"Tony?" ..."Hien!" - Kawasaki Ki-61 Id

giemme

On 15/03/2019 at 22:06, TheBaron said:

Colourful.

Character-full work. :clap:

Sorry about the grievous de-masking on the canopy Giorgio; every build seems to hold one nasty surprise doesn't it? (You'll sort it in short order though...)

Thank you Tony, much appreciated! :thumbsup: Canopy sorted, see below.

'evening everybody. Some substantial progress was made during this WE, despite of not having much time for the bench.

I sorted the canopy by brushing on some silver acrylic laquer to cover the paint lifts

painting39

painting40

Back to the main airframe, I did some chipping on the yellow bands

painting35

painting36

painting37

All done by removing the paint with a toothpick, so to have the underlying alu coat showing through. The yellow bands also received a protective gloss clear coat

Same clear coat on the gear bay doors, so these are now ready for weathering

painting38

I resprayed Tamiya Gloss Alu to repair the lift offs on the fuselage and wing

painting41

painting42

As you can see, I didn't bother going over the gun barrel access panel, because it's going to be completely covered by a red patch (in the form of a decal, as supplied in the kit)

Time for Himonaru: I cut the corresponding mask off using my home made compass cutter

painting43

and laid them on the model

painting46

The bottom ones need a recess for the aileron actuators

painting44

so I completed the masking using a blob of blue Tack

painting45

The fuselage hinomaru has a surrounding white band, so I only applied the outer mask

painting47

and I also put on a quite intricate masking for the tail and stabilizers

painting48

Before airbrushing the red, I sprayed Tamiya Flat White on the fuselage hinomaru. The same went for the raised parts (ribs) of the elevators and rudder, followed by a dark brown pre-shade along the panel lines.

painting49

I did that for the top wing hinomaru

painting50

The idea is to reproduce a sort of fading by spraying red on different base coats. The bottom wing hinomaru remained on plain metal, while I did some pre-shade on the bottom side of the elevators

painting52

I allowed the white paint to dry for some minutes, then I put on the inner round masks for the fuselage hinomaru

painting53

the way to do that is to lay some placement tape (3M Magic Tape in my case) across the two circles, put them in place and remove the central one

painting54

And on with the red!

painting55

painting56

I used Italeri Insignia Red for the task, thinned with IPA. Several light coats went on, and after unmasking...

painting57

painting58

Not too bad, I thought, but upon a closer inspection I noticed a few flaws. A leak here

painting59

and here around the gun barrel through, plus some overspray on the wing leading edge towards the wing root

painting60

Some overspray, on port side hinomaru too, showing an annoying red ring around the white one

painting61

I should really have sealed the outer ring with some tape, instead of just brushing on some Aqua Gloss :wall: Next time, I guess...

Same on starboard side, although less noticeable

painting62

The red paint around the tail shows some metal, but I might leave it like that and call it chipping ... :winkgrin:

painting63

Anyway, after again a few minutes to allow the red paint to cure a bit, I sorted the overspray and leaks

painting64

painting65

And there she is

painting66

painting67

painting68

painting69

Finally, I removed the blue tack masking from the gun barrels, as it wasn't needed anymore

painting70

painting71

I didn't care to be very precise around the apertures, because as I said they are going to be completely covered by the decals representing the tape patches

That's it for this massive update, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 21

Turning out very nice Giorgio. Great job on the canopy touch-ups. Regarding panel line washes; I'm building a NMF Ki.44 at the moment and will be using this, a little less contrast than black...

tam87199__06488.1543865102.jpg?c=2&imbyp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent progress Giorgio, she looks absolutely spiffing!! :thumbsup:

Keith

Cheers K, thanks - glad you like her! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Turning out very nice Giorgio. Great job on the canopy touch-ups. Regarding panel line washes; I'm building a NMF Ki.44 at the moment and will be using this, a little less contrast than black...

Thanks Fubar! :thumbsup: I wasn't going to use pure black on the panel lines, except for the movable surfaces. Dark grey seems an excellent idea :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Superb Giorgio! :clap:

23 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent progress.  :worthy:

John

Thank you, Tony and John! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Really good Tony !!

Now let's see the ideogram on the tail....:evil_laugh:

No longer any Muhaha when it went to my own Hien.....

Must make masks since my choosen subject is not presented in decals sheets... 😓

Nice job my friend :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2019 at 08:58, amblypygid said:

Lovely work, Giorgio.

Thanks Chris! :thumbsup:

On 18/03/2019 at 11:56, bbudde said:

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:      :coolio:

Cheers Benedikt, thank you! :thumbsup:

On 18/03/2019 at 12:39, corsaircorp said:

Really good Tony !!

Now let's see the ideogram on the tail....:evil_laugh:

Thanks CC :thumbsup: But I'm going to use the supplied decals for the tail decoration... :whistle:  :)

On 18/03/2019 at 13:45, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Giemme mate.

Well tidied up sir.

Not over chipped either.

Simon.

PS nice masks...

Thanks Simon, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

21 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Great cutting tool you have. I use a good pair of mechanical dividers, but I really like yours.

Thanks baldwin8, it's just a scrap school compass my daughters don't use anymore, but still very effective; I did put a prescription needle in to do the cutting, which I just need to sharpen from time to time

13 hours ago, rob85 said:

That’s some delightful paint work my friend! Love how it’s is turning out.

Rob

Cheers Rob, thank you! :thumbsup: 

Next job is going to be the green mottling on the top surfaces, so I need to round up all my courage and abilities before proceeding  - and I also need to give the airbrush a thorough clean up, to avoid frustrating painting sessions...

I will practice on the spare half fuselage first, anyway

Till then, ciao!

• Like 6

Very nice Giorgio! I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to the green patches, but then that would probably have stopped me from building one of these anyway! 

Ian

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Next job is going to be the green mottling on the top surfaces, so I need to round up all my courage and abilities before proceeding  - and I also need to give the airbrush a thorough clean up, to avoid frustrating painting sessions...

I will practice on the spare half fuselage first, anyway

Till then, ciao!

hello Giorgio !

Look more closely at the pic ! The green mottling is very crudely done !!

I saw pics where there are some paint dripping from the blotches of green !!

Will see if I can found it back !!

Not a Michaelangelo job for sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Very nice Giorgio! I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to the green patches, but then that would probably have stopped me from building one of these anyway! 

Ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup:  After I airbrushed smoke rings on my C205, I feel I can handle these kind of jobs - whether they turn out good or not, that's a different matter ... :) 

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

hello Giorgio !

Look more closely at the pic ! The green mottling is very crudely done !!

I saw pics where there are some paint dripping from the blotches of green !!

Will see if I can found it back !!

Not a Michaelangelo job for sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC - I have a few pics of this very airframe, sadly way too grainy to be able to spot details. From what I see, though, airbrushing the green mottling should get an effect pretty close to the real camouflage

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That looks fantastic Giorgio!

Cheers Cookie, glad you like it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 06:02, Bigdave22014 said:

This site has some good pictures that illustrate the mottling. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/548454060849965216

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup: A couple of those pics are of the actual aircraft I'm modelling, one of Kobayashi's mounts.

On 21/03/2019 at 11:18, Biggles87 said:

Some of them look like they've been done with a large paintbrush, and not too carefully.

John

According to various sources, at a certain point in time these airplanes left the factory with the minimum amount of paint job, that is the anti-glare panel and the hinomarus; all the rest was painted on the field, often in a hurry. Not all the airframes received the camouflage, and when they did, it was casually applied and with no particular pattern

Here's a quick update before WE: I airbrushed Alclad Aqua Gloss on the red tinted parts

painting72

same on the bottom; here I first added some chipping to a couple of hatches placed right in the middle of the hinomarus

painting73

painting74

The effect is a bit crude now, but with a bit more of weathering they should look OK

Not much of an update, I reckon; more to come after the WE, hopefully.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

On 3/22/2019 at 7:38 AM, giemme said:

The effect is a bit crude now, but with a bit more of weathering they should look OK

Your effects are never crude Giorgio. I'd be happy to achieve them any day. :clap:

• Thanks 1