F-16D Block 50 in 1/72

meindert

Hi

I want to build a F-16D Block 50 two seater in 1/72 scale.  It should have the larger "big mouth" intake (approx. 20 mm width in 1/72) and have an GE F110 engine exhaust along with the standard "thick base"  F-16C/D tail in USAF style.

Probable the only 1/72 kit is the old Hasegawa F-16D kit no. 00125 released in 2005...

165225-12192-pristine.jpg

I did not find any reviews of this kit on the net.

Can anyone who has the kit at home please check if this Hasegawa kit has indeed the larger intake for a Block 50?

Or is an alternative the crude 1/72 Hobbyboss F-16D "Thunderbird kit" , a Block 30? But does it have a large intake?

Thanks,

Meindert

I think that a better choice for making almost any F-16 in 1/72 is to cross-kit various Revell kits or/and Tamiya.

The other choice for modern dual-seat F-16 is Kinetic.

Revell has two-seat F-16B (04355) and single-seat F-16C Block 50/52 (04633).

You will get both intakes, both engines (jet nozzles) and tails.

Please study various Revell Germany F-16 packings, because there has been at least 10 different reissues since the nineties with different additional parts

You can find PDF assembly instructions at https://www.revell.de

Unfortunately, Revell has a nasty habit to stop manufacturing some models suddenly and as suddenly to issue them again in a new reissue, so if the models you need are "out of print", try eBay or similar.

Revell's F-16 is better than Hasegawa's.

The best F-16 in 1/72 so far is definitely Tamiyа, which is so far available only as single-seat F-16CJ. Model's fuselage is made in such a way that a dual-seat version is sure to follow.

Various F-16 intakes, horizontal and vertical tails and jet nozzles are also available as aftermarket parts.

19 hours ago, meindert said:

Hi

I want to build a F-16D Block 50 two seater in 1/72 scale.  It should have the larger "big mouth" intake (approx. 20 mm width in 1/72) and have an GE F110 engine exhaust along with the standard "thick base"  F-16C/D tail in USAF style.

Probable the only 1/72 kit is the old Hasegawa F-16D kit no. 00125 released in 2005...

165225-12192-pristine.jpg

I did not find any reviews of this kit on the net.

Can anyone who has the kit at home please check if this Hasegawa kit has indeed the larger intake for a Block 50?

Or is an alternative the crude 1/72 Hobbyboss F-16D "Thunderbird kit" , a Block 30? But does it have a large intake?

Thanks,

Meindert

It does come with a larger mouth intake and GE engine, same bits can be found on box D18 but be aware that Harm targetting pod and beer can antennas are undersized, also Hasegawa always sells to you a basic A/B fuselage which also comes with a shorter fuselage at the bottom (same error in their 1/48 or whatever scale kit). Either way both D and CJ are dirty cheap so instead of going after LM edition kits you can always pick two of them and still be able to build a basic C using the extra parts from the D model

Forgot source

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/General-Dynamics-F-16DJ-Block-50-Fighting-Falcon.html

15 hours ago, tsepajev said:

I think that a better choice for making almost any F-16 in 1/72 is to cross-kit various Revell kits or/and Tamiya.

The other choice for modern dual-seat F-16 is Kinetic.

Revell has two-seat F-16B (04355) and single-seat F-16C Block 50/52 (04633).

You will get both intakes, both engines (jet nozzles) and tails.

Please study various Revell Germany F-16 packings, because there has been at least 10 different reissues since the nineties with different additional parts

You can find PDF assembly instructions at https://www.revell.de

Unfortunately, Revell has a nasty habit to stop manufacturing some models suddenly and as suddenly to issue them again in a new reissue, so if the models you need are "out of print", try eBay or similar.

Revell's F-16 is better than Hasegawa's.

The best F-16 in 1/72 so far is definitely Tamiyа, which is so far available only as single-seat F-16CJ. Model's fuselage is made in such a way that a dual-seat version is sure to follow.

Various F-16 intakes, horizontal and vertical tails and jet nozzles are also available as aftermarket parts.

As for Revell goes

F-16C #04633 is the only box of which you are guaranteed to get Block 5 stabs, the extra pylons from sprue D but not the short tail housing

Any other F-16C made by them DOES NOT HAVE the Block 5 stabs and instead they all come with short tail housing plus a set of pylons from sprue D is always amiss

F-16A MLU #04612 early boxes sometimes had the crap whiteysh set of decals then as for earlier Block 5 stabs there is a 50/50 chance that some box will come with them, sadly there is no way to tell which one does and which one does not. I do remember my LHS receiving an earlier batch of them, and people wanted to pry the box open due  #04317/8 disasters and it didn't come with Block 5 stabs, instead the decals were good, another LHS either at Lucca or Pisa had two of them and both were bundled with crappy decals

F-16B #04355 earlier boxes did not come with Block 5 stabs, later on Ebay I found some which had them, also the one I received 6 months ago and not the first two I bought 14-ish years ago has mismatched sprue parts, others didn't but always lacked the very same pylons from the other F-16C boxes which are also amiss on most of their A boxes 'cept for #04663

F-16A #04663 comes with both short and long tail housing and Block 5/15 stabs

Whatever F-16A MLU either in catalogue/future or OOP doesn't come with Block 5 stabs and a couple of pylons on sprue D are amiss

Revell committed the mistake made from Hasegawa, they just made an A fuselage and slapped C parts on it, bottom fuselage length is correct

Slightly off topic

F-16s with good or crappy decals are not the only ones whom received the same treatment, I was searching through archives and unlisted Ebay items and found some nasty things

Earlier Tornado boxes and those are just a couple plus the famous and overpriced RSAF box mostly had the crappy whitey decals and were all Monogram reboxes, yet I found different RSAF listings with both good decals and crappy ones

Mid 90's Tornado boxes and those are around three or four can't really remember, were just Italeri reboxes, those reboxes were from Italeri #171 #164 #151 and #124 kits, I cannot say that much but the rebox of Italeri #164 was modified with a pod taken from an ECR box instead of GPB, also some of them did come with well printed decals and stencils

For the YF-22 they were more nasty and confusing basically any boxing labelled as #04314 IS the Monogram toyish kit, any boxing labelled as #4314 is the Italeri one, then years later to make things more confusing they recycled the kit number and released or reboxed the Esci F-5B, earlier release boxes did come with an extra sprue containing napalm canister and GPB, later they freaking decided to remove them, in both cases the instructions were prone to rot and damage your decals, so did the instruction sets from the A-6E, Su-34, F-117 and a couple of others from that period of time, if you have those kits please keep the decals AWAY from the instruction set :V

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 1

hi

thank you all for the info and suggestions. Plenty of info to proceed further.

Especially Luigi for the detail about the kit 00125 that thus indeed has the large intake and the link showing the parts.

As the Hasegawa kit 00125 is long sold out I will have to cross-kit. I still have a standard Hasegawa F-16D D15 (for a Block 25/30) on the stack and have a spare large intake and a pile of stores and pods.

Meindert

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2019 at 6:11 PM, Silverkite said:

It does come with a larger mouth intake and GE engine, same bits can be found on box D18 but be aware that Harm targetting pod and beer can antennas are undersized, also Hasegawa always sells to you a basic A/B fuselage which also comes with a shorter fuselage at the bottom (same error in their 1/48 or whatever scale kit). Either way both D and CJ are dirty cheap so instead of going after LM edition kits you can always pick two of them and still be able to build a basic C using the extra parts from the D model

Forgot source

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/General-Dynamics-F-16DJ-Block-50-Fighting-Falcon.html

As for Revell goes

F-16C #04633 is the only box of which you are guaranteed to get Block 5 stabs, the extra pylons from sprue D but not the short tail housing

Any other F-16C made by them DOES NOT HAVE the Block 5 stabs and instead they all come with short tail housing plus a set of pylons from sprue D is always amiss

F-16A MLU #04612 early boxes sometimes had the crap whiteysh set of decals then as for earlier Block 5 stabs there is a 50/50 chance that some box will come with them, sadly there is no way to tell which one does and which one does not. I do remember my LHS receiving an earlier batch of them, and people wanted to pry the box open due  #04317/8 disasters and it didn't come with Block 5 stabs, instead the decals were good, another LHS either at Lucca or Pisa had two of them and both were bundled with crappy decals

F-16B #04355 earlier boxes did not come with Block 5 stabs, later on Ebay I found some which had them, also the one I received 6 months ago and not the first two I bought 14-ish years ago has mismatched sprue parts, others didn't but always lacked the very same pylons from the other F-16C boxes which are also amiss on most of their A boxes 'cept for #04663

F-16A #04663 comes with both short and long tail housing and Block 5/15 stabs

Whatever F-16A MLU either in catalogue/future or OOP doesn't come with Block 5 stabs and a couple of pylons on sprue D are amiss

Revell committed the mistake made from Hasegawa, they just made an A fuselage and slapped C parts on it, bottom fuselage length is correct

Slightly off topic

F-16s with good or crappy decals are not the only ones whom received the same treatment, I was searching through archives and unlisted Ebay items and found some nasty things

Earlier Tornado boxes and those are just a couple plus the famous and overpriced RSAF box mostly had the crappy whitey decals and were all Monogram reboxes, yet I found different RSAF listings with both good decals and crappy ones

Mid 90's Tornado boxes and those are around three or four can't really remember, were just Italeri reboxes, those reboxes were from Italeri #171 #164 #151 and #124 kits, I cannot say that much but the rebox of Italeri #164 was modified with a pod taken from an ECR box instead of GPB, also some of them did come with well printed decals and stencils

For the YF-22 they were more nasty and confusing basically any boxing labelled as #04314 IS the Monogram toyish kit, any boxing labelled as #4314 is the Italeri one, then years later to make things more confusing they recycled the kit number and released or reboxed the Esci F-5B, earlier release boxes did come with an extra sprue containing napalm canister and GPB, later they freaking decided to remove them, in both cases the instructions were prone to rot and damage your decals, so did the instruction sets from the A-6E, Su-34, F-117 and a couple of others from that period of time, if you have those kits please keep the decals AWAY from the instruction set :V

Luigi

Luigi, are you implying that the F-16C is longer than the F-16A?

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Hey Meindert,

You're probably aware of this, but RoG just released a D variant of their tooling:

https://www.revell.de/en/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern-revell/lockheed-martin-f-16d-tigermeet-2014.html

Cheers,

Andre

Yeap, available already on eBay.

And that F-16D is still a Block 50 indeed, 192 Filo nowadays is equipped with Block 40's.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, Robertone139 said:

Luigi, are you implying that the F-16C is longer than the F-16A?

No, Hasegawa F-16 bottom fuselage is shorter, if you take Revell and Tamiya MLG doors have pretty much the same length, but if you take Hasegawa doors and compare them with Revell & Tamiya they are indeed shorter

Luigi

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, Hook said:

Hey Meindert,

You're probably aware of this, but RoG just released a D variant of their tooling:

https://www.revell.de/en/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern-revell/lockheed-martin-f-16d-tigermeet-2014.html

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for your tip. I have bought this Revell kit. It looks great though I have not checked (yet) if the decals are accurate