AZ Models' Douglas X-3 Stiletto

hsr

I just got my AZ X-3, so this is interesting. I have to agree with some of the comments. My first impressions on opening the box were that it is not up to the standard of some of their other recent releases. I did notice on the box that this is labeled 'Limited Run Technology' so that may explain a few things. 

A disappointment for me is the representation of the small 'slit' intake just ahead of the main intakes, this is just a raised lip, and for me will need opening up. Also, the instructions have some nice colour reference photo's, one of which clearly shows an extended ducted exhaust vent above the exhaust nozzles, but this is not represented in the kit, so I would have to scratch build that. Interestingly, in the video clip posted above by Dimiter this is much shorter, so must have been modified later in the X-3's career.

On 23/01/2019 at 13:37, Dimiter said:

Also, gentlemen, does anyone know the right type of ejection seat used on X-3? Definitely not the one included in the kit, I am afraid...

I'm not sure if the X-3 actually had an ejection seat. The seat was lowered through a hatch in the underside, the pilot sat on it and was raised up into the cockpit, and the hatch was secured from the outside. Goodness knows how he was ever getting out in an emergency, which in the X-3 I believe there were quite a few. I think the kit seat is probably passable, but stand to be corrected on this point.

Anyhow, nice work so far, and this should look really cool.

On 24/01/2019 at 04:53, hsr said:

And the holes for the stabilizer are way off too. but that is relatively simple to fix

What do you think may be the issue here, hsr?

35 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I'm not sure if the X-3 actually had an ejection seat. The seat was lowered through a hatch in the underside, the pilot sat on it and was raised up into the cockpit, and the hatch was secured from the outside. Goodness knows how he was ever getting out in an emergency, which in the X-3 I believe there were quite a few. I think the kit seat is probably passable, but stand to be corrected on this point.

Actually there was an ejection seat, but it was fired downwards through a hatch bellow the seat, in a way probably similar to the ejection sequence in the first 40 (or so) early F-104A Starfighters. However, the type of seat used on X-3 is a mystery :)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Smudge said:
On 1/23/2019 at 11:53 PM, hsr said:

And the holes for the stabilizer are way off too. but that is relatively simple to fix

What do you think may be the issue here, hsr?

It is just the asymmetry between the right and left side. They are not mirror images. The bend in the tail between the upper and lower halves where the stabilizer  goes is higher on the right side then the left.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Some pictures that I hope you won't mind me sharing.

Please do. It is good to share :) and any additional documentation is welcome.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Smudge said:

A disappointment for me is the representation of the small 'slit' intake just ahead of the main intakes, this is just a raised lip, and for me will need opening up.

I noticed that, but fixing it is above my skill level ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hsr said:

I noticed that, but fixing it is above my skill level ☹️

May be to try carefully with a scriber? First to mark a groove and than slowly to deepen it...

This is how I think to fight it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:15 AM, Dimiter said:

May be to try carefully with a scriber? First to mark a groove and than slowly to deepen it...

Actually turned out to be a lot easier then I thought. Just scraped along the base of the ramp with the back of a #11 blade. And I only stabbed myself in the thumb once. :thumbsup2:

gpt8OhZh_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That looks good. Quite an effective method. 

I was thinking about replacing the whole thing with a piece of plastic card, or maybe drilling a line of holes with a very small drill bit and cutting out the slot. But scribing out a groove seems to produce a convincing intake.

Nice work.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Here's a photo of the seat. It was also an elevator:

4 hours ago, Smudge said:

Goodness knows how he was ever getting out in an emergency,

Looks like there is an emergency release handle on the hatch

• Like 1

So major construction is complete! :party:Not that there isn't still work to go, but all the main pieces are attached

p8jyyiv9_o.jpg

4JqjY8rz_o.jpg

DIhpthii_o.jpgaswHjkLI_o.jpg

However looking at this picture

gpt8OhZh_o.jpgI realized that the left right asymmetry expends to the canopy, even though it is a single piece :rage:, so I am going to have to redo the masking. Also on my punch list is to adjust the landing gear so it sits level and clean up the stabilizer. But I have suffered enough today and that will wait until tomorrow

• Like 5

Primed

vWe0gozj_o.jpg

5UGdhV0G_o.jpg

kdekFvIB_o.jpg

IbJifCxn_o.jpg

WhdyR8DI_o.jpg

I am guessing it will probably require at least one more iteration of sanding and priming, but I think it looks pretty good :happy:. I won't bore you with the iterations so I'll be back when there is something more interesting to look at. I do want to thank all of you for inspiring me so far to make something better then I would have by myself. :thanks:

• Like 7

Received my kit today, Considering how nice it looks in the box, those asymmetries are perplexing. It's almost as if different drawings were used for the fuselage halves. I hope the folks at AZmodel are following this and learning from it.

I'll have to pull my Maintrack Project-X vacform kit out of storage for comparison.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

It's almost as if different drawings were used for the fuselage halves.

I have 2 of them, (don't ask why) and they both have the same asymmetries. I was thinking different people worked on each half.

Good luck with it.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:37 AM, Dimiter said:

Also, gentlemen, does anyone knows the right type of ejection seat used on X-3? Definitely not the one included in the kit, I am afraid...

I took these pics at the Air Force Museum when they had the  ejection seat lowered for maintenance.

resized_a7d0faa8-c23a-4a61-ad39-4bd842ef

resized_04c8a28c-fa30-4a45-8b4c-1d652344

More X-3 pics are at https://daytonipms.org/x-3

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2