"Tony?" ..."Hien!" - Kawasaki Ki-61 Id

giemme

Mottle and stripe. It can only be a G-build with paintwork of that quality!

Fwiw it looks to me like you've caught the aesthetic quite nicely when looking closely at the spray characteristics in the second of those reference photos you posted Giorgio. :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/04/2019 at 08:52, CedB said:

Nice stripe Giorgio, looks pretty perfect from here :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: That was the easy one, now I have to tackle the horizontal stripe.... :frantic:

22 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent looking paintwork Giorgio!! Beautiful as always! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks _much appreciated :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Good looking stripe there Giemme.

A nearly done then?

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Heading for the final stretch, yes .... although this kit still has a number of stickers to be put on, quite unusual for a WWII fighter - but hey, I think Tamiya did a good job there, it will hopefully add to the realism :wink: 

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Mottle and stripe. It can only be a G-build with paintwork of that quality!

Fwiw it looks to me like you've caught the aesthetic quite nicely when looking closely at the spray characteristics in the second of those reference photos you posted Giorgio. :clap:

Thanks for the kind praise, Tony :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

I think she looks a treat. Looking forward to the rest of the blue paint going on!

Rob

Thanks Rob :thumbsup: As mentioned above, the toughest part of the blue stripes is yet to come - extra care needed for masking there :pilot: 

Ciao

• Like 4

Giorgio...

Now that you build a japanese plane...

You're playing some Kamikaze games ???

But with a great result Indeed !!

I would'nt have dared to mask and paint a nearly finished model !!

congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Now that you build a japanese plane...

You're playing some Kamikaze games ???

But with a great result Indeed !!

I would'nt have dared to mask and paint a nearly finished model !!

:rofl: I did spray a protective clear coat before masking for the blue stripe, CC :winkgrin: 

Anyway, here's more masking for you:

painting91

... and the final outcome

painting92

painting93

painting94

A tad of touch up around the fuselage hinomarus, but the painting stage is essentially completed (least some sparse bits and bobs like the propeller and the drop tanks ...)

Stickers next .... :frantic:

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 19

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Stripy - nice work Giorgio :) 

Thanks Ced! :thumbsup: I need to tone down that light blue, though - I will, in due course

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Well done  Giorgio. That would be the point, where I would have messed it up (Hate masking). Cheers

Cheers Benedikt, thank you :thumbsup: I hate decals more than masking, so ... :shrug: :) 

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice !!

She looks wonderful Giemme.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad you like her :thumbsup:

Have a good WE everybody, mine's going to be busy with more 1:1 modelling around the house ...

Ciao

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

Have a good WE everybody, mine's going to be busy with more 1:1 modelling around the house ...

You be careful on that catwalk Giorgio, those heels will have you breaking an ankle in a moment! :D

Great work on the masking by the way :thumbsup2:

• Haha 3

Just now, clive_t said:

You be careful on that catwalk Giorgio, those heels will have you breaking an ankle in a moment! :D

Just to make things clear: I have to install curtain frames, so I'm going to use a drill, a screw driver and a lot of patience .... just like modelling :)  :rofl::rofl: 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

Well done  Giorgio. That would be the point, where I would have messed it up (Hate masking). Cheers

Agreed 200%

Except that I would have messed it earlier 😰

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Look at you

all stripes of blue. :laugh: :clap2:

:rofl: So you're also a poet! :D 

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Is that elongated cross a unit or individual aircraft marking Giemme? Curious to know what it represents...

Good question. And I honestly don't know. But I've seen many pics with that cross, and in different colors (apparently, because pics are all b/w); also, many profiles show white crosses and yellow ones and blue ones. There are others with all sorts of stripes/bands, so I'm guessing it's a unit marking.

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

:worthy:  

John

Thanks John, way too kind :thumbsup:

More work on the blue stripes, in the form of some chipping; a pointy toothpick did the job, this time

IMG_20190407_171259

IMG_20190407_171309

IMG_20190407_171324

IMG_20190407_171337

IMG_20190407_171355

The model received a protective gloss clear coat, and is now ready for stickers/decals.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there still were a few bits and bobs that needed attention, so I started working on some of them.

The drop tanks

IMG_20190407_223304

You can probably see they look slightly splotchy, although in a subtle way; this was intentional, I did try a sort of pre-weathering. Basically, I used Tamiya Flat White and Flat Brown, and sprayed them after having removed the entire nozzle protection from my airbrush (not just the tip part). This way, spraying at high pressure, you get a splotchy pattern on the surface (and all over the spraying booth :chair: :rofl:) . The higher the pressure, the finer the splotches.

I then airbrushed a dark green around the connection points, and finally sprayed a few thin coats of Tamiya Sky on top of all

IMG_20190407_223319

Something similar was done for the propeller/spinner assembly; in this case, I first sprayed a base coat of red brown (it actually is a mix of Tamiya Red and Flat Brown) then added some Sky Grey to the mix and sprayed splotches as per above procedure; then went on again with the original mix for another thin coat or two. Finally, some chipping by removing the paint with a brass Dremel brush (hand operated, though 😉)

IMG_20190407_223832

The problem here is that I waited too long before doing the chipping (house chores ...) and I also forgot to protect the underlying alu paint with a clear coat, so in some spots the chipping went down to the bare plastic. I had to recover that by going over it with a very fine brush and a silver lacquer

IMG_20190407_223848

The drop tanks and the propeller/spinner eventually received a gloss clear coat, and are now ready for weathering

IMG_20190407_230103

IMG_20190407_230128

IMG_20190407_230144

This pre-weathering, as I called it, was meant to be very subtle; the idea is that it should give some depth and add realism to the end result, after the subsequent classic weathering stage. Or so I hope .... :banghead:

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

Great stuff Giorgio, enjoying this build immensely.

The coloured stripes and bands on Japanese aircraft usually signified formation leaders for easy recognition in the air.  Major Kobayashi was commander of the 244th Sentai so would carry prominent id markings (the 244th were assigned to the defence of Tokyo and were something of a “glamour” outfit receiving a lot of publicity, which may have influenced their flashy markings).  The cobalt blue colour usually identified the Sentai Hombu - headquarters flight.

AW 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Great stuff Giorgio, enjoying this build immensely.

Thanks Andwil :thumbsup:  Also for clearing the blue cross thing out, I learned a new thing :thanks: 

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Splendid work, Giorgio!  Nothing more to say, except "Niente altro da dire." Also insoweit nichts hinzuzufügen!  Cin cin , cheers and Prost.

Danke vielmals, Benedikt! :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio and some interesting techniques being used. 

Looking good :) 

Cheers Ced, thank you! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

The coincidence of blue colours makes it look like this:

9 hours ago, giemme said:

IMG_20190407_171259

...is two halves hovering one over the other in space.

'You are now entering the Giemme Zone!' 👻

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The coincidence of blue colours makes it look like this:

...is two halves hovering one over the other in space.

'You are now entering the Giemme Zone!' 👻

:rofl: :rofl: I did it on purpose, you know... :whistle:  :rofl: 

39 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Very nice Giemme.

Chipping looks about right as you said.

Keeping things refined.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Haha 2