Pass the Jug will ya

Very smooth! Like the finish, and seams are looking great, or not looking, as they're not there.

Looking forward to the black basing effect on this, something I've never tried.

:book: may just take a few notes...

• Like 1

Thanks Roger - I've dabbled with this effect on other builds, mixing pre shading with the light marbling effect but this is the first time doing it with a black base. Hopefully it will work out. I'm after this effect: 

51018178_10211020934157743_5218426427606564864_o

Not the plane I'm doing but rather the effect I'm looking for - lots of variation in tone - I realise that this is colourised and thus not accurate but its the tones and shades I'm referring to. I think black basing gets you closer to this than pre-shading alone.. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Hope the black basing works well, the picture shows alot more exhaust streaking than I've seen before, will you be weathering that much?

Probably not that much - at this scale, going too heavy on the weathering can skew things into the realm of unrealistic I think. I do like a weathered kite - especially these old war birds but not to the extent in the photo - if it was 1:48 it might be different. Getting a well worn, used look that’s convincing is the aim. 

• Like 4

This looks like a really nice kit and a joy to build. Lovely work so far. To be honest I prefer Thunderbolts in silver. That said, you've put in some good prep and I do like to see them heavily weathered in green (but no too over the top as you say). I think the black basing will pay dividends and looking forward to the rest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

To be honest I prefer Thunderbolts in silver.

Thanks Tomo - honestly, I do too... :) So the next Jug I do will be the bubble top in with all natural metal finish - but love the razorback in Olive Drab - as long as it's suitably weathered! 

Speaking of which... I started work on the paint job... opted to start with the underside. 

I made a mix of Tamiya XF 2 - flat white - and a little light sea gray - heavily thinned - about 80% thinner. I used Tamiya X-20A as I find this works better for close range work - this was applied in a mottled effect - otherwise known as marbling. I used the .25 mm needle in my airbrush and sprayed at about 20 psi. I'm still new to this technique but I think the trick is to keep your hand moving as when you stop, you create blobs with hard edges which I struggled to avoid doing. It's quite similar to doing actual mottling - as you would on a luftwaffe plane so it's good practice for that :). Keeping the right distance from the model is also a big help. 

46276878444_30d5da1e7f_b.jpg

You can see where I struggled to keep soft edges... I avoided going over the panel lines which gives a preshaded look - as I still want to see those panels lines... 

40036371723_e1b6a9fb95_b.jpg

All done with this part - this reminds me of the Silence of the lambs poster... Which is apt as I've murdered quite a few model airplanes in my time lol

Next up was the heavily thinned misty coat with the base colour - Tamiya Neutral Grey XF 53 with 2:1 white - this time thinned with lacquer thinner and a drop of airbrush flow improver. 

Painting p146949221312_bf3e0f827a_b.jpg

I was pretty happy with the result - however the retarder in the thinner often takes a while to do it's thing - I stopped there for the night and decided whether or not to put more coats on until I had seen it completely dry. Too much paint would ruin the effect I was after so I didn't want to risk it. 

The next day I felt it still needed another coat - the effect was too stark in places - so another couple of coats was applied to specific areas... 

46087207845_0a99427265_b.jpg

That's what I ended up with - well weathered but not too full on I think - looks quite dark in the photos - it's much lighter in reality. 

Painting p1

I wanted to keep going with the painting but I've caught a man cold bug and feel quite awful so there maybe a wee delay in the next installment - hopefully I'll get better soon... 

Cheers

John

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

For what it's worth I think Razorbacks look better in OD/NG, but on bubbletops I'm ambidextrous.

Agreed. It’s such a great subject with so many options. So many are tasty. I can see a few more of these in my future..!

Great effect there, like that a lot. Will give that a go on something soon I think (shameless stealing of ideas after watching someone else putting in the hard work...). Think you've got the balance just right, and the settings on the 'brush.

I really can feel my resistance weakening every time I look at this build. Mebbie just a quick look on Hannant's. See what SEAC decals they have.

Obviously wouldn't dream of buying a Razorback, just for curiositys sake...

Geoff

• Like 1

That looks great. Good balance of effect for the scale - visible but not over the top. To be honest we have to take some artistic licence in 1/72. I agree it looks more realistic than pre-shading. Yes the lighting tends to emphasise things but in reality it is more subtle. I'm sure the green will come out well, and with a few paint chips and subtle additions here and there, it will look the business. Even though the image is colourised you do get a good idea of tones. Also those tyres look well weighted.

• Like 1

Just seen this WIP , and now am watching with interest , I have one of these in my stash.,  that marbling effect looks fantastic , looking forward to see what happens on the upper surfaces :) 

I built the 1/72 Tamiya bubbetop jug for the STGB last year and it was a dream kit - this one looks the same ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Great effect there, like that a lot. Will give that a go on something soon I think (shameless stealing of ideas after watching someone else putting in the hard work...). Think you've got the balance just right, and the settings on the 'brush.

I really can feel my resistance weakening every time I look at this build. Mebbie just a quick look on Hannant's. See what SEAC decals they have.

Obviously wouldn't dream of buying a Razorback, just for curiositys sake...

Geoff

Thanks Geoff - I'm pretty happy with how this came out. Obviously it's not my technique. If you're interested in having a go yourself,  take a look at the someone Models channel on youtube - as he is the real authority on black basing  -  he has a lot of in depth videos where he really explores the topic and gives some great tutorials. The only tricky thing here is getting the marbling right but you can practice on anything before putting paint on the model - It took me a while to work out the correct settings for my particular airbrush. If this is too difficult, or your airbrush is not great at fine detail work, you can use a stencil like this. Another great advantage with this is that you hardly use any paint :) as you are spraying mostly thinner at any one time - great for skinflints like myself. 

As for buying a razorback and decals... you know you want to...! I'll make it easy for you.... Looking forward to seeing your version..!!!

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

To be honest we have to take some artistic licence in 1/72.

Absolutely agree - I've been working exclusively with 1/72 since I came back to the hobby and see it as a way to hone my skills before moving up to 1:48 - I do tend to over empathise details such as panel lines and weathering - if you go the other route, and build a 100% accurate to scale model, the result looks a little bland or just too toy like for my taste. It's a very subjective thing I suppose. As long as the builder is happy is the main thing. 

2 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

I built the 1/72 Tamiya bubbetop jug for the STGB last year and it was a dream kit - this one looks the same ! 

I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on the bubble top version which I actually think looks even better - Have it ordered at my local model shop so must give them a poke... :)

• Haha 1

Painting part 2...

Went to do the upper side of the Jug - it didn't go so well. I guess because I was feeling abit under the weather and my brain wasn't working... however I muddled on through regardless. Whatever happened, I couldn't get my paint mix right for the marbling layer - I suspect this may have been caused by switching to X-2 white instead of the usual XF-2 flat white that I normally use - ran out of the XF-2 the last time. The X2 is the gloss version so I guess has a different consistancy or something. But whatever happened, the marbling just wasn't happening the way I wanted. 

Upperside

Don't look too close - it ain't pretty. Hard edges everywhere. Even though it was far from what I wanted, I decided to press on. 

Upperside

After a couple of light misty coats of heavily thinned Tamiya olive drab - at this stage I thought it wasn't that bad - that I even might get away with it. This is what I ended up with:

Upperside

So not tooo bad I suppose - it still looks alright - this was just after I finished spraying so decided to let the retarder do it's thing. I can never judge if its there at this stage - it takes a few hours for the paint to completely dry so often it seems to sort itself out in that time. After a few hours it looked like this: 

Upperside

I guess I'm disappointed that it didn't work out as well as the underside - this is okay but not what I was aiming for - I wanted alot more variation in tone which it kind of has - but not to the extent I was going for. But at least it looks semi interesting - hopefully the oil washes and dot filters will bring it out a little more. 

I'll be moving on to the spot painting next so I have a question - this is the scheme: 

Scheme

So you can see that the area underneath the nose and the tail are the same colour - Tamiya instructions have this as light grey - however I'm wondering could this be actually a metallic colour? Such as aluminium or dull aluminium? Would love to hear your thoughts... 

Cheers

John

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
spelling
  • Like 7

I reckon you may be on to something with the flat v gloss marbling, John. Still, I think the finish looks very good both above and below. I've had a look at a few photos of Sleepy Time Gal, and there's nothing in them that suggests to me that those areas are metal.

• Like 1

Hello John !!

Great painting job on here !!

Really stunning, hats off  !

I've tried many times but I did'nt make it as good as your yet !

Congratulations !!

CC

• Thanks 1

I’ve tried black basing twice, and both times gotten similar results:

• The underside looks phenomenal! Wow this technique is great!
  • The topside looks... darker than normal? But certainly lacking the variation of the bottom. Would have saved time by just painting the damn thing...

Granted, I’m no expert by any means, just my experience. 

As as for your build, you’re doing a bang-up job! Can’t wait to see you wrap this one up!

• Like 1

It's usually simpler to do a postshade on the top color, since one can play a bit more with the  shading, without risking to cover to much.

There's also the possibility to go for a multicolored pressade with yellow, blue and red as the shadow colors.

With that said, I think you did excellent job here!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, amblypygid said:

I've had a look at a few photos of Sleepy Time Gal, and there's nothing in them that suggests to me that those areas are metal.

Thanks for that Amblypygid - I looked at the same photos and thought that it might have been dirtied up bare aluminium - but I think you're right - thanks for the second opinion...! 

Thanks for the kind words @corsaircorp @Courageous

9 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

The topside looks... darker than normal? But certainly lacking the variation of the bottom. Would have saved time by just painting the damn thing...

Hi RadMax - The topside didn't come out as well as I hoped - mainly due to the snafu with my paint mixing - the photo I posted is very dark (photography is a weak spot for me) so it doesn't look quite as dark in real life. There will be more photos coming soon so hopefully you can see what I mean. All said, I'm still happy enough with it and think it looks better than if I had just painted it a flat colour - though you're right, it would have been quicker - black basing is time consuming.  I'm very new to this technique so I'm going to allow myself some balls ups :)

5 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

If I get to Halifax show on Sunday, which I hope I will and I see one of these it'll be coming home with me. 😉

You won't regret it if you do Roger. This is a very nice kit. Easily the nicest I've done since coming back (sorry Eduard) Apparently the 1/48 version is even better... 

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

It's usually simpler to do a postshade on the top color, since one can play a bit more with the  shading, without risking to cover to much.

There's also the possibility to go for a multicolored pressade with yellow, blue and red as the shadow colors.

Thanks Christer - as I'm sure you've worked out, I'm very much experimenting here - what you suggest would have been easier but of course I have to push things out a little further. Next time I think I will try using a few colours in the marbling which would give more tonal shifts throughout. 

Thanks for the encouragement fellas - I really appreciate it :)

• Like 3

I think with weathering you'll have an excellent model at the end of this! 'Tis all looking good!

I like the idea of other colours for tonal variations, blues, reds, on the black base. Great tip that.

Still resisting temptation...

Geoff

• Like 1

Slowly dabbling along with a Tamiya VB Spitfire on here somewhere, and I've got Flyhawks 1/700 HMS Aurora on the go but I'm only getting a hour or two a week at most...

There's a dirty great big 1/24 Spit giving me evils from the shelf of doom as well but I'm hiding as much as possible from that beast!

Must try harder, as my school report always seemed to say.

• Like 1