K Class Submarine, K22 (ex K13)

Here I present my interpretation of K.22, a K Class submarine of the Royal Navy and was nicknamed the 'Kalamity' Class due to its persistent problems that plagued its life. It was designed as a 'fleet' submarine and could exceed 24 knots due to its sharp bow and oil-fired boilers but took an age to dive. K22, ex k13 that sank in Gareloch with the loss of nearly half her crew, was reclaimed and renumbered as K.22 but the Royal Navy are a superstitious bunch and K.13 never left K.22.

Here is MicroMir's offering of a British K Class in 1/350, build here:

20190126-133432.jpg

20190126-133621.jpg

20190126-133703.jpg

When it was time to dive, the funnels were lowered into their recesses and at the same time, large hatches swung over to seal off the boilers, not always a success.

Stuart

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Massimo said:

Well done!!!

Cheers Massimo. The high nose is called a Swan bow and was a modification to help with forward buoyancy. The boiler room was not a very pleasant place to work being obviously very hot but very wet when it was rough seas as sea water  was able to come down the funnels, they wore souwesters. As for the smell, these boats were not intended to dive for long periods.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

Excllent model Stuart - it captures the look of the K boat superbly.

I love the white 'smoke' from the funnels - it's just a pity that you can't get black cotton wool....

They supposedly took around 15 minutes to dive - the boilers had to be shut down, the funnels retracted, the watertight(?) hatches closed etc etc.

One crewman described the boats as having 'too many bloody holes!' and one officer reported to the bridge 'My end is submerged - how about yours?.'

Ken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

One crewman described the boats as having 'too many bloody holes!' and one officer reported to the bridge 'My end is submerged - how about yours?.'

Cheers Ken. We must have read the same book.

Stuart

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Nicely finished and presented.  Seeing the funnels is just bizarre. Must have been terrifying submerging:(

Cheers Rob. Bizarre indeed but to act as a fleet sub, you had to be able to make 24+knots and oil-fired boilers and steam turbines was the only way. But, as you say, submerging was a bit of a nightmare and as mentioned above the sub had 'too many bloody holes' and in the beginning, took about 20+mins to dive! Once crews became more experienced, the diving times averaged about 5mins, the fastest being under 4mins...still a very long time when you have an enemy fleet steaming down your throat.

Stuart