Pre War Bristol in Colour,......Filton, Blenheim`s etc!!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Another superb pre war colour film,...... especially interesting for those building their Airfix Blenheim`s,..... check out the colours, especially the undercoat primer!! 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-bristols-industries-1939-online?fbclid=IwAR0MPvujjz4qrcWkJTzfKRrC09UlxeLS9NzQ3BIFYgJPS58UNkjfXEgeQ_0

Probably only available for those in the UK,..... sorry,... not my doing.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Dang! Another un-viewable video. Oh, the nasty words that went through my mind. To see a colour image of a period Bristol exhaust collector ring. 'Tis the thing of dreams.

Chris

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Tony, apart from the collector rings, what caught my eye was the roundels, one aircraft had type B apart from underwing type A and the tear flown aircraft had no underwing roundels and type A everywhere else. Did you notice the Tiger  Moths? 

• Like 1

97. Airfix free / reduced postage costs for UK addresses 

98. Airfix Advent Callander prizes only available to UK addresses 

99. Formula 1 season races all viewed 'live' at a decent time of the day

100. BFI player to view Tony O'T's new video links - yep not available outside the UK!! 

Let me add this to my long list of reasons why I should live in the UK.  

Mind you, I do have another (longer) list of the reasons why I don't, however hardly any of these are model related! 

Cheers and  I hope the majority of you are enjoying these video links.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The film sections date from slightly different times: the Blenheim with the A roundels on the fuselage was an N serial, whereas that with the B roundel (post Munich, or at least approximately) was a later P serial.

The two aircraft cross over each other while taxying Graham,...... they were both there at the same time.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks Tony, apart from the collector rings, what caught my eye was the roundels, one aircraft had type B apart from underwing type A and the tear flown aircraft had no underwing roundels and type A everywhere else. Did you notice the Tiger  Moths? 

Tiger Moth`s,......I sure did,..... with the civil serials on the white rectangular backgrounds,...... that is why I said "Blenheim`s etc" ,......  well spotted though!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Not only that. but the A roundel followed the B, the previous marking being the A1 with its yellow rings in all positions.  (The original 1/96 Frog kit, IIRC.)   Which makes the appearance together of the two individual aircraft even odder, as the earlier aircraft has the later marking?  Time to dig out my copy of Bombing Colours... and perhaps a look at just when these two were built, and what they were used for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Not only that. but the A roundel followed the B, the previous marking being the A1 with its yellow rings in all positions.  (The original 1/96 Frog kit, IIRC.)   Which makes the appearance together of the two individual aircraft even odder, as the earlier aircraft has the later marking?  Time to dig out my copy of Bombing Colours... and perhaps a look at just when these two were built, and what they were used for.

Looking at the film again, I noticed the serials and wondering when the film was made. The website gives no date other than 1939 and so possibly looking at the trees etc, it looks to be late spring or summer and so one would expect the red and blue roundels as per the 'P' serialled aircraft and there is no sign of a yellow ring being painted out on the 'N' serialled Blenheim unless it was very neatly done by a respray. 

I also noticed that one of the Tigers had a military serial and also visible was what looked like an RAF Vega Gull and later in the film a yellow Hart Trainer. Watched it on my phone, but will have a look on my PC tomorrow. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

@dogsbody I did some screen grabs of the film, as there were some lovely scenes and I thought they were worth saving for posterity.

In the factory. Note the primer colour. It seems to change appearance somewhat, depending on the lighting.

46132498934_53108a8074_b.jpg

46132500594_905d6ee7e2_b.jpg

46132502254_64dbc71319_b.jpg

46132503484_6ed0d7b840_b.jpg

..and some painted examples. It's interesting to note that both A and B type fuselage roundels were being applied simultaneously.

39892540503_4ef7eae2cd_b.jpg

45942865975_2c34ff5b86_b.jpg

45942866785_578fb1e90b_b.jpg

46132512244_4e817d384c_b.jpg

39892547593_fd7e917ed8_b.jpg

..and just for interest, a few other types that (very) briefly appeared. I might go back and try to get a better grab which hopefully shows the Tiggie's wing registration better.

39892543333_8cb5461045_b.jpg

Hope this helps,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Just been looking a bit closer at the grab of the Tiger Moth and the top wing markings look very interesting to me:

It's hard to make out exactly what's going on, but I *think* that the wingtips are yellow, with the remainder camouflaged. What's interesting is that the registration is painted black on the yellow (?) portion, but it looks to me like it's painted in yellow on the camouflaged section. The registration may possibly be G-ABIA, but that was a Puss Moth, so maybe G-ADIA, which is a Tiger Moth (and survives to this day).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. It would make a striking looking model, don't you think?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Just been looking a bit closer at the grab of the Tiger Moth and the top wing markings look very interesting to me:

It's hard to make out exactly what's going on, but I *think* that the wingtips are yellow, with the remainder camouflaged. What's interesting is that the registration is painted black on the yellow (?) portion, but it looks to me like it's painted in yellow on the camouflaged section. The registration may possibly be G-ABIA, but that was a Puss Moth, so maybe G-ADIA, which is a Tiger Moth (and survives to this day).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. It would make a striking looking model, don't you think?

Cheers,

Mark.

At 5:29 it clearly shows G-ABTA and side code ‘5’ both in white on a black background. Interestingly the aircraft behind is ‘B’ on the yellow underside colour. Were they from two different flying schools?

Tony you’re turning into a ‘film ferreter’ now as well!

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed the Tigers and the unusaul markings too  Nice variation between them especially the codes at extreme left white on black then black on yellow .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Another un-viewable video

If you download and install a VPN (usually free) then you can change your ISP to the UK (or anywhere in the world for that matter) and watch this video, or indeed any national broadcast.  Their computer will think your computer is local.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@lasermonkey it seems to me that the upper wing registration needs further investigation (my iPhone screen is much too small!). The G and A are definitely black (but is that yellow or Dark Earth underneath) with the rest of the registration either freshly painted out or else painted in maybe Dark Earth???

Trevor

13 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

46132502254_64dbc71319_b.jpg

46132503484_6ed0d7b840_b.jpg

A final thought on this (frankly amazing) film. At one point Beaufighter MK.I’s were leaving Filton in a grey primer to M.U.s which were then painted up either for fighter or coastal duties before issuing to a squadron. Would this be the grey that was used? Does anyone know what exact shade this was?

Trevor

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:13 PM, dogsbody said:

Dang! Another un-viewable video. Oh, the nasty words that went through my mind. To see a colour image of a period Bristol exhaust collector ring. 'Tis the thing of dreams.

great find  Tony thanks!

• Like 1