Airfix 1/72 Avro Anson conversion- The Kit That Came From the Unknown

Very nice indeed Moa, the Anson looks lovely and so do Ed's too. Great work chaps.  

I have the Special Hobby 48th scale kit and intend to model a Royal Navy Mk I with smooth cowls one day .

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed Moa, the Anson looks lovely and so do Ed's too. Great work chaps.  

I have the Special Hobby 48th scale kit and intend to model a Royal Navy Mk I with smooth cowls one day .

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

No  Chris, a civil one! :surprised:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Moa

I've managed to find a couple of photos of Guinea Air Traders Ansons - VH-AKH and VH-AYD (both in black and white)

The photo of AKH seems to show all over natural metal with aluminium dope fabric surfaces.  The engine cowlings (which are humped) are in a dark colour (black or red perhaps) with a thin cheat line.  It looks to have an emblem on the rudder (GAT flash perhaps).  There is also a fairing on the starboard nose above and behind the ventral window.

The photo of  AYD (which has crashed near Bulolo, New Guinea) has even fewer markings (just the rego).  The cowlings are not visible and it's not a good shot.

I can PM you these pictures if it would help

regards

Cashman

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cashman said:

Hi Moa

I've managed to find a couple of photos of Guinea Air Traders Ansons - VH-AKH and VH-AYD (both in black and white)

The photo of AKH seems to show all over natural metal with aluminium dope fabric surfaces.  The engine cowlings (which are humped) are in a dark colour (black or red perhaps) with a thin cheat line.  It looks to have an emblem on the rudder (GAT flash perhaps).  There is also a fairing on the starboard nose above and behind the ventral window.

The photo of  AYD (which has crashed near Bulolo, New Guinea) has even fewer markings (just the rego).  The cowlings are not visible and it's not a good shot.

I can PM you these pictures if it would help

regards

Cashman

Hi Cashman

Thanks for the help offering, I have photos of those, they can be found online.

I was looking for additional images of VH-AZU and of G-AHNT the latter in the tree-tone scheme (not the plain livery).

In any case I already commissioned the decals for the other machines mentioned above in the thread.

Appreciate the intention, though.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I reiterate here the comment added to the Junkers, Aero Commander, Percival and HP42 builds, in regards of duty calling and having to take a break from the building board for a while.

But hopefully will come back with renewed impetus for all the current builds.

The decals for this one are already in the mail coming to me.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Immense joy as I apply the myriad of masks necessary for this scheme. Helped in the area around the nacelles by that Canopy Survival set. If only the envelope they come in would be large enough to slide the sheets in an out without having an episode of high blood pressure:

IMG_4675+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Now on each window a thin linear mask has to be applied. Such is the honing of the Shaolin Modeling Monk, this time helped by Mr. Hobby fine line masks:

IMG_4676+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Those decals look great, how long did they take from ordering to arriving? (asking for a friend @hendie)

Ian

Not sure, since I bundle projects for the sake of efficiency and they are delivered together.

In any case, I don't think they are taking commissions now.

Your friend may visit the website.

Just caught up on these Moa - great work (especially on those little seats). Following now with interest :) 

• Thanks 1

Since I finally chose VH-AZU for this first model, the cowls I vacuformed and the engines I purchased will go to the second Anson, that will also benefit from some aftermarket perks. And yes, the whole remediation process will have to start again, commencing with sanding the ribs on the wings. Rolling up the sleeves, once more!, but at least this kit is not "pre-loved" by other modeler, like the previous one!:

IMG_4753+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

This is looking very nice indeed.

If you had been lucky enough to find a very early Airfix one that fabric would not be there.

That looks like the Flightpath PE set - it's far more than you need.

There is a Falcon canopy available too but it has lots of stuff you won't need.

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=102_106_107&products_id=354

Also a set with the engines and smooth (Oxford style) cowls but again, with more than you need

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_72&products_id=381

• Thanks 1