Cessna 172 Skyhawk, 1/20, Nichimo

This one is being posted over at Large Scale Planes. So you may have seen it there as well.

This is my fourth build of this model. I first constructed it when I was a teenager and have had a kinky sort of love affair with it since. While only mediocre in terms of fit and finish, the designers went all out in providing fantastically accurate cockpit, interior and engine detail. (At least to the limits of what was common in the early 1980's.) 

The chances are good you know somebody with one of these in their collection:

DD0-C497-D-897-E-4-ECF-9422-DF3-D767954-

The model depicts the 1973 release of the airplane. But I'll be doing my best to replicate the interior of a later 1977 version.

Skyhawk-interior-lsp.jpg

Later, 1977 interior:

Skyhawksanschildseat-zps873555b9.jpg

This one is being constructed for a friend and he has a specific request as to colors. The bright blues would not have been my first choice.
He also wants the ship depicted in flight with doors and cowlings closed and a pilot figure at the yoke. Thus, I won't need to go crazy with engine detail.
The desired scheme but with a US N-number:
l5309.jpg

IMG-20190121-195249936.jpg

Not perfect, but close.

IMG-20190121-195323373.jpg

Sticky clear sheet used for instrument "glass".

IMG-20190121-204812329-HDR.jpg

IMG-20190122-002956071.jpg

More detail to follow. But I've got to start with setting up the pilot figure with a more realistic posture.
Cheers, gents!

• Like 15

Nice! Off to a great start in the cockpit John.

I can clearly recall seeing this kit in a local model shop many years ago and have always kicked myself for not buying it at the time.

Ive never seen one of these kits before ? In fact I've never seen a Nichimo kit in a hobby shop, and thats going back to 1979 ? I have seen a few Nichimo kits of other aircraft and ships at shows in that time. Think i will follow as this looks to be a good build. 

Dennis

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive never seen one of these kits before ? In fact I've never seen a Nichimo kit in a hobby shop, and thats going back to 1979 ? I have seen a few Nichimo kits of other aircraft and ships at shows in that time. Think i will follow as this looks to be a good build. 

Dennis

A local seller was asking silly money for a Nichimo 262 and 109 in 48. I read somewhere that the boxtop artwork was the only worthy thing.

Neat kit! I don't believe I've seen this before. :popcorn:

Must be a Kiwi-Bloke Pilot!

blokes-rules-for-planes.jpg

How a Bloke Drives a Bloke's Car: "The arm is always hanging out the drivers window. All times of the year. A Kiwi-Bloke Driver can be detected in any crowd because of the difference in tans of his left and right arms."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Neat kit! I don't believe I've seen this before. :popcorn:

Must be a Kiwi-Bloke Pilot!

blokes-rules-for-planes.jpg

How a Bloke Drives a Bloke's Car: "The arm is always hanging out the drivers window. All times of the year. A Kiwi-Bloke Driver can be detected in any crowd because of the difference in tans of his left and right arms."

What if the C172 is actually a winged car?

A fantastic kit! I was lucky enough to snag one at a bargain-basement price a few years ago when an ebay seller was closing out a huge stash of the things. But I've wondered since which year model the kit was intended to represent, and now I know. Thanks for posting those brochure scans, which have been right-clicked into my Cessna 172 folder. I'm definitely following this thread!