"Tony?" ..."Hien!" - Kawasaki Ki-61 Id

giemme

I was just in contact with Giorgio about a mistake Tamiya made when they made these molds. I didn't want to bring it up here but Giorgio suggested that I should as a heads up to others. This is in reference to the blue object on the starboard side in the picture below...

46329119264_6c8ba0521d_b.jpg&key=5d0e404

In Monogram Close-up 14 "Japanese Cockpit Interiors Part 1", the caption reads..."The right side of the cockpit primarily contained electrical and radio equipment. This captured TONY was flown by American pilots for evaluation. For this purpose an American made oxygen system was installed and all switches and gauges were marked in English..............." Drawings in "Mechanism of Military Aircraft and Kawasaki Ki.61/Ki.100 by Modelpres confirm this space was empty

Edited by fubar57
Include "American" which I forgot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 17/02/2019 at 01:24, keefr22 said:

You're cracking on at a great pace with this one G - she'll be finished in no time...!! :)

K

Thank K, hopefully so! :thumbsup: Albeit, I predict the painting is going to take up some time... :wink: 

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That interior looks incredible Giorgio.

Cheers Cookie, thanks, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You've done this sort of thing before haven't you Giorgio? 😄

Making shapes look all brilliant and coloured-in and all...

More than just craft so it is! :clap2:

Thank you Tony, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

Christ alive, I might try and fly the thing when your done, looking very life like!

Rob

:rofl: I should have put the pilot it, then! Thanks for the appreciation, Rob! :thumbsup: 

10 hours ago, fubar57 said:

I was just in contact with Giorgio about a mistake Tamiya made when they made these molds. I didn't want to bring it up here but Giorgio suggested that I should as a heads up to others. This is in reference to the blue object on the starboard side in the picture below...

In Monogram Close-up 14 "Japanese Cockpit Interiors Part 1", the caption reads..."The right side of the cockpit primarily contained electrical and radio equipment. This captured TONY was flown by American pilots for evaluation. For this purpose an American made oxygen system was installed and all switches and gauges were marked in English..............." Drawings in "Mechanism of Military Aircraft and Kawasaki Ki.61/Ki.100 by Modelpres confirm this space was empty

George, thank you for pointing this issue out - I should still be able to remove that oxygen regulator without too much trouble :thumbsup: And hopefully this will prevent other modellers from doing the same mistake :wink: 

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio - that 'pit's looking very special :) 

Thank you Ced! :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking rather splendid Giorgio. Very fine work. Cheers

Cheers Benedikt, thank you

Last night I went on fixing the gaps, pouring some CA on top of them

fuselage8

fuselage9

fuselage10

After sanding and polishing, there would still be small gaps, even after a second CA application, so I decided I needed something with a more capillary action, and resorted using sprue slices blended in with Tamiya Green Cap

fuselage11

fuselage12

The bottom back end of the fuselage came put pretty well, though

fuselage13

It's very important to have the cleanest join possible, otherwise the NMF finish will show any blemishes.

This is curing for a couple of days now; meanwhile, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

33 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thank K, hopefully so! :thumbsup: Albeit, I predict the painting is going to take up some time... :wink: 

Cheers Cookie, thanks, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

Thank you Tony, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

:rofl: I should have put the pilot it, then! Thanks for the appreciation, Rob! :thumbsup: 

George, thank you for pointing this issue out - I should still be able to remove that oxygen regulator without too much trouble :thumbsup: And hopefully this will prevent other modellers from doing the same mistake :wink: 

Thank you Ced! :thumbsup: 

Cheers Benedikt, thank you

Last night I went on fixing the gaps, pouring some CA on top of them

fuselage8

fuselage9

fuselage10

After sanding and polishing, there would still be small gaps, even after a second CA application, so I decided I needed something with a more capillary action, and resorted using sprue slices blended in with Tamiya Green Cap

fuselage11

fuselage12

The bottom back end of the fuselage came put pretty well, though

fuselage13

It's very important to have the cleanest join possible, otherwise the NMF finish will show any blemishes.

This is curing for a couple of days now; meanwhile, comments welcome

Ciao

excellent work Giorgio very clean...

:innocent:

Silvano

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phantom61 said:

excellent work Giorgio very clean...

:innocent:

Silvano

Thanks Silvano :thumbsup: - not so clean, yet, but I'm getting there.... :wink: 

Ciao

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work on the office Giemme.

Looks the part.

Good idea to leave it out though while sorting out the seams etc.

Saves errant dust entering...

Soon be together then?

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup: The kit is very well engineered (as we come to expect from Tamiya, but let's not take it for granted :) ), so handling at this stage is still very comfy.

BTW, I already tried a dry fit for the wings, and they just click in place and fit to the fuselage like a dream, so yes, soon to be completely mounted :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Massimo said:

Hi Giorgio,

You're doing well and those joints look just right!

And I like very much those interiors!

Well done!!!

Thanks Massimo, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody; pressing on with this, I sorted the seams and removed the erroneous oxygen regulator. Here's a shot after a quick paint touch up

fuselage14

So I could slide in the tub from the bottom

fuselage15

It's a pretty tight fit, almost no need for gluing it, but I did run some Tamiya Green Cap along the bottom edges, just to be on the safe side

fuselage16

fuselage17

fuselage18

It looks suitably busy, doesn't it?

I couldn't resist a wings dryfit

fuselage19

As yo can see, the wings to fuselage joins are perfect, and the same for the bottom side

fuselage20

I then glued in the rudder and the horizontal tail planes/elevators, perfect fit there too

fuselage21

Then the supercharger intake and the engine top cowling

fuselage22

There's a bit of a gap right in front of the cowling that needs sorting. As you can see, I taped on a cardboard protection for the cockpit ... because I know me, and didn't want to knock off the gunsight ... :chair: 

Upper and lower wings got glued too

wings1

Not very visible from the above pic, but there's some filling to do on the leading edges

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 24

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

That is a nicely fitting kit, G. Lovely work thus far.

Thanks Chris, it does fit really well :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Very nice! Kits like that will not go down well with the manufacturers of putty!

Ian

True, but Italeri balances for that :rofl: 

2 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Well done with the modification Giorgio

Cheers George, thank you! :thumbsup:  Removing the oxygen regulator was actually easier than I thought: I just pried it with the tip of a knife and it popped of.

Ciao

• Like 2

16 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !!

Nice job Indeed !!I will get this oxygen regulator out of mine right now !!

CC

Thanks CC! :thumbsup: Glad that George's comment was useful for you too!

13 hours ago, Massimo said:

Ciao Giorgio,

that cockpit is simply superb!!!

And also a very unusual but effective colour which gives justice to the lovely detail.

And the fuseage is taking shape nicely!

What a start!!!

Bravissimo!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Grazie Massimo, much appreciated! :thumbsup: I agree on the cockpit color, it helps showing all the details

13 hours ago, Andwil said:

Great idea using the cardboard to protect the cockpit, I’ll borrow that for my own builds!

AW 

Thanks AW, necessity is the mother of all inventions, they say - in my case is necessity combined with clumsiness .... :chair:  :rofl: 

4 hours ago, clive_t said:

This is looking absolutely superb already with that pit detail ! :popcorn:

Thanks Clive, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, how about a WE progress report?

Work on wings has been completed; as I said earlier, I had to fill in some gaps on the leading edges, but very minor. This time I tried @Massimo's technique, mixing CA with flour, and it worked very well! Thanks Massimo :thumbsup:. Before gluing them in, I prepared the central section by brushing on Model Master Metallizer Exhaust:

radiator1

and the same for the radiator faces, followed by a drybrush with Lifecolor Matt Natural Metal and a black tempera wash, thus

radiator2

Then I decided to paint the main wheel wells at this stage, because I figured it'd have been easier to mask and handle, so out came the masking tape

wings4

and here's after airbrushing a Tamiya Flat Black base coat, a Lifecolor Giallo Mimetico coat and various drybrush/washes  - and a flat clear coat, of course

wings5

With that done, I glued the wings in: excellent fit, I only had to run some Tamiya Green Cap along the joints, using a fine brush

wings6

Radiator faces glued in as well

radiator5

radiator6

The inside of the radiator bottom panel was also brushed with Model Master Metallizer Steel

radiator4

And this is the very detailed internal framing (8 pieces :frantic: )

radiator3

As per instructions, I airbrushed it with Tamiya German Grey

radiator7

and here's the complete assembly

radiator8

radiator9

More work on the wings: the wing guns need to be inserted before gluing in the corresponding through, so again I brushed on the resin replacements  some Model master Metallizer (Burnt Metal, this time)

guns1

The above pic shows what you need for the brush technique, dipping the brush in the paint remaining on the pot cap after a good shake

Wing gun barrels glued to their respective throughs, using CA

guns2

I did paint the wing parts with Model Master Steel, although these areas will not be left NMF, but I thought I'd give them a base coat because the masking for the gun barrels is going to prevent paint to creep in the apertures - in my mind, it should be easier to touch up/weather those spots after the paint job is done

In place

wings7

The same for that thing that resembles a lamp, unless someone has different info?

wings8

All glued using Tamiya Green Cap, the fit was excellent.

I did cut the mask from the supplied mask sheet using a new blade, and posed it on the clear cover, which got glued in place again with Tamiya Green Cap

wings9

and masked the windshield and canopies too

canopy2

Here's a dryfit

canopy3

Fit is close to perfect. Here's the sliding canopy in place, too

canopy4

I the masked them on the inside and airbrushed a coat of Lifecolor Giallo Mimetico, followed by a protective gloss clear coat

canopy5

Then I glued the windshield and the rear canopy section in place, again with Tamiya Green Cap

canopy6

I'll have to fill in that small gap just fore of the windshield with some PPP. Apart from that, the fit was perfect

canopy7

While doing all of the above, I also conducted a painting test for the NMF: using a styrene sheet cutout as test bed, I base coated it this way:

paint_test1

Clockwise from the bottom left corner: bare plastic, Vallejo Grey Primer, Tamiya Gloss Balk on top of Vallejo Grey Primer, Tamiya Gloss Black on top of the bare plastic.

I then airbrushed the central section of this cutout with decanted Tamiya Gloss Aluminium

paint_test2

and the outer strips with AK Interactive Extreme Metal Polished aluminium

paint_test3

For the Polished Aluminium, the black base coat is compulsory, the left strip really came out rubbish (ignore all the dust particles trapped in the paint, I wasn't paying any attention to that)

The Gloss Aluminium isn't bad in all four areas, although I think I'll use the primer base coat + gloss aluminium to reproduce the doped alu paint on the ailerons

What do you guys think would best suit this NMF?

I wanted to do an additional test, this time using the transparent half fuselage provided in the kit as paint mule: I base coated it airbrushing Tamiya Gloss Light Blue (again, decanted from the spray can) and then airbrushed the left side with Tamiya Gloss Aluminium and the right one with AK Polished Aluminium

paint_test4

The Tamiya paint dries quite quickly, while AK (as you can see from my clumsy handling :wall: ) is still very wet after 10 minutes. As a matter of fact, the paint on the plastic cutout is still wet after a few hours .... :hmmm: 

What would you guys pick?

Any comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 10

Hello Giorgio,

as always.... a beautiful job!

Regarding the metal finish I remembered having watched a Youtube video of the same build but in 1/72. This modeller uses Alclad II Chrome which unfortunately costs a lot more but the effect is good. I don't have experiences with the extreme metal range of AK Interactive but the videos I have seen so far look good. What I don't understand is the long drying time. Shouldn't be. The must be some factor that delays or prevents the paint from drying properly. Maybe too much humidity in the air? But here the link:

Ciao!

Ramon

• Like 4

Thanks Ramon :thumbsup: 

I don't know what is wrong  with this paint, this morning it was still very wet. BTW, I had previously used AK Extreme Metal Steel, and I hadn't got any sort of issues: drying quickly and very tough, no trouble at all in handling and masking over.

My guess is that this specific color needs to be sprayed in very light coats, allowing quite some time between one another; in fact, to obtain a good coverage, I had to airbrush a very wet layer in multiple passes. I think I'll give it another try.

Ciao 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1