki-61 Id

giemme

8 hours ago, giemme said:

What would you guys pick?

It's a tricky one isn't it Giorgio?

Back on the Iron Chicken I had to keep reminding myself to look at each stage of the metal paintwork over by the window in daylight rather than studio lighting - the latter being  prone to exaggerate metal and tonal effects.

I would say trust what your own eyes show you in daylight.

No help to you on AK as I've only used Alclad for such tasks.

Loving your control over colour as always!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me the Tamiya gloss aluminium on the fuselage mule looks good for an in service NMF Giorgio. 

As to the AK problems, I might be remembering completely incorrectly, but I seem to think I read somewhere recently about the first batch of the paints having problems with coverage and/or drying? 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

To me the Tamiya gloss aluminium on the fuselage mule looks good for an in service NMF Giorgio. 

Thanks Keith, I'm leaning towards that myself.

The AK Steel I have is older than the Polished Aluminium (which in turn I acquired very recently), but I'll check the production batches, in case the latter was an old leftover ... :hmmm: 

Ciao

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's a tricky one isn't it Giorgio?

Back on the Iron Chicken I had to keep reminding myself to look at each stage of the metal paintwork over by the window in daylight rather than studio lighting - the latter being  prone to exaggerate metal and tonal effects.

I would say trust what your own eyes show you in daylight.

No help to you on AK as I've only used Alclad for such tasks.

Loving your control over colour as always!

Tricky one indeed, Tony - thanks for the advice on the daylight check :thumbsup:

Ciao

Wonderful progress as always Giorgio - you make Mondays something to look forward to.

Ooooh, a paint test. I really like to color of the Tamiya, but I like the 'metal' effect AK better. I had lots of trouble with my AK Xteme metals, one or two colors worked amazing, but most arrived in poor condition and wouldn't spray at all. I think they've had quality control issues with this line, and they were making good on bad bottles by sending new ones for a while, but I was too lazy to write in!

One thing I found that you might be interested in Giorgio, is that Mission Models black primer turned out incredibly smooth and glossy when I tested it out, and it will definitely be the base coat for my next NMF.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As to the AK problems, I might be remembering completely incorrectly, but I seem to think I read somewhere recently about the first batch of the paints having problems with coverage and/or drying? 

Keith

Wasn’t that Hakata paint that had problems with an early batch?

AW

29 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Wasn’t that Hakata paint that had problems with an early batch?

AW

They did, but I think I read something about a different make recently, but can't recall properly. The reason I think it might be AK is I have a few Extreme Metals so wondered if I might have some of the paint, but the piece I read didn't give any specifics in order to check. I don't have any Hakata, so that didn't really interest me...

I could be totally wrong about the problems being with AK though, as I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, so can't check.

Keith

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I had lots of trouble with my AK Xteme metals, one or two colors worked amazing, but most arrived in poor condition and wouldn't spray at all. I think they've had quality control issues with this line, and they were making good on bad bottles by sending new ones for a while, but I was too lazy to write in!

I've just done a bit of googling to try & find what I read about AK aluminium colours (failed in that) but did find a post on another forum about problems with the brass and copper colours - I've had the AK's for probably 3-4 years now, and the first one I tried to use was a bottle of brass last month - it was impossible to mix, the same problem mentioned on the other forum! Hope the 4 or 5 aluminium colours I have work better!

Keith

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful progress as always Giorgio - you make Mondays something to look forward to.

Ooooh, a paint test. I really like to color of the Tamiya, but I like the 'metal' effect AK better. I had lots of trouble with my AK Xteme metals, one or two colors worked amazing, but most arrived in poor condition and wouldn't spray at all. I think they've had quality control issues with this line, and they were making good on bad bottles by sending new ones for a while, but I was too lazy to write in!

One thing I found that you might be interested in Giorgio, is that Mission Models black primer turned out incredibly smooth and glossy when I tested it out, and it will definitely be the base coat for my next NMF.

Thanks for the appreciation, Cookie :thumbsup:  And thanks for the heads up on Mission Models black primer :thumbsup2:  TBH, I liked the effect I achieved airbrushing Tamiya Gloss Black thinned with cellulose thinner, it turned out very smooth. If you look at this pic, though:

Kawasaki-Ki-61-Hien-airplane-2.jpg

(image source: http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/) you will see that the best match is probably Tamiya Gloss Aluminium sprayed on bare plastic. I will anyway test AK Extreme Metal Steel before taking the final decision.

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've just done a bit of googling to try & find what I read about AK aluminium colours (failed in that) but did find a post on another forum about problems with the brass and copper colours - I've had the AK's for probably 3-4 years now, and the first one I tried to use was a bottle of brass last month - it was impossible to mix, the same problem mentioned on the other forum! Hope the 4 or 5 aluminium colours I have work better!

Keith

Thanks for checking out, Keith :thumbsup:  I will give Polished Aluminium another try, this time not only vigorously shaking the bottle prior to painting, but also stirring it to dissolve all the pigment - I suspect I mostly sprayed thinner rather than color in my test...

Ciao

• Like 9

That is a great fit there Giemme, hardly any filler at all.

Nice trick with the Cardboard to protect the office.

That light thingy on the wing, could be a loud speaker from the on-board stereo?

Good idea to test out your finishes on a scrap bit of plastic.

You can then see the differences and pick the most appropriate.

I personally use Alcad 2 metal lacquers  for metallics, but each to their own, also whats available.

Carry on the grand work mate.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Some real progress here!!!

The interior is gorgeous, the metal finish trials look promising and very nice detail on that machine gun!!!

I'm happy you went on well with Superglue and flour!:like:

Beautiful!!!

Well done Giorgio!!!:clap:

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

That light thingy on the wing, could be a loud speaker from the on-board stereo?

:rofl: Could be! :wink: 

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Good idea to test out your finishes on a scrap bit of plastic.

You can then see the differences and pick the most appropriate.

I personally use Alcad 2 metal lacquers  for metallics, but each to their own, also whats available.

Carry on the grand work mate.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: I never tried Alclad2, I've been quite put off reading reviews about how bad they smell (big issue for me.... well, not exactly me, but you get the point :wink: )  and how sensible they are to airbrushing parameters. But you never know...

17 hours ago, Massimo said:

Some real progress here!!!

The interior is gorgeous, the metal finish trials look promising and very nice detail on that machine gun!!!

I'm happy you went on well with Superglue and flour!:like:

Beautiful!!!

Well done Giorgio!!!:clap:

Thanks for the appreciation, Massimo! :thumbsup: BTW, I used gluten-free flour (the sole kind allowed at home), so I was worried it wouldn't react exactly like wheat flour, but it fact it performed perfectly

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the party - I've been a bit tied up with the Pz.IV STGB - and you seem to have made excellent progress already! Very nice detailing! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You did quite the trick on the cockpit. Looks like it turned out very nice. You also managed the gaps like a professional. 

As as far as the BMF goes, I’ve gone to Alclad II for my metalllic needs. It’s a lacquer, so while it is a little more harsh, it cures very quickly. Most shades are quite durable. The AK is an enamel (as far as I know), and it’s curing time is very slow. 

I don't think your BMF choice is going to be super critical for this one, since you’re going to have the camouflage over top, but I’m sure you want to make it look as nice as possible regardless🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the party - I've been a bit tied up with the Pz.IV STGB - and you seem to have made excellent progress already! Very nice detailing! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, thank you for taking the time to stop by :thumbsup: I know you're super busy with them tanks thingies :winkgrin: 

18 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

You did quite the trick on the cockpit. Looks like it turned out very nice. You also managed the gaps like a professional. 

As as far as the BMF goes, I’ve gone to Alclad II for my metalllic needs. It’s a lacquer, so while it is a little more harsh, it cures very quickly. Most shades are quite durable. The AK is an enamel (as far as I know), and it’s curing time is very slow. 

I don't think your BMF choice is going to be super critical for this one, since you’re going to have the camouflage over top, but I’m sure you want to make it look as nice as possible regardless🍻

Thanks RadMax8 :thumbsup: 

As I mentioned earlier, I had no problems at all with AK Steel, so go figure... :shrug: 

I agree most of the BMF on this aircraft is going to be covered with camouflage, but I think if I choose a too dark of a metallic finish, it will anyway stand out badly.

And don't forget the bottom side has no camouflage :wink:  OK, I know, nobody's gonna be looking down there, but if this turns out well, I'm likely going to display it on a mirror base...

Ciao

• Like 4

WE progress report, everybody! 😃

Most of Saturday went into removing all the remaining bits and bobs form the sprues and prepping them for priming/painting. I also dry fit all of them; no pics though, because the fit was excellent for all of them. I just made a small modification to the Venturi, since the kit part is solid, and I drilled out both ends

bits1

bits2

Then I airbrushed decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium on these bits

bits3

and these bits

bits4

The wheel well doors have actually been sprayed only on the outer side

Sliding canopy

canopy8

These other bits were primed using my usual Vallejo Grey Primer + Future mix

bits7

After this painting session, I noticed that one of the propeller blade still had a ridge I hadn't removed properly

propeller1

So I removed it with the scraping gizmo and just resprayed Tamiya Gloss Aluminium.

Sunday went into prepping the airframe; first thing was to take care of the seams on the radiator sides. Looking at pictures of the real AC, the seam should only be visible in the aft portion of the radiator, where the movable lip is, so I filled them in with CA and sanded smooth

radiator10

Some minor rescribing was needed, but it was a matter of minutes. I also brushed on some PPP thinned with (very little) water to fill in a deep gap I hadn't noticed before in the wing to bottom fuselage joint

touchups1

Then it was time for masking: I put tape on the ailerons, rudder and elevators because I want to recreate the canvas effect (despite of the rudder and elevators are going to be painted red  in this scheme, but I'm hopefully going to get some variations)

masking2

masking3

Then I airbrushed Tamiya Gloss Aluminium all over

painting1

painting2

painting3

I settled for this because, after checking my paint tests in natural life, as Tony @TheBaron suggested, it was the one that looked better to me.

It's now curing, then it'll get a good rub down and will see if there are any blemishes to correct.

You might have noticed that I didn't mask the gun barrels: that's because I'm an idiot. :wall:

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 17

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio :) 

Thank you, Ced! :thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Nice work indeed!

What number is Tamiya aluminium please? I often use AS12 ( bare metal silver ) but this looks a little more shiny.

John

Thanks John! :thumbsup:  The paint is Tamiya TS-17; it comes in a spray can, but I decanted it to be used with an airbrush. HTH

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fine work, and very smooth!

didn’t mask the gun barrels oh dear... shame for you but you will overcome it.

however it’s good to know that even you make these mistakes 😂

Rob

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Shiny, shiny!! Looks lovely G!

K

Thanks K, it is rather shiny indeed! :thumbsup:  But it won't stay like that for long ... :wink: 

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Looks like you laid that metal down real smoooooth Giorgio...

Beautiful!

Apparently so, Tony :thumbsup:  There actually are a few blemishes, but most of them are going to be covered with camouflage or different paint coats, so ....

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

Fine work, and very smooth!

didn’t mask the gun barrels oh dear... shame for you but you will overcome it.

however it’s good to know that even you make these mistakes 😂

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks :thumbsup: 

However, I'd say it's quite typical of me making these mistakes :chair:  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

You say that you are going to give her a rub down?

You naughty boy! :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the appreciation :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Haha 1