Ebbro 1/20 Lotus 49b

Here are a few photos of my latest client build, its a Ebbro Lotus 49b in 1/20 scale from 1969 driven by Graham Hill. It is a pretty standard out of the box build, other than the tail pipes and rear suspension supports which are made from tubing. I used zero paints for all the body colours rather than the decals that were supplied with the kit, and replaced the original decals on the side to a set of aftermarket Gold Leaf decals. Nice kit but I found several issues with fitment which made things a little tricky at times. 

IMG-20190123-125841.jpgIMG-20190123-125852.jpgIMG-20190123-125908.jpgIMG-20190123-125919.jpgIMG-20190123-130010.jpgIMG-20190123-130113.jpg

Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
[email protected]

• Like 20

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely stunning work there. Very nicely done.

Those Ebbro kits do have some fitting issues, but I just can't resist the subject matter. I've built the Tyrrell 003, now lining up a Rob Walker Lotus after I've finished off a couple of things currently on the bench. 

• 1 month later...

Most impressed with your build here.  Have just made the same kit and I can vouch for fitment issues - particularly around the front radiator, the gearbox and the rear suspension.  I also could not get the front suspension to "hold" the front uprights so that the wheels could be steerable. and so I had to glue them straight in the end.   Too many very fiddly parts for my taste and an over-complicated suspension/hub build up in particular like many Hasegawa 1/24 Auto kits.  However I did appreciate the plug wiring, injection piping and reasonably convincing trumpet covers as well.  The latter is often left out of DFVs in this scale.  I also used Gold Leaf after market decals from Autosport Models in Hereford as well as Zero paints.

I got the impression that it was all a bit over-engineered and a scaled down 1/12 Tamiya kit rather than a properly crafted/measured 1/20 kit. 

However my abiding thought on completing the kit was how on earth did Colin Chapman et al convince themselves that the supports for those high rear wings would EVER be strong enough to last an entire race?  As Mr Clarkson might have told them - "What could possibly go wrong"....

• 3 weeks later...