Pass the Jug will ya

Afternoon folks - today I'm starting work on the Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt in 1/72 - this has been on my wishlist for quite some time so looking forward to getting stuck in. 

P47 unboxing

I'm just about finished the Tamiya FW190 D9 which was a simple kit (one sprue) so was quite surprised when I saw this: 

P47 unboxing

Heaps more plastic - the parts look really good - seems more like an eduard kit with the level of detail and way more advanced compared to the FW190 - pleasantly surprised.

P47 unboxing

I love the riveting - and it means I don't have to get out my riveting tools - again I wasn't expecting this as the FW barely has panel lines. This kit is on a different level. Very clean clear details. I should note that this is only my second tamiya kit. 

P47 unboxing

Some really nice cockpit details - I predict some fun times with a fine detail brush. 

I've got some aftermarket too - just a replacement instrument panel, some eduard seatbelts and canopy mask. I also got some turned brass gun barrels but from what I can make out, they're for a different kit - the gun barrels in the kit look really good also but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

I'll be starting work on the cockpit very soon - thanks for checking in. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

What will be the paint scheme ?? Pin uped jug ??

Can I take a seat ?

Absolutely...! Should have went into that in the first post - The kit has 2 schemes - I'm going with this one: 

SchemeScheme

How can you argue with Sleepy time gal? Kitted out in tank busting, general mayhem mode... Plus that yellow on the canopy. Yep. No contest. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Broke earth on this and started work on the cockpit. 

Pit

Removed the pieces from the sprue and sanded them clean. I did quick dry fit to see where I stood: 

Pit

Everything clicks together very nicely. So looks like this is indeed a well engineered kit. (famous last words..?) Time to slap on some paint. 

Pit

Pit

The instructions called for Tamiya flat green - one of the few tamiya colours not in my paintbox - however, it seems that everyone agrees that this colour is not entirely accurate in any case. So I mixed up a brew of nato green mixed with a little cockpit interior, some white and blue. I'm pretty happy with the tone I ended up with - it's showing a tad lighter in the photos. I gave it some highlights by adding some more cockpit green and white though it's very subtle and doesn't really show in the photos. I then painted the IP and some of the detailing in X18 - semi gloss black. I try to avoid brushing painting tamiya acrylics whenever possible as I find it difficult to get them to behave - a few coats of x-18 were required but got there in the end.  

Pit

Just another dry fit - nothing clued as of yet. Next up, I'll add some highlights and get the other colours into the interior - I'll add the after market IP, add some seat belts, and finally, do some washes. 

Thoughts and comments are welcome...! Cheers

John

• Like 4

Did some more work on the cockpit last night... 

Pit

I created some highlights by dry brushing a lighter shade of the green all over the interior - though you can hardly see it in the photo. 

45982225055_34be0a5237_b.jpg

I used vallejo metal color aluminum for the bare metal bits and citadel evil sunz scarlet for the red bits - I bought some citadel paints for these kinds of details as I was told they;re great for brush painting - expecially these little details. They are very good I have to say. I resisted the urge to bring out my usual tamiya panel line wash which I thought would be too heavy handed and instead made a wash with a heavily watered down mix of dark green - this is far more subtle but also meant I didn't have to clear coat the cockpit. 

Pit

This is the Yuhu Photo etched instrument panel that is apparently for this tamiya kit but you do have to modify it to make it fit. That wouldn't normally be a problem but this photo etch is very thick so was unable to just cut it with my modelling knife - or any other knife. I ended up having to file down the left and right ends which I've since painted black.  I put some micro crystal clear onto the different gauges which you can still see in the photo above where it hasn't dried yet. The gun sight was attached using CA glue.  I suspect I'll need to file this down further so I can close the fuselage correctly. 

Pit

Pit

The seat got the same treatment along with some dry brushed aluminium - I also dabbed some dark patches here and there to create some additional varied tones. Eduard PE seatbelts were added and glued into place. the head rest was painted with mixed vallejo colours. The control column snapped off when I was dry brushing of course and was well and truly lost to the carpet monster. I created a replacement using a paper staple with some crystal clear dabbed on for the handle. 

PitPit

The gun sight probably needs another coat or 2 but then I'm just about done with the cockpit. 

Thanks for checking in - comments are as always welcome. 

John

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
spelling
  • Like 8

Have been fiddling away with this but haven't got round to updating here but here we go. 

With the cockpit completed, I went ahead and closed up the fuselage. 

IMG_7037

No fit issues to speak of and some light sanding of the seam lines seemed to close everything up - the photo above is just after the initial close.  I'll wait til the primer goes on before making final judgments of course. 

The nose section got some attention next -  cleaned off the pieces and they got some paint: 

Engine

I used Vellejo Metal color on these - Dull Aluminium - it went on quite nicely considering it was sprayed onto bare plastic - I warn you now, I won't be doing much work on this as the engine will be covered up. 

Engine

The Engine cowling - I sprayed Tamiya XF-5 for the yellow green here and after masking, used Metal color again for the engine mounting. 

Engine

The finished engine block - after gluing together,  it got some touch ups with some Vallejo Model Air black and grey - then a wash of Tamiya Panel line Black. Nothing special but it does the job. 

I then got busy on the wings - the wheel wells got a blast of XF 5 as a base - I then dry brushed a mix of XF 5 and white onto the raised areas though you can hardly tell from the photo: 

Engine

I painted the little hydraulic with some metal color regular aluminium... I have a feeling that these areas will get alot more dirtied up before the end. 

The wings then got closed up... 

Engine

I didn't use my usual method of whacking on clothes pegs at this stage as I was paranoid about seamlines - which have been my arch nemesis on my last few builds - so I held the pieces in place by hand until the tamiya extra thin had set - this stuff dries very quickly so it wasn't a big effort. 

Engine

Things were looking good - so of course the modelling gods deemed things were going a little too smoothly - I had forgotten to drill the holes for the bombs and rockets...  Of course I only realised this hours after the fact. So it will be fun putting those on later...:) 

I did a dry fit with the wings on the fuselage: 

Engine

Engine

Looks pretty good to my eye. The fit of this kit is great. Of course I had to try out the nose as well... 

Engine

Engine

She is coming together - looks like a jug. This is still all unglued so you can gather how well it fits together. If you're wondering if I'm making an aeroplane noise while doing this... the answer is: yes, I am. 

as always... spelling
  • Like 10

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work on the Jug, your office is very well done. I do believe it was Zinc Chromate on the canopy, but thats just my opinion. 

Zinc chromate sounds intriguing - how would you mix that - what paints?

9 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

My understanding is Zinc Chromate varied a lot in colour but I use the Tamiya Yellow Green for my builds - the colour you used in the cowling.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

The Tamiya Yellow-Green mentioned by Grey Beema would work quite well. Most brands of paint have a Zinc Chromate Yellow primer in the line-up. Just make sure you purchase a definite Yellow Zinc chromate, as there is a green Zinc-Chromate as well. Though you could take a standard gold yellow or lemon yellow. Then add a drop or two of green at a time to tweak the color slightly. Heres a link to a discussion about it. 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/15673-chromate-yellow/

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Moved on with this and turned attention to the 50 cals. 

I got some after market 50 cal turned brass machine gun barrels from Aber - have never used these before and they are marketed as being suitable for every jug 1/72 kit out there - however, they're not that suited to this kit so if I wanted to use them, some modification was required. 

Filling

These are the gun assemblies (probably not the correct term so bear with me) with the 2 of the gun barrels molded into place - I thought these looked okay - there are separate pieces for the other 2 barrels and I played with the idea of just using these - however they were solid pieces of plastic so I decided to replace these with the after market barrels. 

Filling

Both of these bits would need to be messed with in other to force them together in perfect harmony. On the barrel, I snipped off the fat end with some wire cutters, then filed it down. The plastic was drilled out and I gouged out the back to accommodate the barrel. 

Drilled

This was done with all the barrels which were then glued into place with CA glue - I ended up with this: 

Filling

The drill holes are a little too big for the barrels but other than that, I think this is an improvement over the kit parts. I got some CA glue on the some of the barrels which was cleaned off with some nail polish remover. 

After that I went ahead and attached the wings to the fuselage. 

Filling

The fit was good but there was some very thin gaps which were filled with perfect plastic putty. 

Filling

There will be some cleaning out the panel lines and rivets required here...

Filling

There was a large gap on the gun assembly caused by a slip when I was sanding it - it's been filled but not sure if this is fixed until I get some primer on. 

That's it for now - thanks for checking in...!

Cheers

John

• Like 6

12 hours ago, clive_t said:

Only just found this, but it looks a great kit and you've done some excellent work on it so far - following now! :)

14 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Like Clive, missed the start of this build. Looks like everything has gone well and may it continue.

Good work. :yes:

Stuart

Thanks guys - Glad to have you along. Don't worry - there's plenty of opportunities for me to make some massive muck ups on this so stay tuned..! lol

just pulling up a seat you can,t beat a jug , great work so far 

cheers ian

• Like 1

:popcorn::pilot: Flying along with this build! 

Same as the guys above, sorry to have missed the start of this.

Great work with the pit, detail looks good, cracking scheme, and we're just about ready for paint!

Never done one of the 1/72 Tamiya kits but this looks up to the excellent standards they've set in all the other ranges. Can't wait to see more!

Geoff

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Never done one of the 1/72 Tamiya kits but this looks up to the excellent standards they've set in all the other ranges. Can't wait to see more!

Great to have you along as always Geoff...! This is only my second Tamiya kit - the first being the FW 190D9 - I'm really impressed with it so far. I'll be building many more after this I think - have quite a few in the stash..! 

24 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Great work - I'll be folowing along as I recently laid my hands on the same kit. Need to decide which aircraft to represent, but it'll certainly be an 8th Air Force machine.

Thanks Justin - this kit is well served with after market decals with a lot of options re. the scheme - I'm going with the kit supplied ones but there are so many others you can do - from all metal finish to RAF camo... I doubt this will be my last Jug! 

• Like 1

How did you find the 190? Just had a quick look on scalemates and Tamiya seem to have two, one that's a re box of a 70's Italaerei kit and one that they did themselves in 2000.

Now you've got me thinking of doing an RAF Jug... Must resist the temptation, too many other kits on the go/stalled/have no time to work on :lalala:

• Haha 1

Lol - RAF jug coming then? It has to be done. They look so good. 

The fw190 was a pretty good kit - it is showing its age but still produces a nice model. Very simple and it fits together well... V little detail in places and very shallow panel lines which I’m sure some people like... I’ve done 2 now and the first one was brush painted which obscured the panel lines completely- the air brushed one was better - just about finished it so expect a RFI fairly soon...!

• Like 1

Hi all - have moved this on a little... 

I needed to mask off the cockpit as I didn't want to use the masked canopy at this stage - as every time I've tried this in the past results in some damage occurring - so I'm going with the less risky option. 

Primer

I know this looks like a dogs breakfast - its some sponge rammed into the cockpit, which was masked over and then a coat of liquid masking fluid to seal the whole lot in. The problem was that the gun light sticks up into the air in a very awkward angle - so this set up is to accommodate that.  After this I cleaned the model off ready for priming...

The new technique I'm trying on this build is black basing weathering which funnily enough requires a black primer - so I mixed up Mr Finishing Surfacer Black 1500 with Mr Color Leveling thinner 50/50. It was my first time using this stuff so I was careful to get the qualities correct. I switched out my needle on the airbrush for a bigger .3 mm.  First coat went on... 

Primer

This dried fairly quickly so went around the model looking for seam gaps and other problems - everything looked good except for the gun emplacement on the starboard wing (as mentioned on my last post) - this needed some additional filler - so applied some perfect plastic putty and sanded it back. 

More coats of primer were then applied - I can see why some folks really like this primer - for one, you can really see what you're doing as opposed to spraying grey on grey (as I usually do). Any areas that haven't got an even coat really stand out. 

As mentioned before, I made a big effort to make sure my seam lines were looking good before the priming stage - I'm always so eager to get to the painting, I inevitably leave some whoppers that need to be fixed retrospectively - I think on this occasion, I've done a better job. 

Wing roots: 

Primer

Nose seam: 

Primer

Under side: 

Primer

Of course it doesn't hurt that the kit fits together so well - with that and me being hyper critical of seam lines during the priming preparation, I think I've got my best result at this point in the build. 

Primer

I haven't forgotten the horizontal stabilizers which were sprayed on the sprue - I'll be leaving these off until I can get the tail area completely painted - just makes this area easier to mask. 

Next up - painting stage 1...!

Thanks for checking in. 

John 

• Like 4