Academy 1/35 M113A1 ACAV (With Eduard etch)

Sairou

Hi all, been a while since I made a proper post on here.

My newest project will be an M113, with a main feature being the two Eduard sets I will be using on it. It's been a while since I got my teeth into a build like this, so I'm looking forward to it. 

lJ1JX83.jpg

x9KpoGR.jpg

This is my progress so far. Since the base kit hasn't arrived yet, I've been working on the photo-etch assemblies that stand on their own like gun shields and radios. So far so good, although the inside of the gun shields have a few imperfections. I'm using Gorilla gel glue as usual, and there are a few blotches where I used too much glue. We'll see how they look after a primer coat, I suppose, but that side will be covered by the guns/ammo anyway.  

Until the base kit arrives, this is pretty much my progress for now.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Soeren said:

That should be one of those #blingprojects I guess ;)

Very nice. Can't you get rid of the excess glue by sanding it off?

In theory, yes, although that is difficult around the more small and complex assemblies. Really, I need to get a good liquid superglue, but I'm unsure what product I can get cheaply here that is suitable. 

Having driven the Tank Museum's M113 in the past I shall look forward to watching this come together.

Will you be portraying an American, Canadian or Israelly version?

Roger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Having driven the Tank Museum's M113 in the past I shall look forward to watching this come together.

Will you be portraying an American, Canadian or Israelly version?

Roger

Most likely an American vehicle, but potentially an Australian one.

• Like 1

Finally picked this up from the post office this morning, this evening's work is as follows:

BPmJrlO.jpg

The recoil-less rifle has been assembled

UI4kbJy.jpg

I really like the look of this turret, but since I'm using the interior, I'd have to manufacture a turret basket or buy aftermarket.

xvX4r3M.jpg

talking about interior...

GfT2ERp.jpg

I may tear out the seats and change them a bit, perhaps add some cushions, or replace the plastic struts I used here with photo-etch.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Soeren said:

This is looking great already. :thumbsup:

Cheers, I'm having a blast, the exterior might prove more of a challenge.

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello ? ACAV’s are one of favorite’s, mind if I tag along ? 

Take a seat, and by all means, share any tips or additions you think I should do. This is going to be a long-term project (University means my build-paint cycle is drawn out since my airbrush is at home) so I plan on adding a lot of detail. Wiring in particular is something I want to do, but I don't have any experience doing it. 

Hello @Sairou .. I have a few photo’s in my collection, most if not all are exterior photo’s. I linked to Snapper_city’s build as he did a massive amount of interior work. Theres also loads of tips on weathering as well.

I planned on using this build for both a future ACAV build. That and some of the exterior info for my M48 build coming at the end of march. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cdTXzjn.jpg

yBGpuGy.jpg

The interior is just about done, there are a couple more details to add later like the control panel, and of course the engine. I maybe also add a bit of wiring if I can get hold of some thin wire. Next up is the roof detail and the ramp/door.

3mdobrY.jpg

LkwNxer.jpg

mqiwCyc.jpg

I've also been working on the 50 cal MG, and a 30 cal.

• Like 5

I have this same kit and photoetch and started it before Christmas but lost motivation on the way so i will be watching this to try and get some inspiration.  Can i just ask what are your thoughts to the engine compartment, will you leave it empty and not open or are you thinking of detailing it up and painting it?  I started painting and then thought why am i doing this if its all going to be closed up!

Its looking really good by the way.

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommygunn1972 said:

I have this same kit and photoetch and started it before Christmas but lost motivation on the way so i will be watching this to try and get some inspiration.  Can i just ask what are your thoughts to the engine compartment, will you leave it empty and not open or are you thinking of detailing it up and painting it?  I started painting and then thought why am i doing this if its all going to be closed up!

Its looking really good by the way.

Chris

I'm still considering it really. As to my thoughts, the Academy kit provides a good base, but engines are something that benefit a lot from wiring detail, which is something I haven't tried yet. As to painting interior parts, I'm of the mind that you might as well! I tend to photo-document my builds, so even when it's closed up, I'll know how it looks inside. A good example is the Panhard armoured car I made: the interior is barely visible on the finished model, but I have plenty of photos of it.

4 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Spent many a cold night at Ft. Lewis, WA trying to sleep on that narrow bench where the ammo cans are sitting.  

As a tall person, the thought of sleeping or living in/around one of these machines doesn't seem a nice prospect. With so little space, I'm not surprised soldiers tended to ride on top.

I think they rode on top in Vietnam as the it negated the risk in the event the vehicle ran over a mine or IED. The 113’s armour was really designed to protect the crew from small arms and indirect fire weapon fragments. It was never meant to be mine proof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plasto said:

I think they rode on top in Vietnam as the it negated the risk in the event the vehicle ran over a mine or IED. The 113’s armour was really designed to protect the crew from small arms and indirect fire weapon fragments. It was never meant to be mine proof.

Yeah, someone referred to it as a 'death trap' and they were right.

I know you are quite a way into this build but I thought you might be interested in this website - It belongs to a guy who is not only a Vietnam vet, he's also an author and modeller too.

http://www.cibthebook.com/

His books are pretty good reads (to my mind at least) but he also give some interesting details about his M-113 was modified, especially the replacement of the seats with something more practical

HTH

G

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

I know you are quite a way into this build but I thought you might be interested in this website - It belongs to a guy who is not only a Vietnam vet, he's also an author and modeller too.

http://www.cibthebook.com/

His books are pretty good reads (to my mind at least) but he also give some interesting details about his M-113 was modified, especially the replacement of the seats with something more practical

HTH

G

Thanks a lot, I'll check this out.

• 1 year later...