1/72 Airfix A6M2b Zero - Learning as we go..

Here we have my first model constructed as an adult. I just recently picked up a cheap knockoff airbrush and compressor combo (sub-$100 - I'm sure you know the ones), and so grabbed a couple of cheap kits from the local hobby stores to practice. The Achilles heel of this brush really seems to be fine lines - my first attempt at preshading was a bit of a struggle. Everything is OOB apart from some not-quite-to-scale masking tape seatbelts. Lessons already learned include that I should just fork out the $5 for a canopy mask, and that getting convincing 1/72 cables from the ol' sprue stretch technique is not easy!

So, hit me with all your best criticisms, and don't be kind! I'm really trying to improve my technique here. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and thanks for having a look.

jBu2PSz.jpg

pqDnFDQ.jpg

Z5g7dYY.jpg

wi3lDkM.jpg

• Like 30

There is to my eyes not too much to criticise about your first effort. Yes the ariel wire is a bit too thick and I agree stretched sprue takes some practice, I gave up on that years ago.  I really like your Zero, good work.

Cheers Allan 

Much better than my re-return to the hobby a couple of years ago.

As for critique the thing that really stands out for me is the panel lines particularly on the rear fuselage. They are overstated, which may be a result of the photography. Mind you I'm a hairy stick user so I tend to pack those lines fairly easily.

Other than that power on and build more!

DennisTheBear

For a first time adult build, not that that should count for anything, their is not much if anything to fault.

Forgetting what the subject is and concentrating on quality of build and paint work, I see nothing to worry about. Learn to build a good clean model and get the basics nailed first before moving onto advanced stuff like shading and weathering, both which are very subjective techniques. Each build, try to improve on ONE thing and when you're happy, move to the next, and their will always be a next, always room for improvement, it's up to you on where you draw the line.

Happy modelling. May the ;force; be with you.

:goodjob:

Stuart

That's your first since returning to plastic as an adult?  I'm on number 17 (or thereabouts) and still trying to get them looking more-or-less like some sort of flying machine never mind actual accuracy.  Preshading?  I haven't even dared!  Great work... I hate you! :clap2:

• Haha 1

That is rather good and for your first time as a grown up you've got to be pleased. I agree with you about canopy masks - they're a must for me now. As for the wire, I use something called invisible mending thread - comes on a reel and will last me forever. But again, this is a great start.

Mark

Quite amazing considering it’s your first build - your childhood models must have been very good indeed. Precut masks will sort out your canopies- they are a must once you start using them. I use mig rigging for wires - which though pricey is well worth it. Next time try photographing your work on a white background- a couple of A4s is fine. It really helps the model stand out. Well done - I really like your paint work 😊

5 hours ago, milesburchell said:

and that getting convincing 1/72 cables from the ol' sprue stretch technique is not easy!

1 hour ago, MarkH206 said:

As for the wire, I use something called invisible mending thread

As you're in Oz, you can pick up "invisible" thread cheaply from Spotlight (comes in smoke and clear – I've generally used the smoke, but may as well get both). It also paints up OK, at least with acrylics. People also like Uschi rigging. I have a small reel, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

From someone that's interested in IJN and IJA aircraft, your Zero looks great, aotake and all! Do you mind me asking what colour you used for the camouflage? Was it IJN grey green suggested by the kit? I think the current consensus is that ame-iro (a caramel colour) is probably more "historically accurate" for the early Zeros (and most/all early WWII embarked IJN aircraft).

Apart from that and the aerial wire, the only thing that strikes me is the thickly painted framing of the canopy. You mentioned that you would get masks in future (good for extensively glazed planes), but sometimes you can get away with thinly cut strips of painted decal applied to the framing.

Regards,

David 

• Like 1

Looks awesome! I notice a bit of overpainting on the canopy. You can take a pin or small nail head or something and slide it gently against the edges of the painted areas to scrape off the excess, to get a really crisp look. Otherwise it's a rather incredible build for the first attempt in a while! Do some more!

-Gregory

Dude, there is nothing wrong with that Zero. I'd be pleased as punch if I could do as good. For removal of the extra on the canopy frames, might I suggest a wooden toothpick. It will help remove the unwanted paint without scratching the clear panels. As for the future, masks may be what you need. If/when I get to that stage with me Airfix Hurricane I'm going to try Tamiya tape applied to the canopy and a small Xacto blade to cut the tape out from around the panels. Old school for sure but I'm old and started school here:

24633628098_7d7b7f3d1f_b.jpg

Chris

On 1/24/2019 at 8:49 PM, DennisTheBear said:

Much better than my re-return to the hobby a couple of years ago.

As for critique the thing that really stands out for me is the panel lines particularly on the rear fuselage. They are overstated, which may be a result of the photography. Mind you I'm a hairy stick user so I tend to pack those lines fairly easily.

Other than that power on and build more!

DennisTheBear

You're dang right! The Mig grey wash I picked up specifically for this build still ended up being too dark in my opinion. I chose it over the Mig wash specifically for white aircraft - for some reason. Also, the panel lines in this kit are slightly exaggerated, although since I suspect this is to accommodate beginner brush painters, who are probably the primary audience for Airfix 1/72 cheapies, I get it.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, MarkH206 said:

That is rather good and for your first time as a grown up you've got to be pleased. I agree with you about canopy masks - they're a must for me now. As for the wire, I use something called invisible mending thread - comes on a reel and will last me forever. But again, this is a great start.

Mark

I've gotten so many great suggestions for rigging from this thread - I will endeavor to try as many as possible!

On 1/24/2019 at 11:23 PM, Dazey said:

As you're in Oz, you can pick up "invisible" thread cheaply from Spotlight (comes in smoke and clear – I've generally used the smoke, but may as well get both). It also paints up OK, at least with acrylics. People also like Uschi rigging. I have a small reel, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

From someone that's interested in IJN and IJA aircraft, your Zero looks great, aotake and all! Do you mind me asking what colour you used for the camouflage? Was it IJN grey green suggested by the kit? I think the current consensus is that ame-iro (a caramel colour) is probably more "historically accurate" for the early Zeros (and most/all early WWII embarked IJN aircraft).

Apart from that and the aerial wire, the only thing that strikes me is the thickly painted framing of the canopy. You mentioned that you would get masks in future (good for extensively glazed planes), but sometimes you can get away with thinly cut strips of painted decal applied to the framing.

Regards,

David 

This may have flown over my head, but since you mention IJN grey-green I assume you're talking about the interior colour? I was going to use Tamiya XF-76, but after seeing it in person in my local hobby store, it struck me as being too light. I ended up going with Mr. Hobby H312  FS 34227, only on the basis of what looked closest to photographs of restored Zero interiors I could find. Perhaps the restored versions are inaccurate? Anyway, H312 looks how I imagine a Zero looked inside, and so I left it at that.

That decal trick sounds very interesting! I will give it a go on some old test subjects.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:21 AM, Kilroy1988 said:

Looks awesome! I notice a bit of overpainting on the canopy. You can take a pin or small nail head or something and slide it gently against the edges of the painted areas to scrape off the excess, to get a really crisp look. Otherwise it's a rather incredible build for the first attempt in a while! Do some more!

-Gregory

On 1/25/2019 at 10:34 AM, dogsbody said:

Dude, there is nothing wrong with that Zero. I'd be pleased as punch if I could do as good. For removal of the extra on the canopy frames, might I suggest a wooden toothpick. It will help remove the unwanted paint without scratching the clear panels. As for the future, masks may be what you need. If/when I get to that stage with me Airfix Hurricane I'm going to try Tamiya tape applied to the canopy and a small Xacto blade to cut the tape out from around the panels. Old school for sure but I'm old and started school here:

Chris

I had seen the ol' scraping trick in build threads, and that was my plan - I did a test with some Mr. Hobby acrylic on an old canopy and found that it worked very well. However, when I finished painting this canopy with mixed Tamiya X-2, it just would not scrape off! Perhaps it's because I mixed Vallejo with Tamiya. I've also since read a thread where people are discussing the fact that Tamiya's acrylics may actually be some form of mild lacquer. Either way, I just could not get the scraping to work.

Anyway, thank you all very much for the kind words. It is encouraging. I did build many a kit in my childhood - I still feel sorry for my Dad's wallet - and I do my research in build threads, so don't think me some kind of natural! I will soon be starting a whole 1/72 Spanish Civil War collection, of about 10 aircraft, so hopefully I can finish that before the turn of the century.

• Like 1