"Tony?" ..."Hien!" - Kawasaki Ki-61 Id

giemme

Hi everybody; some time ago my good friend @Gene K pointed out this kit to me (not unusually :winkgrin:), so as soon as I had the chance I acquired it. It's the brand new Tamiya offering of the Kawasaki Ki-61 Id HIEN, also nicknamed "Tony" because mistaken for an Italian fighter (a Macchi C202, most likely) by the first american pilots who spotted it in combat.

Here's the boxart:

dav

And the content: three dark grey sprues

sprues1

sprues2

one of which is basically dedicated to the engine, a Japanese version of the German DB601, the same that equipped the C202 Folgore and the first versions of the BF109.

sprues3

Two clear parts sprues: canopies and few other details

sprues4

and half fuselage, which I won't be using 

sprues5

Two stickers sheets, which I plan to use as less as possible :winkgrin:

decals1

decals2

and a masking sheet for the clear parts (not pre-cut, though)

masks1

As far as the papers go, there's a Background Information sheet

masks1

A typical Tamiya instruction sheet

instructions

and a painting and markings sheet, with the two proposed aiframes

paintingoptions1

paintingoptions2

Guess which one I'll be building? :smile:

The very first step was to cut cut the clear part ready for a bath in Aqua Gloss, although as you can see they are crystal clear from the box already

canopy1

That's it for the moment. I have already started cutting out cockpit parts (there's many of them :frantic:), but no pics yet.

Any comment welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

This build will rock, particularly if @Gene K is involved 🙂--really looking fwd to the cockpit portion since Japanese WW2 cockpits generate a lot of great conversation--watching with interest--best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thanks for joining :thumbsup: Gene did mention something about the interiors color - specifically, I remember an issue as to when they started painting it Desert Yellow (or whatever it is, that's Tamiya callout for it anyway). Gene provided a lot of references too for this build, but I have no pics of the cockpit except for a close-up of the IP.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

Interesting subject, Giorgio. NMF?

Thanks, I'm actually going to do the camouflaged one. Which was actually painted on top of the NMF, so I'm doing both :frantic:

1 hour ago, baldwin8 said:

I am interesting in seeing how you execute the paint finish. Good Luck.

Thanks, and welcome on board! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Good weekend Giemme, I will just pull up a comfy chair and watch the progress on this little beauty.

Cheers Simon, mate! :thumbsup: Glad to have you on board!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yep grabbing a seat by the bar. :drink:The Tony is my favorite japanese fighter of the war.

Thanks Dennis, glad to know this is one of your favs :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thanks, I'm actually going to do the camouflaged one. Which was actually painted on top of the NMF, so I'm doing both

I built a Hasegawa 48th one in that scheme many moons ago Giorgio and really enjoyed it - looking forward to seeing you work your magic with it on this one! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Guess which one I'll be building?

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks, I'm actually going to do the camouflaged one.

YES! Not my scale or theme but I'll be watching for the tips, especially that challenging camo! :popcorn: 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Massimo said:

Beautiful subject Giorgio!!!

I'll follow this build with great interest!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for joining, Massimo! :thumbsup: 

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I built a Hasegawa 48th one in that scheme many moons ago Giorgio and really enjoyed it - looking forward to seeing you work your magic with it on this one! :thumbsup:

Keith

Welcome to you too, Keith! :thumbsup:

It's a good looking airplane, isn't it?

4 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Excellent choice. I've got the Montex masks for this one for when I get around to building it.

Thanks Bigdave! :thumbsup: Does the mask set incluse the letters on the flaps too?

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What?

Oh, I see - a Kawamacchi! 😁

Go it big G: this is sure to be a cracker.

:rofl: You are the king of neologisms, aren't you? Welcome on board! :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

YES! Not my scale or theme but I'll be watching for the tips, especially that challenging camo! :popcorn: 

Sure it's not your scale, although this going to turn out much smaller than your current build.... :devil: :rofl:

Glad to have you on board too :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Pssst everybody, don't tell him I'm at the back mooching around to see how it goes...

Too late, I've spotted you :rofl: Welcome on board! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hello Giorgio !

Still I made it page one !

Good, I'll shamelessly inspire myself for my own build !

If you Don't mind it, I will take a seat at the bar beside my cousin ! :drink:

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yep grabbing a seat by the bar. :drink:The Tony is my favorite japanese fighter of the war.

Dear cousin,

you gave me goose bump !! At first sight I did'nt notice the word japanese in your post...

My heart was about fainting !! :doh:

Kobayashi and Kobayashi again, one can think that there was just one japanese pilot for the Ki 61, and guess his name ???

Tamiya and hasegawa !! Same combat..yashi !!

Ok Giorgio, it's up to you now !!

Did you have some resin ??

WP_20170920_20_34_00_Pro

I play with this one...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What?

Oh, I see - a Kawamacchi! 😁

Go it big G: this is sure to be a cracker.

A Tony is Always a cracker is'nt it ??

Hooops !

CC

• Haha 3

I'm watching also, I have the Revell Tony so will be standing on an orange box at the back trying to see over everyone else! If you hear a splintering crash and some choice Anglo Saxon, don't worry about it and carry on regardless :D

Looking forward to seeing how the camo looks :popcorn:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !

Still I made it page one !

Good, I'll shamelessly inspire myself for my own build !

If you Don't mind it, I will take a seat at the bar beside my cousin ! :drink:

Kobayashi and Kobayashi again, one can think that there was just one japanese pilot for the Ki 61, and guess his name ???

Tamiya and hasegawa !! Same combat..yashi !!

Ok Giorgio, it's up to you now !!

Did you have some resin ??

Welcome on board, CC! :thumbsup:  No resin for me, the Tamiya cockpit is already very well detailed - amazing for an injection molded kit! Maybe some scratch built addition, though... :winkgrin: 

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I'll be watching from the bar, with Bill.

Carry on

Ian

Welcome to you too, Ian :thumbsup: The bar is getting crowdy, ain't it? :rofl: 

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

I'm watching also, I have the Revell Tony so will be standing on an orange box at the back trying to see over everyone else! If you hear a splintering crash and some choice Anglo Saxon, don't worry about it and carry on regardless :D

Looking forward to seeing how the camo looks :popcorn:

Still plenty of room, Clive! :thumbsup:  The camouflage painting should be an interesting job ..... :frantic:  :smile: 

Ciao

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks Bigdave! :thumbsup: Does the mask set incluse the letters on the flaps too?

The set I have includes inside and outside canopy masking, the hinomaru's, the tail lightning flash, masks for the yellow wing edges and the two styles of numbers on the landing gear covers (for each type of scheme).

Unfortunately it doesn't include the kanji on the wings or rudder. You have to use the decals for that. Probably too difficult to cut a mask for those.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

The set I have includes inside and outside canopy masking, the hinomaru's, the tail lightning flash, masks for the yellow wing edges and the two styles of numbers on the landing gear covers (for each type of scheme).

Unfortunately it doesn't include the kanji on the wings or rudder. You have to use the decals for that. Probably too difficult to cut a mask for those.

Thanks Bigdave, I kinda figured the kanji were too small to be made as masks, and now you're confirming me 👍.

Speaking of movable surfaces: all my reference material says that they were canvas covered; anyone has got any idea on how they were painted, then? Tamiya instructions here call for the same finish as the fuselage and wings :hmmm: 

Ciao

Giorgio,

I believe the fabric-covered control surfaces were painted with a grey-green dope, the name/FS number of which escapes me at the moment, but believe it was the same color as IJA grey. For the cockpit and wheel bays, I have attached a link to discussion on the J-Aircraft website that covers this subject as well as several others regarding the Ki-61. That should get you started. I think Nick Millman would be the man to ask. A couple of written sources have stated that RLM 79 is a good match, but I can't state with any certainty on the accuracy of that claim. 

MIke

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/ki61.htm

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Giorgio,

I believe the fabric-covered control surfaces were painted with a grey-green dope, the name/FS number of which escapes me at the moment, but believe it was the same color as IJA grey. For the cockpit and wheel bays, I have attached a link to discussion on the J-Aircraft website that covers this subject as well as several others regarding the Ki-61. That should get you started. I think Nick Millman would be the man to ask. A couple of written sources have stated that RLM 79 is a good match, but I can't state with any certainty on the accuracy of that claim. 

MIke

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/ki61.htm

Thanks Mike, highly appreciated! :thumbsup: For the interiors color, I selected Lifecolor Giallo Mimetico, which is almost identical to Lifecolor Sand Yellow, which is their rendition of RLM 79. Guess I got lucky this time :winkgrin:. Also, thanks for the heads up on the movable surfaces and for the link! :thumbsup:  That's going to keep me busy for a while!

Now, here's an early MondayUpdate - so early, in fact, that it comes on Sunday :rofl: 

I've started cutting off the sprue the many parts composing the cockpit; this is the kit offering for the gunsight

gunsight1

The reflector glasses are way too thick, and so is the aiming scope. So I cut the three of them off; I replaced the scope with a PE leftover, while the glasses will be replaced, at a later stage, with clear acetate coming from another leftover.

gunsight2

I brushed on a couple of coats of Aqua GLoss, then a black base coat (Italeri Flat Black), then Lifecolor Giallo Mimetico for the mounting bracket and a mix of Lifecolor Matt red and Matt Brown for the frontal cushion. ONce cured, I brushed on another Aqua Gloss coat, in preparation for some drybrush, washes and weathering

gunsight3

gunsight4

The back of the IP shows plugs for cabling, so I thought: why not?

IP1

and added some cabling from copper wire and solder

IP2

I also glued on some details on the fuselage halves

cockpit1

cockpit2

The level of detail is pretty good here, but I think it could use some piping/cabling. I'll add that once everything has cured

A quick dryfit showed that the fuselage will need some filler, right in front of the windshield

dryfit1

Under the engine

dryfit2

and near the tail

dryfit3

No big deal, but somewhat unexpected, after reading many reviews about this kit :hmmm: 

That's it for the day, comments welcome as ever

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 10