AZ Models' Douglas X-3 Stiletto

hsr

On 1/25/2019 at 11:49 PM, hsr said:

I am too stubborn to give up.

I am much the same, have never put a build in the bin, well done for keeping with it. With her primer coat on, you should be chuffed, looks great (from here anyway)

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Major painting is complete. This may be sacrilege, but I decided that the white primer came out nice enough that it didn't need and over coat of white, so I went with it. The wings are Alclad Aluminum, the exhausts are Alclad Steel, and the lower tail is a mix of the 2. 

S9kHXMAQ_o.jpg

gC9iWIhE_o.jpg

cpiGy16I_o.jpg

zUFp5FTH_o.jpg

The white is an eggshell finish and I don't think it is glossy enough to take decals well so I am going to mask the wings and give it a couple coats of gloss. I should be able to decal by Friday. Back then.

• Like 8

If ever their was evidence that it is possible to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, then this is it. Very nice.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

you should be chuffed with what you have achieved so far.

I had to look up what chuffed meant 🙂, but I am 

Thanks

• Like 1

Just a quick update. It only needed 1 coat of glass, so I did the decals this morning.

j56RD5ol_o.jpg

I think that decals make the model :). The decals were very thin but went on fairly well. So tomorrow I will give it a coat of Alclad Light Sheen, remove the masking, add the wheels and pitot tuba and it will be done :party:  

• Like 7

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:21, pinky coffeeboat said:

Too true Mr Martian. Some reviewers would claim this totally unbuildable and fit only for the bin.

Jeff

Well, its certainly a crock of pig dung but this thread shows that it can just about be built with an inordinate amount of work. I certainly wouldn't recommend the kit to anyone though.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I certainly wouldn't recommend the kit to anyone though.

Definitely not for the faint of heart or easily discouraged.

Great build - I really like this aircraft. As a kid, it was one of my first Revell models when scale didn't matter and the box art sold the kit.

It's a real shame that AZ didn't use the opportunity to make a state of the art kit.

All the same, it's nice to see it kitted again.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Finished!! :yahoo:

KLNPWr5g_o.jpg

You can see more pictures at

It was a lot of work, but well worth it, and it was a relatively quick build. Thanks all those who have watched, commented and helps with suggestions:thanks:

• Like 7