Grip 1/8 Porsche Build

Hello everyone, this is my new thread for my next build. Its a 1/8 scale Porsche Carrera RSR, very old kit. Clients wants a little extra detailing around the engine and under the hood but nothing too over the top. 

IMG-20190119-115207.jpg

IMG-20190119-115315.jpg

There is definitely a lot of prep work going to be needed as at first look the bumpers, doors and rear spoiler do not fit very well, and most of the body pieces have very heavy mould lines that will need a fair bit of work. 

Will post some more photos when I have the bodywork ready for paint. 

Thanks
Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
[email protected]

• Like 5

I remember seeing this beast in a model shop probably nearly 40 years ago. I wanted it then, but either couldn't afford it or didn't have the space in my home...

These must be rarer than hen's teeth these days...

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R

Yeah, these Entex/Eidai/Grip Porches are a real Grail kit these days, they go for around £600 on ebay.

I’ll be watching with interest and I’d be interested to see if the kit decals are still good after all these years.

Cheers,

Stuart.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, Stu_davros said:

Yeah, these Entex/Eidai/Grip Porches are a real Grail kit these days, they go for around £600 on ebay.

I’ll be watching with interest and I’d be interested to see if the kit decals are still good after all these years.

Cheers,

Stuart.

No the decals are in a poor state!!!!

Not a lot to report so far on this Porsche build, it's been mentioned that there are several issues with this kit and I would agree with all of those comments, even at this early stage. I have the body now almost prepared for priming. There are a lot of fitment issues, not to mention to mould lines and many rough edges. Not sure if some pieces have been bent over the years that my client has had this kit in storage or its just badly made!! The front bumpered needed a lot of adjustment, and the rear spoiler even more. Both doors were about half an inch out in lining up with the door frame and needed to be gently bend back, or into the correct position. 

IMG-20190125-173119.jpg

I have got the engine and gearbox together and they have been much easier to fit. But it is only the main block so we'll see how the rest of that goes. 

Hopefully I will have more to show in my next update. 

Chris
[email protected]

Here is another update on the Porsche, 

The bodywork prep is now complete and it is primed and ready for top coat of silver. 

IMG-20190205-153629.jpg

Engine work is moving along nicely with all the major components together and I've now been able to make a start on the plug wiring. I have the rear cooler (although i'm not happy with a visible mould line so will be redone) and turbo painted so they should now go together quite quickly. I can then complete the wiring and plumbing detailing around the engine so this phase will be complete. 

IMG-20190205-153702.jpgIMG-20190205-153653.jpg

Once I get the engine/turbo complete I plan to work on the chassis/suspension at the same time as the body paint is curing between coats. So hopefully they will come together around a similar time frame and then it's just a matter of putting everything together. So fair there hasn't been any major issues with the engine pieces of the kit, everything is fitting the way it is meant to. I do foresee a potential problem getting the manifold pipes to line up with the pipes that then lead to the turbo but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  

Think that covers everything for now

Chris
[email protected]

• Like 1

Here is an update on the progress on the Grip 1/8th scale Porsche RSR. The engine is now complete, I put a lot of effort into the detailing around the engine and getting the colouring of the turbo and tailpipes looking the way I wanted as well as the weld lines on the pipe joins.

IMG-20190212-113055.jpgIMG-20190212-113139.jpg

I have also got the chassis painted and the front suspension mounted.
IMG-20190212-145151.jpg

I haven't got around to the body paint yet as I discovered a major flaw in the fitment of the right hand side door. There was a quarter inch gap between the door frame and the edge of the main body so i have had to fill that with a piece of plastic, putty over it and sand down. 

IMG-20190212-145438.jpg

Its had another coat of primer since that photo so the next step is paint. I have also made a start on assembling the rear suspension which will be on the chassis in the next update.

Chris 
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
[email protected]

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more photo of the progress of the Porsche, the rear suspension is now on the chassis but there is further work to be done on the swing arms to remove the join lines after they were installed. 

IMG-20190221-124559.jpg

The silver base coat is now finished, took a lot of work painting, sanding, and re sanding to get a smooth finish and work out the small imperfections in the body. Especially with it being in such a large scale. Still need to finish the doors, they will then be positioned so I can paint the red areas, as the original red decals are too damaged to be used. 

IMG-20190221-010426.jpgIMG-20190221-105932.jpg

Chris

[email protected]

• Like 5

Few more photos of the work carried out this week, 

Started work on the interior, firewall, fuel tank, seat and dashboard. There are not any decals for the dials on the dashboard, not sure is they have been lost over the years or if in fact the kit didn't include any, but I have been able to make some which should do the job. 
IMG-20190224-191837.jpgIMG-20190224-191743.jpg

I have now prepared the hood and the doors in base coat, and masked the body up for the red paint to replace the red decals that we are not using. 

IMG-20190224-165848.jpgIMG-20190225-150424.jpg

Next on the list is to finished the dashboard, seat belts and some wiring that I plan to add to the back shelf which will be viewable through the rear window. 

Thanks
Chris

[email protected]

• Like 1

Its been quite a good week regarding progress on the porsche build, after masking off the body shell I went ahead and painted the red sections. Probably by more luck than judgement I got the masking just about right for the curves of the blue decals that separate the red and silver. We decided to give the original decals a try before committing to purchase a new set, and I'm very happy we did as even though they were in pretty poor condition with many cracks I was able to apply them without them deteriorating any further. I did suffer a few further little cracks on the rear bumper sections, those that needed bending around the curve but after a lot of trial and error I managed to get them to bend and stick, and hold together!!!! 

IMG-20190302-171600.jpg
IMG-20190302-171619.jpg

Still a little bit of tidying up needed but very happy with the results so far considering these decals are so old. In the next few days will be clear coating the body. 

Also been working on some details for the back shelf, and although not historically accurate I believe its adds a nice touch to the model, and more importantly the client does too. Due to this models scale I made my own electrical wire, using some braided tubing, fine modeling wire and shrink tubing. I'm finding working in this larger scale makes this kind of work quite a lot easier. 

IMG-20190225-101537.jpg
IMG-20190302-171452.jpg

Next up is to finish the front end of the chassis with the parts included in the kit, battery, oil tank, fire extinguisher etc, along with added a few more bits of extra wiring, while at the same time finishing the body ready for final sanding and polishing. 

Getting there!!!

Thanks
Chris

[email protected]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more photos on the build, not a major update as I have had a busy week. I have been able to get the dashboard in place and the steering mechanism is complete. 

IMG-20190312-145025.jpg
IMG-20190312-145048.jpg

Currently working on the details for under the hood, two tanks, battery and fire extinguisher which will all have some additional wiring and piping. 

Thanks
Chris
[email protected]

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've included a few more photos as the chassis section is now almost complete. I've added a little detailing around the front under the hood section, and the roll cage is now complete. This did not fit correctly out of the box and need a little manipulating to line up with the holes in the body section. 

IMG-20190315-145518.jpg
IMG-20190322-145514.jpg

I've also been able to get the engine installed, which I was expecting to be tricky, but was surprising quite easy as everything lined up correctly. 

IMG-20190320-154412.jpg
IMG-20190320-221248.jpg

Just waiting now for the body sections to fully cure before I can sand and polish them, the body needed a lot of adjustments made to the fitting brackets as the were very far off. Its not a kit that just goes together, needs a lot of tweaking both on the inside of the body shell and the top side of the chassis. But with a little trial and error and a lot of patience Ive got it to where i'm happy with it.   

Same goes for the rear spoiler, at the moment it doesn't fit the body opening and will need quite a lot of adjustment to make it fit correctly. 

Hopefully in the next update I will have the body finished, windows installed and finally positioned on the chassis.

Thanks
Chris
[email protected]

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the final update on the 1/8 Porsche RSR that I have finally got finished.  Once the front end detailing was done the model came together pretty quickly, with just the windows and external details that remained. 

Its been quite a challenging build, I think fitment wise was the worst problem either due to the quality of the kit or the age of it. There was definitely a fair bit of warping of the body and especially the doors, The rear boot lid also gave me some issues.  

All in all I think its turned out pretty well for a stock build other than a bit of wiring detailing that I added, its definitely a kit that you could really enhance if a full replica was required, but I think built straight out of the box it still is a good quality model.  

IMG-20190409-152709.jpg
IMG-20190409-152717.jpg
IMG-20190409-152731.jpg
IMG-20190410-155448.jpg
IMG-20190410-155550.jpg
IMG-20190410-155949.jpg
IMG-20190410-160015.jpg
IMG-20190410-160055.jpg
IMG-20190410-164443.jpg

I also made the changes to the seat belts to proper scale after the client agreed this was the way to go, thanks to Wim at bestbalsakits for offering the options to me that he had available in stock. 

Hope everyone has enjoyed the build, now it's time to move onto the next one,

Thanks
Chris
[email protected]

• Like 6

• 1 year later...