Warbirds 1/72 Sopwith Snipe - my first vacform - finished!

Jonners

That glacier has shifted a bit further downhill again.  The model has been given a couple of coats of silver (aerosol Humbrol Polished Aluminium) and it feels like it's starting to look like a Snipe.  The fin has been painted yellow and pinned to the rear fuselage, and the rudder is white in preparation for striping:

20190223_193721

The prop is being given a vaguely wooden effect, as that's what I want for the hub section, before the majority of each blade gets another coat of grey primer for the final finish:

20190223_193658

I had intended to add the centre-section struts while the model was still in primer, as superglue can really mess up a silver finish, but I completely forgot. Oh well. That will be the next job (using the carved-'n-sanded cocktail stick in the previous photo), and I want to represent the undercarriage bungees somehow. Perhaps I could use some EZ-Line... I should also have thought sooner about adding the prominent Vickers guns, but I'm sure I'll work something out:

20190223_193739

I've decided to finish it as the RAF Museum's E6655, as the scheme is straightforward and smart, and reference photos are plentiful.

20190223_193754

I'm quite pleased with the result so far, and I'll certainly be quite happy to tackle another vacform in the future.

Jon

• Like 8

Centre-section struts in place:

20190223_232039

In this close-up photo they don't look even remotely aerofoil-shaped, as I thought they were! On the model they actually look okay, but I'll look again with fresh eyes tomorrow.

• Like 8

More slowly-but-surely progress squeezed in between the priorities of real life.

I printed off some serials and code letters onto clear decal sheet in as close to the correct font as I could manage. A quick lick of Humbrol Gloss Cote sealed them before they were applied onto wet Johnson's Klear:

20190226_193219

Roundels came from the spare decals file. The blue of the upper wing roundels should be slightly narrower but this was the closest I could find - blue/white from a 1/48 Spitfire 16 and the red centres from an old 1/72 Aeroclub Gamecock sheet. Waste not, want not...

20190226_193237

I'm still scratching my head about the lower wing roundels; I have some in an appropriate size, but the blue is far too dark. Hmmm.

The nose of a Snipe has (had?) a number of apertures, such as cartridge ejection chutes. I've already apllued tiny black decal rectangles to represent these, and I'll probably do the same with black circles for the other apertures:

20190226_193159

The prop is painted and I'm trying to convince myself to leave it off the model until everything else is fitted:

20190226_193258

The wheels are being painted (building up thin layers of enamel yellow), and I have yet to fit the pilot's seat. I had left it out while I thought about how to represent the wicker of the original, but I now realise that 1) you would have to look really closely to see the seat at all, never mind what it looks like, and 2) with the upper wing firmly in place it won't fit through the gap into the cockpit. Genius.

I see that the RAF Museum's Snipe has underwing flare brackets, so that's something else for me to consider.

Onward, ever onward...

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 7

I failed to convince myself, but only dry-fitted the prop to see what it looks like on the airframe:

20190226_203815

It certainly won't win any prizes, but I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out. Rigging is also obviously still to be added; I might use EZ-Line on this one and save my ultra-fine wire for my 1/144 scratchbuilds.

• Like 4

Stunning build. That prop looks excellent, love the wood effect. 

On 2/23/2019 at 11:26 PM, Jonners said:

In this close-up photo they don't look even remotely aerofoil-shaped, as I thought they were! On the model they actually look okay, but I'll look again with fresh eyes tomorrow.

You can't notice, anyroad I would turn the proverbial "Nelson's eye" to it. As for the roundels, given the serial numbers came out so well, I'd have a stab at printing your own off. That way you'll get the correct shade of blue, dimensions ... and ... you'll have some left over for future vac-form biplanes :devil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rudder painted and mounted; it still needs its serial decals adding:

20190227_153054

There wasn't a particularly well-defined demarcation between the Salamander wheels and tyres that I've robbed for this build, so I decided to try turning them in my Dremel while holding a loaded paintbrush against them to get a steady black circle for the tyres:

20190227_152440

The result isn't perfect, but it's better than I could have managed freehand:

20190227_212120

By the way, aren't wooden cocktail sticks/toothpicks an amazing invention? Quite the most useful modelling item next to plastic milk bottle tops!

20190227_212828

Nearly finished!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Jonners said:

T20190227_212120

By the way, aren't wooden cocktail sticks/toothpicks an amazing invention? Quite the most useful modelling item next to plastic milk bottle tops!

20190227_212828

Those wheels look excellent, as good if not better than I've managed to do punching out my own fancy masks.  And yes plastic milk bottle tops, great for mixing paint etc, and looking at your middle cap, conceptual art :P

• Like 2

Well, it's finally standing on its own two feet, so to speak:

20190228_100916

It still needs a few details adding (windscreen, gunsight, centre section grab handle, rigging) but that shouldn't take too long:

20190228_100853

Having said that, another real-life commitment has reared its ugly head for the next few days! Oh well. Now, I can't help thinking that a scratchbuilt Hucks starter would go nicely with the Snipe...

• Like 7

Looking excellent. I'll waitvpatientlt to see her rigged.

Btw I use a similar method for the wheels, but without the dremmel. I just turn the toothpick between my fingers.

Ian

14 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Btw I use a similar method for the wheels, but without the dremmel. I just turn the toothpick between my fingers.

Ian

I used to do that, but with the Dremel* it obviously rotates around a fixed axis rather than rolling along your finger. It requires the wheel to be perpendicular to the cocktail stick, though, otherwise the wheel will be wobbly!

*Other makes of rotary power tool are available!

Edited by Jonners

18 hours ago, Jonners said:

There wasn't a particularly well-defined demarcation between the Salamander wheels and tyres that I've robbed for this build, so I decided to try turning them in my Dremel while holding a loaded paintbrush against them to get a steady black circle for the tyres:

The result isn't perfect, but it's better than I could have managed freehand:

Nearly finished!

Jon

18 hours ago, Andwil said:

Great idea using the Dremel to aid tyres painting!

AW

I agree with you both - I use a cocktail stick with the wheel on the point and the stick 'rolled' between index finger and thumb as the static small brush, held still in the other hand, touches the tyres - not perfect results but a better alternative to shaky hands! First class build of a this tiny Snipe.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a few days spent working on the other side of the country the rigging is halfway complete:

20190308_225421

I'll need to do some minor touching-up once rigging is finished as the superglue gel marks the aluminium/silver finish.

20190308_225444

I decided to use EZ Line on this one, but it's a very fiddly and time-consuming process.

20190308_225504

Jon

• Like 5

EZ Line rigging completed, with the exception of the aileron control horns and lines, and sanity (almost) restored:

20190310_095958

Other than the aileron lines, it needs a few paint touch-ups here and there and a windscreen and gunsight adding:

20190310_095935

It definitely won't win any prizes, but as a first vacform I have to say I'm quite pleased with how it's looking. Just for fun, here it is with last year's 1:144 scratchbuilds:

20190310_101454

Jon

• Like 6