Hasegawa 1/72 P-51B Mustang...

Brad

This aircraft was flown by Captain John England while he was with the 362nd FS, 357th FG. He survived WW2 with 17.5 victories and added another damaged to his tally in Korea. He as killed attempting to land in bad weather while low on fuel in November 1954. England Air Force Base was named after him.

The kit is the older Hasegawa 1/72 offering. It has very shallow wheel wells, but otherwise the detail is nice and the fit very good. I chose to paint the invasion stripes and the checkered nose because I hate decals that have to wrap around or hit areas perfectly; they NEVER do.

vmPJWXO.jpg?1

NsvJGnA.jpg?1

r67Mz3L.jpg?1

TDpyqTl.jpg?1

AngqhOr.jpg?1

CLcoyH6.jpg?1

f5o3PGm.jpg?1

• Like 41

Very nice Brad, maybe not the best or most accurate kit of this model but as you say, it makes up nicely & as you have shown so well, makes a lovely example of the best looking version of all Mustangs, a -B with a Malcolm canopy. IMHO of course. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MarkH206 said:

Looking good and I'm impressed by anyone who paints chequers. Can I ask what method you used?

Mark

Thanks mate. To do the checkers I masked up and painted the yellow first, then measured and cut little rectangles out of tamiya tape and carefully put them on. You can see I didn't quite line up one at the top. Lucky I still have good eyes and a steady hand. It was a bit tedious and took me about a hour and half, but I was looking at the decal and I could just see it was not going to fit, so believe it or not, doing it this way was much easier!

• Like 2

That's a great model! I admire the chequers and generally the super work on colour separation (in this small scale!). I also like the green camouflage. Just the final coat seems a bit too shiny (invasion stripes).

I wonder why you almost never see P-51 models with 110 gallon tanks that present the maze of hoses that were running between tank and wing. But this is a general remark, in no way aimed at your excellent model (and maybe too fussy for 1/72 anyway).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toryu said:

That's a great model! I admire the chequers and generally the super work on colour separation (in this small scale!). I also like the green camouflage. Just the final coat seems a bit too shiny (invasion stripes).

I wonder why you almost never see P-51 models with 110 gallon tanks that present the maze of hoses that were running between tank and wing. But this is a general remark, in no way aimed at your excellent model (and maybe too fussy for 1/72 anyway).

The shine is just the midday sun reflecting back. I actually thought I made the finish too flat.