AT & T DH4a

Marklo

Since this is now taking most of my modelling time I thought I'd post a WIP thread. I'm building a Roden 1/48 DH4a in Aircraft Transport & Travel Livery Blue and Silver although opinion is divided as to wether it should be Black and Silver. I like hte blue so that's what I'm going to run with.

44920719364_21a69673ce_z.jpg

45595120212_e0e82ab895_z.jpg

45020761914_9302a22b39_z.jpg

First bit of assembley. It's a nice kit with sharp mouldings but everything is very thin and I had a lot of issues with alignments and fits. Not for beginners.

31626119527_82a1f48922_z.jpg

Some prelimary paint work and breaking out the oil paints for some wood effects.

39893691713_3059a17377_z.jpg

Teeny tiny eylets (1mm OD) attached to the undercariage for rigging wires

39893690273_fe1314ff86_z.jpg

Rigging of same in progress

46869211711_56197acb2d_z.jpg

Wheels on definitely needs a bit of cleaning up and retouching.

46144377534_6fa345e4f8_z.jpg

Vertcal tail added. I'd have put the upper desk on the Cat (my avatar btw, hes 20 so I suppose I have to forgive him his foibles) knocked it off the desk and I can't find it. Not the rug in the room I model in is a very short pile so it's more space time anomaly than carpet monster. However as the Roden kit comes with all the parts for the DH4 bomber ( and about 10 other variants) , if I can't find the decking I can always use the one from that version with just a little cutting. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

AT & T should indeed be black, as it was a subsidiary of the manufacturer (AIRCO) and used their 'house' colours. The Instone plane was the blue one and decals are available from Arctic Decals :

https://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=21442/386816

On most photos of AT&T aircraft the fuselage colour looks too light to be black.

Hmm gauging colours from black and white photos is notoriously dodgy as the various hues can vary wildly depending on the chemicals used to develop said photo and the age of the print.

AT & T should indeed be black,

Quite torn on this one, I like the blue and this is intended to be an OOB build, so no aftermarket decals, but black would be quite striking too. hmm *a bit like the Airfix blue Matilda Caunter camoflauge then : I painted mine grey btw) Or maybe I can quote Slartibardfast and say , I'd rather be happy than right' :) 

I find it plausible that AT&T used PC10 as a fuselage colour

I don't think I'd buy this as the wings are definitely silver not CDL  which would at least imply post war RAF schemes and no PC10.

On 26/01/2019 at 20:22, schulz_hl said:

Roger, do you have a contemporary source for that "house colour" statement? AIRCO did not manufacture civil airplanes before the end of WWI, so when were those house colours applied for the first time? I have a third hypothesis apart from black and blue. I find it plausible that AT&T used PC10 as a fuselage colour as all of their initial fleet were former military aircraft. On most photos of AT&T aircraft the fuselage colour looks too light to be black.

Airco painted several of its aircraft in a 'house' colour scheme in 1919, like the DH-4R and 9R racing planes (which had 'AIRCO' in large white letters on the fuselage.) There were others, including some DH6s I think.  It's possible that some of AT&Ts ex-military aircraft retained their military colours, but the DH16s were black and silver according to John Stroud's Aeroplane Monthly article and he was usually a reliable witness on colours.

That DH51 you mention on the WoP forum was painted up for a British Airways (?) TV advert a few years ago, which featured several vintage aircraft in pseudo-vintage liveries. I guess it was the closest they could get to anything appropriate in airworthy condition.   

• Like 2

46000144615_61b1463e51_z.jpg

The side walls on the kit were leaning in alarmingly so I've fitted some pracing to push them out to meet the upper decking. Odd kit looks lovely, nice moldings but a lot of flash and some very thin pieces that need quite a bit or reinforcement in the build. I've read reviews where the struts were drilled and reinforced with brass, hopefully I won't need to do this.

46914528301_c5be0b14d9_z.jpg

Upper deck dry fitted (and act of Cat repaired) now fitting without needing buckets of filler.

the DH16s were black and silver according to John Stroud's Aeroplane Monthly article

And the DH4a's ? Poised ready to break out some Humbrol 33 (but I do so like the blue )

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

49043875151_ebc310bf8b_z.jpg

Not happy with the silver at all, so shot it with some silver from Aldi then a very thin mist of humbrol metalcote aluminium.

49044884906_dce576efed_z.jpg

Much more like it. I also cut and fitted new windows as I wasn't happy with my first attempt, again much better. Next step finish the interior and it's on to struts and rigging.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

49335513692_4069ed3f19_z.jpg

Upper wing attached and all rigging wires in place. Just need to pull them through the lower wing and of course add in hte interplane struts. What you don't see is the AT&T decals which I managed to damage on both sides. In a fit of desperation I emailed Roden they emailed me back very quickly and they are sending me out a new set  free of charge (10 out of 10 to  Roden on their customer service), but it might mean I have to wait a bit to get the decals to fully finish the build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

49393325362_d2ed026da6_z.jpg

Started to tension and fix the rigging. The rear of the upper wing is sitting a little high, but the rigging is helping to pull it in, however it means I need to do one bay at a time and leave it to set. Still should be done soon.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

49492960652_88c4ef61a8_z.jpg

Free of charge from the (and I mean this sincerely) good people at Roden. That's brilliant customer support if ever I've seen it. Won't hurt the spares box either.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1