Airfix 1/72 Avro Anson conversion- The Kit That Came From the Unknown

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

This site is pretty good for civil Ansons. I don't know if it will answer your specific questions.

http://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/anson-civil-1/civilansons-1.html

I may be able to get more info about specific aircraft.

Hi Ed

Thanks for posting the link, yes, that was one the first sites I visited on my initial searches.

I only ask here after I have truly exhausted what is available online and in my small library.

If there is an Internet resource, it is highly unlikely that I haven't seen it yet, but here many times people had direct knowledge of the planes, or better libraries than my meagre one 😉

Thanks for posting the resource, it is useful.

Cheers

11 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Can't assist much with the colour of EI-AHO but it was originally G-AHNT and I found this picture

Anson-G-AHNT-in-Sudan-1956-Britten-Norma

Belonged to a company called Crop Culture Ltd and from the discussion that had this photo, someone asked for confirmation that the house colours were red/ silver. No one could confirm...

Does this help or confuse?

Jeff

This is great help, Jeff, because it automatically discards the validity of my assumption that linked the color to the emblematic color of a country, and in fact could be any color.

I will see if I can find anything on the company, sometimes stationary, stock and such provides clues on the company's colors.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Moa, I'm a bit late coming to this thread but maybe I'm just in time to point out an Anson detail ....

The ailerons in the Airfix Anson kit represent the very early type, only found on the K- serialed aircraft. It's not a massive job to reduce them in length. If you look at the photo of G-AHNT above you'll see what I mean.

Phil Pain covers the modification to the kit very well. Take a look at post 12 here:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

Moa, I'm a bit late coming to this thread but maybe I'm just in time to point out an Anson detail ....

The ailerons in the Airfix Anson kit represent the very early type, only found on the K- serialed aircraft. It's not a massive job to reduce them in length. If you look at the photo of G-AHNT above you'll see what I mean.

Phil Pain covers the modification to the kit very well. Take a look at post 12 here:

I Appreciate the heads up, Ivor, especially because the detail can still be dealt with.

The only thing to do first is to check against photos of the intended machine, since all were re-purposed planes, to verify that it derived as you said from later series (most likely the case).

I am still a bit hesitant regarding which of the many options I previously selected is the one that will be finally modeled.

Grateful for the tip and the post, Ivor

Cheers

Good work on the ailerons - all Ansons bar the prototype should be like those.

The tailplanes are a little out of shape too. There is a thread with how to correct them but it's now over 1000 posts, mostly not relevant. However I have the appropriate picture and i will send it to you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The tailplanes are a little out of shape too. There is a thread with how to correct them but it's now over 1000 posts, mostly not relevant. However I have the appropriate picture and i will send it to you.

Ed, are you guys trying to drive me crazy? never mind, I am already crazy, but the horizontal tail is already in place.

I hate Ulysses' Penelope-like un-modeling labors.

Send away, will see what I can do.

Darn!

Cheers

• Like 1

For this first Anson that as we know started as a rescued kit, I am now between two regs/finishes, both implying a certain degree of speculation, since only one image of each (in the livery I want) is all what was found.

I commissioned decals for both.

One is the Guinea Airways G-AHNT,  the other is VH-AZU.

Final choice will be made upon receiving the decals.

The second Anson, still in its box, will be VH-WMA of CSIRO.

I was mightily tempted by the London School of Flying machine, but you only model twice.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Yes, and that being said...

The additions have now to be blended-in, always a joy when the model seemed almost completed :blush::

IMG_2517+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Okay, I have sent you the tailplane pics. Here's my Anson

46212909101_dec45fdf23_b.jpg

Oh, my!!!!

Oh boy, that's a handsome 'anson!

Super work!

Thanks very much for the material you sent, received and filed.

But if I muster the energy to go back and correct the stab glued and primed as it is, you have to promise that you will do a civil Anson 😉

OK Ed, having judiciously weighed the material you sent, the part in the model, and the advanced state of the build, I have concluded that the main visual culprit there is the easiest to solve: the curve on the LE/tip, which I will correct referring to the material you so kindly sent.

We have to bear in mind that, for example -and most glaringly- the Airfix windshield does not really accurately represent the real thing either, and so on and so forth, so in order to achieve a balance on the build, and not to risk to break what is already there, that's the more practical and convenient solution for me.

I am concerned at this point with scribing the door as it was in the civil plane I am trying to represent.

Cheers and again thanks!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Moa said:

you have to promise that you will do a civil Anson 😉

Do you mean like this...............

46511572074_1386fd3c4a_b.jpg

although I can only claim partial credit for this one. I made and applied the decals and did a major repair after it was dropped.

I would have a go at that CSIRO one if I had the decals.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Do you mean like this...............

46511572074_1386fd3c4a_b.jpg

although I can only claim partial credit for this one. I made and applied the decals and did a major repair after it was dropped.

I would have a go at that CSIRO one if I had the decals.

Beautiful! The windows were changed.

Now I have to correct the stab on mine  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The windows were changed.

Thanks - more than just the windows. This is an Avro Nineteen derived from the Anson C.12. Parallel development to C.19. Higher roofline, different engines and cowlings and metal wings were main changes.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Thanks - more than just the windows. This is an Avro Nineteen derived from the Anson C.12. Parallel development to C.19. Higher roofline, different engines and cowlings and metal wings were main changes.

Very nice work!

You mentioned that you repaired it and made and applied the decals; did the builder (I assume it was another person?) based the model on the Airfix or the Special Hobby kit?

Yes, the same kit. Aeroclub and just about unobtainable. One for Dora Wings after they have done a Mk I.... !! ? Wally Civitico is on the other side of the country and made his own decals. I think I offered him gold ones to cover his yellow ones!

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/aeroclub-aircraft-1-72-avro-anson-c19

A hint here @John Aero  might still have some (from the same Wally)

http://www.airliner-civil-aircraft-modeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2049

• Like 1