1/72 Revell F-105D Thud

Plumbum

I've taken a break for a bit and done some automotive modeling and am now back to

finish up a few wing things. I finally found an old Revell, F-105D Thud. It's been sitting for

a while and whoever had it let it get a bit warm, some minor warpage but nothing real serious.

It's an E Bay find, a two set kit with an A-6E being the second kit. I think the A-6E is actually

a Kagman model which is a copy of Hasegawa's old Intruder from the 60s. I have after market

decals for Foley's Folley/ Ohio Express serial number 59-1771 from Korat Thailand 1968. I

will back date it as Revell has added strengthening plates to the wings and a few other parts

not on those planes during Vietnam. I am also modifying the weapons load, I'll use the centerline

MER with Mk 117s and the inner wing drop tanks but the outer wings will have an ECM pod on the

right outer pylon and a dual Sidewinder launcher on the left outer pylon. The ECM pod comes from

a 1/72 Monogram F-4C kit and the dual launcher will be scratch built with AIM 9Bs also from the

1/72 Monogram F-4C kit. ---John

bQJxzKT.jpg

kVGWttn.jpg

utX8ght.jpg

zi9wres.jpg

• Like 6

Seems like it’s been raining Thuds around here recently, and that’s a good thing! Pulling up a seat for my fav Vietnam war aircraft. 

Seriously, tho’, I recommend you check out some of the other F-105 WIP, there are some great tips there!

Thanks, I went to a closed Facebook site that is F-105 specific. Buncha guys that

use to work on and fly the Thud and they clued me in REAL good on the Thud.---John

Hi John @Johnv!

I'm very pleased to see yet another Thud emerging ;). Its always great, as @billn53 says :). With his, VT Red Sox Fan's and my three over the past year it has been awash with  '105s! If I can help don't hesitate to ask. I am in contact with Dennis Wills, the pilot of my Mr Toad subject. He has been very helpful.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnv said:

right outer pylon and a dual Sidewinder launcher on the left outer pylon.

If you are doing a Vietnam era machine, like 59-1771, it would be atypical to have a twin AIM-9 set up. Pretty much all the the time they used a single rail. Of course, you may be wanting to show the exception ;). Coincidentally the '771 now preserved in Florida is actually my first build subject, 58-1155 painted up falsely. ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Thanks Martin, I was going to go with one Sidewinder but there was a pilot who mentioned

to a fellow modeler that he flew with a dual. He said it wasn't popular because if you

launched only one the other would cause lots of vibration. So I said what the heck,

why not go for the unusual. I am not one for "herd mentality". I will definitely check with

you if I have any questions. Where in Florida is 771? I am there also.---John

• Like 1

Thanks, the seat, gun sight and canopy are installed. I added the wings

and have puttied the gap in the right wing to fuselage joint. I also had to

massage the tail a bit, it keeps leaning left, part of the overall warpage issue.---John

1wql8Tc.jpg

XVKgZfm.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Johnv said:

I am not one for "herd mentality". I will definitely check with

you if I have any questions. Where in Florida is 771? I am there also.---John

We are of like minds ;)

this shows you my first Thud and where 771 is:

good luck with the build....

Martin

• Like 2

I think I found a better scheme for my build. I was rereading When Thunder Rolled and

found images of then Lt Ed Rasimus's F-105D 62-4334. It was originally just in SEA camo

with smaller style markings like the picture below. He did have nose art eventually, "Bat Bird"

but I will do it before the nose art was added. The plane was destroyed in 1967 the year after

he left from finishing his first tour, a friend of his was killed in the crash, Karl Richter was on his

second tour, it happened on his 198th mission. Died in the helicopter on the way to base after

his rescue from the crash. The grainy B&W image at the bottom is 62-4334 in 1965 I believe.---John

mFckgdI.jpg

krc4Ae3.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

@Johnv stay welded wing with @RidgeRunner & @billn53—these gents knows their Thuds! 😎 This build is going well and I look forward to monitoring your progress—thank you for posting your work!  Best Erwin 

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Edit

7 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

@RidgeRunner & @billn53—these gents knows their Thuds

Yes, John, she's looking great!

@VT Red Sox Fan Erwin, I just posted my latest ;). She is in RFI. Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Always loved the Thud. My passion sprouted from the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox where they shows combat footage of them, man that was cool when I was a kid.

Oo... i don't remember the Thuds in that. I must take a look :)

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 7 months later...

I've started back up on this. I made a few changes, I will now go with decals for JV 62-346,

Good Golly Miss Molly of the 469th TFS-388th TFW in Korat. I am also not using the dual

launcher for the sidewinder, just a single. The Mk 117s are painted but need detailing.---John

QbgWutz.jpg

• Like 2