Pass the Jug will ya

On 2/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, Kitchen Modeller said:

I didn't want the wash to contrast too much with the base colour so was careful not to go crazy with the black.

...and it turned out very nice!! I'm still struggling with too much contrast on my builds, but admitting the problem is the first step to a cure, right? ;)

Edited by opus999
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Wow, looks good, but I don't know I'd have the courage to try that!

Thanks Opus - There was 2 clear coats over the decals - gloss and Matt so I wasn’t too nervous about it - I was just sanding the clear coats but it does change the colours underneath slightly...

22 minutes ago, opus999 said:

and it turned out very nice!! I'm still struggling with too much contrast on my builds, but admitting the problem is the first step to a cure, right? ;)

I’m exactly the same. I don’t want the panel lines to stick out too much but I still want to see them. It’s tricky finding that balance. 

Hey all - Finally finished Sleepy time gal last night after taking a wee break to finish off the FW 190 D9 which I've also been working on: 

P47

I still need to add the pitot tube and glue the back canopy but she's pretty much done. I ended up going back over the upper side paintwork with some post shading as it was looking a little too dark for my taste - this is my first time trying this technique but I used a new airbrush (the Badger Soltar 2020) which is a great airbrush especially for high end detail work like this. I was quite happy with the result. 

Thanks to everyone who followed along with this build. I really appreciated the encouragement and suggestions.  Overall it was a very enjoyable build - it's a lovely kit, maybe the nicest I've worked on to date - decals were a bugbear but I think  they came out okay in the end. 

RFI is coming soon...:) 

• Like 9

Just caught up. Superb work. A few things. I usually put down a semi-matt on top of the panel line washes. Then I use soft pastels for weathering as I find the semi-matt provides more grip. Last build on a Lancaster I put down a second coat of semi-matt then tried out the filters similar to what you did here. I found the technique quite effective. Then finally the matt coat.

You achieved quite a subtle effect with the filters which is just right. They have the advantage of being able to be wiped away providing you have a good coat of varnish down. Anyroad great build, nice weathering.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tomo - in terms of my modeling, this whole area - post shading and weathering is still completely up for experimentation - so I’m trying to do something different each time I get to this point. It’s usually fun and as long as you’re using clear coats everything can be undone... I think which one I use will depend on what I’m trying to achieve. 

Swear I posted this last night?

Anyway, :clap2:She looks excellent, well, well done mate!

Been a pleasure watching it come together and you've done a fine job on her.

Off to see more pic's in the RFI :pilot:

Geoff 

• Thanks 1