Douglas F3D-2 Skyknight - 1:72 Matchbox

This is my Matchbox 1:72 Douglas F3D-2 Skyknight which I completed 19 years ago in 2000.

It represents BuNo 124620 “15”, of VMF(N)-513, USMC, at K-6 Airfield, Pyong Taek, South Korea, in August 1953.

Other than adding a couple of details in the cockpit, the rest of the kit was built OOB. The black was painted with airbrush with the rest by brush, except for the varnish.

Surprisingly, Matchbox only supplied markings for one side of the tail so the other is bare. Back then I hadn't yet started buying online so I had to make do with what I had available to me locally.

Thanks for looking

Miguel

XQidpln8SzzNuZShWTfXSM9kedlMRZvWbKqwvKV1

W8jFldlHR1nqrsZ5V3yH6dB8TfGmqvF2CFisB4VD

AQUnqh4CCRf9BSVNgBa2UZaVxArvy8nsK7PCPAAM

nyjcUU1wZw3Goi7LTxNZ2kyj5BP62GqI4UKGgRA8

dT3l8q6WBf9pavPNpTPrHUX92UWFm-WYdwW4Pjjy

kfRDcLzS5ttcMEq9_7TLubXlfFsY0W4YHU6qB8Yp

• Like 47

3 hours ago, John R said:

I have a spare decal sheet for that kit with a WF if you would like it. Drop me a PM

John

Thanks a lot John. I appreciate the offer but I finished this kit 19 years ago and once done, it's done! I only revisit kits when I have to repair them (if it's worth it) or scrap them.

Miguel

9 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I think Matchbox made an error in calling for the WF marking on the wing. This one clearly doesn't have it.

24WF+cropped+small+insignia.jpg

From what I have seen, some did carry them but it could very well be an error in this case.

Miguel

Very nice job. I had, but never built the Matchbox kit. But I did build the Rareplanes vacform for our branch Korean War theme for the IPMS Nats sometime in the 80's

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/03/2021 at 09:20, worcesterjohn said:

This is a kit I’m after at the moment, fascinating aircraft. Great job on the model !

Thanks a lot and good luck!

Miguel

Well done Miguel !!

Sooo, 19 years old RFI ?? 

Still looking like you finished it yesterday !!

Nice job Man !!

How did you store your finished models ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2021 at 09:19, corsaircorp said:

Well done Miguel !!

Sooo, 19 years old RFI ?? 

Still looking like you finished it yesterday !!

Nice job Man !!

How did you store your finished models ??

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks a lot! I store them in boxes so that they don't get dust and I can pile them making better use of space in my shelf. The contents of each box are indexed so I know where each kit is for whenever I want to look at them.

Miguel

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Thanks a lot! I store them in boxes so that they don't get dust and I can pile them making better use of space in my shelf. The contents of each box are indexed so I know where each kit is for whenever I want to look at them.

Miguel

Well done, I do the same. I found big sturdy boxes that can contain 4 to 5 built models !!

CC