RAF Ordnance 1960s-90s - In 1/48th, who makes the best?

NG899

Hi everyone,

Here's one to get the bomb heads talking... in 1/48th scale, who makes the best:

1. 1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 114 Free Fall Tail, 947 Tail Fuse
  2. 1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 114 Free Fall Tail, 952 Airburst Fuse
  3. 1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 117 Retarded Tail, 951 Tail Fuse
  4. BL755 / IBL755 / RBL755 Cluster Bomb Unit
  5. Matra 155 SNEB Rocket Pod*
  6. Matra 116 Rocket Pod
  7. Lepus Flare
  8. CBLS 100 and 4lb and 28lb bomblets
  9. CBLS 100 and 3kg and 14kg bomblets
  10. CBLS 200 and 
  11. Paveway II LGB / EPWII
  12. Paveway III LGB / EPWIII
  13. RN 2-inch Rocket Pod*
  14. Vinten Reconnaissance Pod
  15. Baggage Pod
  16. Phimat Pod
  17. 540lb Bomb

What do you think?

A simple Yes or No question to all respondents... Would you like a set of these produced, like Hasegawa used to do for many US armaments?

Many thanks

Nick

* I'd say ResKit

Edited by NG899
Additional item

4 hours ago, NG899 said:

Hi everyone,

Here's one to get the bomb heads talking... in 1/48th scale, who makes the best:

6. Matra 116 Rocket Pod
  7. Lepus Flare
  8. CBLS 100 and 3kg and 14kg bomblets
  9. CBLS 200 and 
  10. Paveway II LGB / EPWII
  11. Paveway III LGB / EPWIII
  12. RN 2-inch Rocket Pod*
  13. Vinten Reconnaissane Pod
  14. Baggage Pod
  15. Phimat Pod
  16. 540lb Bomb

What do you think?

A simple Yes or No question to all respondents... Would you like a set of these produced, like Hasegawa used to do for many US armaments?

Many thanks

Nick

* I'd say ResKit

The one that is desperately needed and not on your list is the CBLS 100  with  4lb and 28 lb practice bombs which were the most common PB's from the seventies  to the mid 80's

Selwyn

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The one that is desperately needed and not on your list is the CBLS 100  with  4lb and 28 lb practice bombs which were the most common PB's from the seventies  to the mid 80's

Selwyn

Flightpath do them https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17829&cat=276&page=1

13 hours ago, NG899 said:

Hi everyone,

6. Matra 116 Rocket Pod
  7. Lepus Flare
  9. CBLS 200 and 
  14. Baggage Pod
  15. Phimat Pod
  16. 540lb Bomb

What do you think?

Many thanks

Nick

* I'd say ResKit

Flightpath do a lot of these;

https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=276

Would be good if someone did them in injection pastic but I doubt it will happen.

Julien

5 hours ago, Julien said:

Yes but they are just really shapes  the CBLS needs to have the arming flap /with void underneath the tail seperate as this was always open on the ground with the safety break plug hanging.

Selwyn 

19 hours ago, NG899 said:

Hi everyone,

6. Matra 116 Rocket Pod
  7. Lepus Flare
  9. CBLS 200 and 
  14. Baggage Pod
  15. Phimat Pod
  16. 540lb Bomb

4. The only ones I'm aware of are Eduard, and they are very nice.

10. Reskit have just released some, and DACO do a very nice one as well. Flightpath is good but a bit fiddly.

11. Only one I know of is Flightpath but I'm not sure if it is a UK PWIII or a GBU-24. Only UK PWIII that I know about in 1/48 is in the Revell Typhoon, but the tail is a bit ropey.

1, 2, 3 and 16. I don't know of any aftermarket option for these...

Yes!

I guess though some would need to be very good and cheep if you intend to better Eduard and Wingman cluster bombs....

I also opt for decals....

Edited by exdraken

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Selwyn, your favourite CBLS is now included!

Tweeky, Hannants do sell a few but don't say which is best, i.e. most accurate; some of the stuff isn't cheap but is Completely Redundant and Absolutely Pointless...!

Julien, thanks for the pointers to Flightpath and Selwyn for your comments on their CBLS, which illustrates my above point... (You've all got the hidden acronym, yes?)

Thanks too for saying that it would be good if someone did them in plastic. (Who knows what may be possible???)

Bobski, thanks for the listing, very helpful and all added in to the list below. Wingman also do BL755s. 

1. 1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 114 Free Fall Tail, 947 Tail Fuse  >>>  NONE
  2. 1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 114 Free Fall Tail, 952 Airburst Fuse  >>>  NONE
  3. 1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 117 Retarded Tail, 951 Tail Fuse  >>>  NONE
  4. BL755 / IBL755 / RBL755 Cluster Bomb Unit  >>>  Eduard (Very good); Wingman (OK)
  5. Matra 155 SNEB Rocket Pod*  >>>  ResKit (Very good)
  6. Matra 116 Rocket Pod
  7. Lepus Flare
  8. CBLS 100 and 3kg and 14kg bomblets
  9. CBLS 200 and bomblets
  10. Paveway II LGB / EPWII  >>>  ResKit (Very good); DACO (Very good) Flightpath (Good, fiddly)
  11. Paveway III LGB / EPWIII  >>>  Flightpath (TBC UK PWIII)  >> Revell Typhoon (Tail???)
  12. RN 2-inch Rocket Pod*  >>>  ResKit (Very good)
  13. Vinten Reconnaissance Pod
  14. Baggage Pod
  15. Phimat Pod
  16. 540lb Bomb  >>>  NONE

All (and newcomers to this thread) - If I had to raid a kit, or several, to find good injection moulded ones, which do I need to buy for each item of ordnance?

Do the Airfix or Kitty Hawk Jaguars have anything helpful; or the Airfix Sea Vixen?

Thanks

Nick

58 minutes ago, NG899 said:

All (and newcomers to this thread) - If I had to raid a kit, or several, to find good injection moulded ones, which do I need to buy for each item of ordnance?

Do the Airfix or Kitty Hawk Jaguars have anything helpful; or the Airfix Sea Vixen? 

The Airfix/Revell Jag has the recce pod. Its fairly basic but looks about right and has decals with it

The KH Jag has the BL755s with fairly good detail but the tails are poor and the spinner needs thinning. The Airfix BL755 tails can be grafted on to make them better but not perfect. Decals from the Revell kit are the best bet all round for 48th Jags

EDIT: The KH 2 seater Jag also has a single CBLS and some little bombs to go with it. Theyre not great, but not terrible either

Lepus flares... noone seems to do these at all but there are some drawings floating about to make them up from sprue and scrap

Phimat pod - I forget the name right now but I seem to recall a French company make them in resin
Im certain Ive seen the baggage pod somewhere too, but its been a long week and Im starting to realise Im a bit useless with further info right now!

Edited by RMP2
Forgot about the CBLS

Hello!

Reskit made few sets from this list

BL755 / IBL755 / RBL755 Cluster Bomb Unit

Matra 155 SNEB Rocket Pod

Paveway II LGB / EPWII

RN 2-inch Rocket Pod

Some position from this list in progress

Some sets are not from this list in progress.  But they are UK armamebt too.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, Dmitry Stelmakh said:

Hello!

Reskit made few sets from this list

BL755 / IBL755 / RBL755 Cluster Bomb Unit

Matra 155 SNEB Rocket Pod

Paveway II LGB / EPWII

RN 2-inch Rocket Pod

Some position from this list in progress

Some sets are not from this list in progress.  But they are UK armamebt too.

The one thing that is really really really needed is a good British 540lb GP bomb - then a Herrick Harrier will finally be doable properly. Dmitry/Resikit - you can probably print money with a new one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

The one thing that is really really really needed is a good British 540lb GP bomb - then a Herrick Harrier will finally be doable properly. Dmitry/Resikit - you can probably print money with a new one.

I’d only need 6 in 72 and 48...

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 5:17 AM, Biggles81 said:

OK))) We will do it! Thank you for soviet!

But we need some information about it and photos!

Edited by Dmitry Stelmakh

Hi Dmitry and friends,

I know ResKit do both the Matra 155 and Royal Navy 2" Rocket Pods.

Are you saying you have the BL755 / IBL755 and RBL755 CBUs in development? I do hope so!

On the 540lb bomb, please PM me with your email address and I will send you some information over the weekend / early next week to help you with that and the other ordnance not yet covered in the list.

My motivator for all of this? Later this year Kinetic will be releasing their Harrier GR1/GR3 kit and we all know that the ordnance included in their Sea Harrier and T-Harrier kits needs improving, a lot! I know there are big cost issues for them of improving the existing sprues which, understandably, means that what we have now is very unlikely to be changed.

Dmitry, I think there is a big market for all of the ordnance listed above which will be very useful for the GR1/GR3 AND all of Kinetic's previous Harrier releases, let alone all the Harrier GR7/GR9s already marketed by Hasegawa/Revell and Eduard; plus all RAF aircraft from Hunters, through Phantoms and Jaguars to Tornados.

Cheers for now

Nick

Edited by NG899
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 4:20 PM, NG899 said:

As I know you can only get 1/48 1000 lbs in two version, from the Airfix Tornado Gr 1 set, it has 8 bombs and 4 twin carriers

Flightpath makes a detail set for iron bombs with fuzes and sway braces

Flightpath also makes a set with 4 1000 lbs M 17

The airfix bombs are very basic, and I have newer seen a flightpath version, lets just say I hope it better that their GBU 123

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17833&cat=276&page=1

The BL 755 are made by Wingman and Eduard

https://wingmanmodels.com/wm/Pulsar/en_US.Store.display.143./wmf48022bl755-cluster-bomb-units

The Phimat are made by L'Arsenal

http://www.larsenal.com/1-48-phimat-chaff-launcher-pod-x-2-c2x15950949

I think that L'arsenal also makes the Matra rocket pod

Flightpath does:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17828&cat=276&page=1

The 2 inch RN rocket pods I think you have to get from a 1/48 Airfix GR 3, SeaVixen or the Bucaneer

I also think that the Bucaneer has some 500 lbs bombs

Bo

Edited by Bo hermansen

Re the Mk 17 bomb. I understand that this was an export only design and never used by the RAF, not that it matters as every British post war 1000lb bomb  mark (Except the Mk 7) was externally identical all the differences being internal.  The only main difference being  the 50mm wide  bomb adaptor ring between the tail unit and bomb body introduce with the No 960 fuze, and the optional proximity sensor  nose dome introduced with Tornado in 1982.

There is no such bomb as the GBU 123,  Somebody in the past has read the nomenclature on the computer section (CPU 123) of a British Paveway II (UK)  (its the short section  between the cone shaped portion  and wing hub section of the nose guidance ,about 8"long) and assumed that this was the designation of the bomb.

Don't use the "2 rocket pods from  the sea vixen the noses are wildly inaccurate and most are short shots anyway.

The RAF/RN  used 540lb bombs not 500lb.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

The updated 'shopping list' now reads:

1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 114 Free Fall Tail, 947 Tail Fuse  >>>  NONE

1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 114 Free Fall Tail, 952 Airburst Fuse  >>>  NONE

1,000lb General Purpose Bomb, 117 Retarded Tail, 951 Tail Fuse  >>>  Flightpath (Poor)

BL755 / IBL755 / RBL755 Cluster Bomb Unit  >>>  ResKit (Excellent); Eduard (Very good); Wingman (OK);

Matra 155 SNEB Rocket Pod*  >>>  ResKit (Excellent)

Matra 116 Rocket Pod  >>>  NONE

Lepus Flare  >>> NONE

CBLS 100 and 3kg and 14kg bomblets  >>> Flightpath (NOT GOOD)

CBLS 200 and bomblets  >>>  NONE

Paveway II LGB / EPWII  >>>  ResKit (Excellent); DACO (Very good); Flightpath (Good, fiddly)

Paveway III LGB / EPWIII  >>>  Flightpath (TBC UK PWIII)  >> Revell Typhoon (Tail???)

RN 2-inch Rocket Pod*  >>>  ResKit (Excellent)

Vinten Reconnaissance Pod  >>> NONE

Baggage Pod  >>>  NONE

Phimat Pod >>> L'Asenal

540lb Bomb  >>>  NONE

Which gives me something to work with.

Any late additions?

Cheers

Nick

(James, the simple answer in both scales is ResKit: RS48-0060 and RS72-0060, 4 units in each, both available from Hannants.)

• Thanks 1