S.L.C 200"Maiale" - Completed

beefy66

Well in between painting sessions on the BPBC and things being a bit fragile to transport I took this into the Model club on thursday night to start and I nearly had it done in a couple of hours while chatting and building with good friends

only a few bits to add before painting and it comes with a couple of funny looking crew figures :hmmm: Hmm one looks familiar with that mask  :whistle:

IMG-5848.jpg

IMG-5849.jpg

IMG-5850.jpg

beefy

Edited by beefy66
Info added
  • Like 12

Hi Beefy,

When I saw ‘SLC’ I thought you were building a ‘Surf Lifesaving Club’ boat. 😀

But obviously not... would have been an appropriate subject  for a new thread starting today- given that it’s Australia Day. 🇦🇺 👍

Anyhow, submarines are always good. Must have been brave souls that operated those things! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2019 at 1:03 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hi Beefy,

When I saw ‘SLC’ I thought you were building a ‘Surf Lifesaving Club’ boat. 😀

But obviously not... would have been an appropriate subject  for a new thread starting today- given that it’s Australia Day. 🇦🇺👍

Anyhow, submarines are always good. Must have been brave souls that operated those things! 

yes steve very brave or some people would say stupid but brave men do brave deeds during war time

22 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice subject but it's a pity that they didn't produce the figures to sit on the thing, would make an interesting dio.

Stuart

Stuart I will be doing a small dio for this with the crew getting it ready for use on the dockside

Well construction is complete and first coat of paint on I used thin copper wire for the rudder control cables the instructions said use thread but the wire looks better I think

IMG-5851.jpg

IMG-5852.jpg

IMG-5853.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:09, beefy66 said:

It comes with a couple of funny looking crew figures :hmmm: Hmm one looks familiar with that mask  :whistle:

Well, its not me; wrong colour and insufficient tentacles for a start.

The "It wasn't me" Martian 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Well, its not me; wrong colour and insufficient tentacles for a start.

The "It wasn't me" Martian 👽

No Need to worry Martian I was not implying it was you I thought he looked like one of my family members (that is a different story)

On 1/28/2019 at 9:18 AM, robgizlu said:

More detail than I would have anticipated - looking very fine Beefy

Looking forward to seeing those figures tackled ;)

Rob

Yes Rob a very well detailed little kit have done a couple of these types from Italeri

Control decals and shield cover fitted more washes added and started on the figures

IMG-5858.jpg

IMG-5859.jpg

IMG-5861.jpg

beefy

• Like 10

Just now, longshanks said:

amazing amount of detail . . .

Are we allowed to mention a Gimp Mask?  :whistle:

Kev

Cheers Kev

You can only mention that kind of mask if you show a photo of yourself wearing one  :wicked:

beefy

Gidday Beefy, it looks a nicely detailed kit. Were these the machines that sank/disabled the Royal Navy battleships Queen Elizabeth and Valiant in Alexandria Harbour during WWII? Very brave frogmen, and I think the machines were nicknamed "pigs". Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Well this one has had a bit of a rest gathering dust on the top shelf so after seeing the dockside @longshanks was building for his Falmouth Key Punt thought I would give it a go with this and a dock crane from Verlinden more of a winch lift really but we will see what it turns out like.

So made the base up from king span and some hard board for the sides with a pollyfilla coating bit like baking a cake.  :cake: and then scribing in the crazy paving pattern.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

Some base colours airbrushed on the quay and start to build up the crane and some rather nice reference material for a future build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

On 29/01/2019 at 20:57, longshanks said:

amazing amount of detail . . .

Are we allowed to mention a Gimp Mask?  :whistle:

Kev

I had to do a double take about that chap as I thought for a moment it was @general melchett but then I realised that he was sans general's cap, battle pants and ostrich feather; you know the one he uses to keep in all the little goblins that live in said pants. 

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Martian said:

I realised that he was sans general's cap, battle pants and ostrich feather; you know the one he uses to keep in all the little goblins that live in said pants. 

I have no idea at all but I know that paints a very frightening picture to a young boy like me.  :whistle:

1 hour ago, BeeKay said:

Totally forgot about this mate, what a great turnaround though, looking great 👍

Cheers mate I nearly forgot about it as well under all the dust.  :facepalm:

More work on the crane / winch the resin for the boom was very brittle and it snapped so I have added a plastic tube sheath to straighten and strengthen it while making up some of the base components.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 6

I think that, whether you add the General's pants, cap and ostrich feather to Mr Gimp or not, you need to enter this in the ships diorama class at SMW. There is an award waiting for it.

Mystic Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Looking extremely promising Beefy B)

Rob

21 hours ago, Martian said:

I think that, whether you add the General's pants, cap and ostrich feather to Mr Gimp or not, you need to enter this in the ships diorama class at SMW. There is an award waiting for it.

Mystic Martian 👽

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Beautiful work on Maiale, beefy. :yes:   Impressive looking quay with very realistic painting effects. :clap2:

John

Cheers Rob and John

Martian if that award is for the best dressed Gimp suite in a model scene I think I will Pass on that.  :coolio:

I would really love it if the SMW show went ahead this year it would give a lot of people such a lift and inspiration for building more great models

But I sadly doubt it will happen until we know it is all safe to do so not a doubter at all I have had my first Jab and have signed up for antibody testing but I just think that 2022 is a safer bet for no I may be wrong it has been know before.  :whistle:

Small update seaweed and moss added using dried garden moss, model railway grass scatter and the Lifecolor moss and lichen set this was then coated in Olive Drab oil wash to dull and darken

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 5

Gidday Beefy, I have to agree with JohnWS above. And that stone wharf is looking more and more life-like (if a stone wharf could 😀). 

Those books have got me intrigued. Regards, Jeff.