"Tony?" ..."Hien!" - Kawasaki Ki-61 Id

giemme

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The Six Nations rugby union tournament. Unfortunately the Italians are very much the underdogs, they try very hard but do not have much success.

I had the pleasure of watching Italy host the All Blacks in November. Despite the wholly one-sided nature of the game, I never heard a single Italian supporter complain, no one around us left their seats early, and they kept chanting and cheering their team on to the bitter end. They were even very kind to me after I butchered Fratelli d'Italia. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The Six Nations rugby union tournament. Unfortunately the Italians are very much the underdogs, they try very hard but do not have much success.

John

Ah, that! Yes, not the best moment for Italian rugby (and it's been like that for quite a while now.... :( )

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I realised that G - & I'm sure it'll be a whole lot prettier when it is! :)

K

Yes, but what I meant is that I have lots of chances to scr.w it up, too ... :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, amblypygid said:

I had the pleasure of watching Italy host the All Blacks in November. Despite the wholly one-sided nature of the game, I never heard a single Italian supporter complain, no one around us left their seats early, and they kept chanting and cheering their team on to the bitter end. They were even very kind to me after I butchered Fratelli d'Italia. 

That's quite typical of rugby fans, at least around here :winkgrin: And we do appreciate any attempt at speaking our language :) 

Ciao

• Like 2

On 04/02/2019 at 20:19, Spookytooth said:

All looking rather splendid inside sir.

Very nice work there Giemme.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks - much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 05/02/2019 at 19:28, The Spadgent said:

Oooh very nice G. I’m looking forward to all those little bits coming together. :yahoo:

Johnny

Yeah, me too :frantic:  Thanks J! :thumbsup: 

Apologies everybody for the lack of updates, but I caught flu during the week and that stopped any nightly activity, just couldn't focus on anything.

Anyway, I manged a bit of bench time this afternoon, but before this, here's what arrived earlier this week

am1

am2

I figured I'd replace the kit parts with these, since they are pretty prominent and very difficult to rework and render them similar to the real deal.

Anyway, today's job was all dedicated to detail painting starboard sidewall

cockpit18

A black tempera wash, drybrush with white (for the lighter colored bits) and dark gull grey (for the darker ones) and flat coat completed the job. Should be good enough to show a busy and worn look, once all the cockpit parts are in place.

That's all I have for tonight, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 12

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Get well soon Giorgio :) 

Thanks Ced, doing much better already :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Likewise G, hope flu flies away soon so that we can enjoy more of your colour work. 🤒

Thank you Tony, I'm becoming quite impatient about completing this cockpit now! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

As above. Dito.

Cheers Ben, thank you! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

From a fellow current 'flu sufferer, get well soon G - even when you have the dreaded lurgy though, you can still turn out some very nice paint work!

K

Thanks K, and take care! :thumbsup: I'm already doing better, as I said, and all in all it was no big deal, no fever but bone ache, sneezing, coughing and all the rest - not the best conditions to paint, really ... :drunk: :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 2

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Cheers Simon, thanks - much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Yeah, me too :frantic:  Thanks J! :thumbsup: 

Apologies everybody for the lack of updates, but I caught flu during the week and that stopped any nightly activity, just couldn't focus on anything.

Anyway, I manged a bit of bench time this afternoon, but before this, here's what arrived earlier this week

am1

am2

I figured I'd replace the kit parts with these, since they are pretty prominent and very difficult to rework and render them similar to the real deal.

Anyway, today's job was all dedicated to detail painting starboard sidewall

cockpit18

A black tempera wash, drybrush with white (for the lighter colored bits) and dark gull grey (for the darker ones) and flat coat completed the job. Should be good enough to show a busy and worn look, once all the cockpit parts are in place.

That's all I have for tonight, comments welcome

Ciao

ciao Giorgio,

have you ever tried AK wash? I find myself very well ...
also try to pass the ordinates with the basic color lightly cleared ...
helps to give more contrast to the cockpit

Silvano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, phantom61 said:

have you ever tried AK wash? I find myself very well ...
also try to pass the ordinates with the basic color lightly cleared ...
helps to give more contrast to the cockpit

Silvano

Not tried AK wash yet, I know you get along very well with that :thumbsup:  Sooner or later ... :wink: 

As for your suggestion: that is what I normally do, but this time I wanted to try a slightly different approach. To get more contrast I black based the whole cockpit, and before detail painting I drybrushed the sidewall ribs with white, to give a sort of scrubby, worn out look. It doesn't show very well in my pic, but I think it's because of the angle and the light source. The plan is to see how it all looks like before closing up the two fuselage halves, so I'm still in time to reinforce the effect, if need be :wink: 

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Phooey to the flu, but hurrah to interior details.

Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup:  :rofl: 

9 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice extras Giemme mate, should add well to the build.

Flu, Hot Toddys are the way forward.

Don`t cure it, but you end up not giving a fig!!!

Get well soon mate.

Simon.

Sounds interesting, Simon! :thumbsup: :rofl: And thanks for the appreciation! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 09:58, Biggles87 said:

Glad to hear that you're getting better G.

Excellent detail painting on the starboard sidewall, as usual.

John

Thanks John, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Here's a quick update: port sidewall completed

cockpit18

then this part behind the seat bulkhead

cockpit19

and the seat

cockpit20

cockpit21

cockpit22

All detail painting by brush, using Lifecolor paints. The wash is the usual black tempera.

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15

Hello Giorgio !!

Sniffing thinner will kill the flu germs… Seemingly…. Better Don't try it !!

Grog my friend !! Navy rum in hot milk and honey !!

Great job on the interior Giorgio, I'm Always amazed by your painting skills !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work G...!!

K

Cheers K! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

+ 1

J. 😁

English can be such a concise language, don't you just love it? :rofl: :rofl: Thanks for the appreciation, John :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !!

Sniffing thinner will kill the flu germs… Seemingly…. Better Don't try it !!

Grog my friend !! Navy rum in hot milk and honey !!

Great job on the interior Giorgio, I'm Always amazed by your painting skills !

Sincerely.

CC

No CC, I won't try sniffing thinner ... :nono:  :rofl::rofl: And the flu is gone now, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Thanks for the comment, too :thumbsup: There's still a lot of parts to be painted for this cockpit, it's taking ages to complete :frantic: 

Just now, The Spadgent said:

That seat looks great. 😮

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, I'm pretty chuffed at it myself :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 3

On 15/02/2019 at 09:21, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio - more great giemme detailing :) 

Thanks Ced! :thumbsup:  Giemme detailing? I should trademark that ... :rofl: 

How about a Saturday Night update? 😉

I put stickers on the IP, weathered and flat coated it; I also put a drop of Tamiya Gloss Clear inside each bezel to replicate the glass

cockpit23

A couple of the gauge decals are slightly out place, but I only realized that after brushing on Tamiya Gloss Clear, so there's no way to fix them now ... :chair: 

The IP decals performed very well, anyway, with just a few drops of setting solution needed to make them conform to the panel

I brush painted all the remaining details for the various tub pieces, and eventually glued them in place to form this

cockpit24

cockpit25

cockpit26

cockpit27

cockpit28

and with the sidewalls

cockpit29

Time to join the fuselage halves, me thinks! As said earlier, I'm not fitting the engine in; the instructions don't mention it, but in this case you can replace it with piece A43

fuselage1

and there she goes

fuselage2

As you can see, I also glued in the cowling spar, the bulkhead and the spine cover

fuselage4

fuselage3

All in all a great fit, except for the small gaps I already mentioned when I tried dryfitting it

fuselage5

fuselage6

fuselage7

Not a big deal, I'll sort them with some CA once everything has properly cured. In case you're wondering, the tub has to be fit from underneath, but I'll do that only after tidying up the joints.

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 16