Free Enterprise II - Airfix 1/600

So! :D

A couple of years back I was at a modellingshow in Randers, Jutland, Denmark, where I spotted this oldie but goodie offered for sale for the princely sum of 75 Dkr (ca. 8£)! 

But - the seller told me - he wouldn't sell it to me, unless I promised not to sell it on Ebay for a large sum of money. I told him, that I always intend of building the kits I buy, and so I was allowed to buy it. :thumbsup:

As a child I remember seeing this kit in the Airfix catalogue so I was very happy to finally being able to getting it. :heart:

The box had had an accident being 'stabbed' and the kit had suffered from it resulting in a crack on the lefthand fuselage. :crying:

The first order of the day was therefore to repair this with some plasticcard. This done, it went back into the box awaiting more info.

And this is where it sat until now.

e5c6291b-20bf-4722-bd11-5f192d4da20c.jpg

The colour callout are for the old Airfix range, but luckily Vicarage Vee, Seahawk and Clipper  :goodjob:helped me with this, so now I'm good to go.

As it stands now, the two fuselage halves, the stern and the frontdeck are all glued together.

And may I take this opportunity to apologize for my lack of knowledge of the correct nautical terms - I am but a simple landweller with no experience of the wonders of the sea! :winkgrin:

This is all for now - and - as always - this build may take some time as it is the first shipkit I've modelled in ages! 

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 9

Brilliant, a real time capsule model, look at the cars on the box front, VW Beetle, a Morris 1100 (?) over the left side, a Triumph and a mini, the boat in Green, I only remember Townsend Thoreson Orange boats out of Felixstowe and Dover.

Looking forward to this being made.

• Like 1

Good to see this built. I have one going (for a very long time) . I need to learn the art of etching as I need to replace some windows that gone missing while sanding the putty.

I built one as a kid and really liked it and was very happy when I found a second one. The kit is old but I think that it still is a good one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Yep,  in here for tis one.  Never got one like with the SS. France. Will you superdetail it a bit or just nostalgic? Cheers

My plan is to put some ralings on it, but since this is my first ship build in times memorable I'd like to keep it a bit simple Perhaps some passengers?. :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Avro,

Do you realise this thread is over a year and a half old?

Tom

Whoops! Time sure flies when you're having fun. :blush:

I hit a snag with this one and haven't finished it yet! :sorry:

On 9/9/2020 at 10:13 PM, avro683 said:

I have bought one of these today so will follow this with interest. 

Looks like I'll have to follow your build instead! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 8:46 AM, Modelholic said:

Avro,

Do you realise this thread is over a year and a half old?

Tom

That's nothing, my Vosper thread just turned two years, and I'm barely halfway there!

Would be good to see this old model progressing Hans, I'd forgotten that Airfix did this.

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That's nothing, my Vosper thread just turned two years, and I'm barely halfway there!

Would be good to see this old model progressing Hans, I'd forgotten that Airfix did this.

Terry

Well - I have two Academy F-8's on the worktable at the moment, but seeing that I haven't been building a ship lately (as in 'not in 40 years' lately! :blush:), I may just return to this one as the next project. :hmmm:

Have even forgotten why I stalled on it! :hmmm:

Let's see - 2020 is still young! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 3

While we wait to see the finished build, "here is one I built earlier":

spacer.png

This shows you just how big/small it is:

spacer.png

I built it about eight years ago and one source of reference material was a short film on DVD called "San Ferry Ann" where Free Enterprise II is seen a few times. Typing the film name into Google brings up many sources of cheap copies:

spacer.png

The film is as you would expect from the stars appearing but it is still useful. There is no talking but just sound effects similar to a Ronnie Barker or Eric Sykes short.

Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, avro683 said:

I did but it’s the only reference build to the kit I could find. Sorry if I have opened a can of worms, that was not my intention.

Not to worry - no worms here - in fact your interest has only sparked my intention to start it again. It is on the 'to'build'-list at the top just after my Crusaders.

I've found that I don't do well in multible builds at one time. I therefore build one - and then the next.

I'm not sure, but I think that me pausing this build was because I joined a GB at that time and then forgot about this one. :hmmm:

I found it again after your first post with 1/700 passengers, railings and trucks so I'm starting to get exited about it once more.

So in fact I have to thank you for bringing my attention back to it! :thanks:

Hans J

• Like 2