British Airways 100th anniversary retro colours

Rb277170

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, PLC1966 said:

On that theory, that's most of the Battle Honours of the modern British Army gone then !!

And of course all those RAF squadrons who celebrated their 100th anniversary before 2018, when of course, they were RFC then.....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Agent K said:

And of course all those RAF squadrons who celebrated their 100th anniversary before 2018, when of course, they were RFC then.....

No, the RAF celebrated it's 100th Anniversary in 2018 along with those Squadrons formed after the RAF was formed in 1918, I think you may be thinking of those Sqn's formed before 1st APril 1918 that celebrated their 100th anniversaries in the years up to 2018.

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

No, the RAF celebrated it's 100th Anniversary in 2018 along with those Squadrons formed after the RAF was formed in 1918, I think you may be thinking of those Sqn's formed before 1st APril 1918 that celebrated their 100th anniversaries in the years up to 2018.

Errrr. yes, I know..... I think that's what I said (^BEFORE 2018),... like i.e. 1, 2, 3 et al, these were RFC squadrons initially, 2018 was the 100th anniversary of the RAF. I was highlighting the pedantry of the 100 years definition (and BA have made it clear that this is the 100th year of BA tracing it's direct predecessors). These squadrons celebrated their 100th despite being uder different "ownership" at their creation.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Agent K said:

Errrr. yes, I know..... I think that's what I said (^BEFORE 2018),

Sorry, so you did, I should wear my glasses before I try reading this stuff!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Sorry, so you did, I should wear my glasses before I try reading this stuff!

No worries, I suffer from the same at times!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Agent K said:

If you want to draw a comparison to what BA have done for their "Centenary" to RAF Centenaries, a better analogy would have been if the RAF had celebrated it's Centenary in 1978. The first official British military aviation unit was set up in The Royal Engineers in 1878, this became the School of Ballooning in 1888, then the Balloon Factory in 1897, in 1909 part of this was separated out to become the Air Battalion of the Royal Engineers, which in turn became the RFC in 1912, which was then merged with the RNAS to form the RAF in 1918.

Each stage of this process involved a distinct change of identity, and some stages involved mergers, very similar to the lineage BA is claiming.

The RFC squadrons, however, maintained their identity, ethos, mottoes, heraldry etc in the change of ownership from the RFC to the RAF (the RNAS squadrons similar, but they involved adding 200 to their numberplate). Therefore, I think, they can legitimately claim their centenaries based on their formation prior to the RAF.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

the 74 and the Airbus look lovely

They do, and I'm not against BA doing the retro schemes, it's just that 100 years of BA is misleading, whereas 100 years of British Commercial Aviation would be more accurate, but doesn't quite slip so well off the tongue.

• Like 2

BA, as it has stated itself, will be celebrating 100 years, based on the formation of "Aircraft Transport and Travel" a direct predecessor. That is how it's interpreted it, it's not wrong, there's no illegal activity or breaking of law, there's no standard definition or legal entity of what this might be. End of.

And the retro jets looks superb, I've seen them all up close, a great way to commemorate the occasion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

They do, and I'm not against BA doing the retro schemes, it's just that 100 years of BA is misleading, whereas 100 years of British Commercial Aviation would be more accurate, but doesn't quite slip so well off the tongue.

Honestly not bothered about the 100 year bit.  Like the PPI ads saying Company a, b or c is voted as best in market,  I am able to recognise, and ignore, a bit of advertising blurb when I see it.

But the jets are great lookers.

• Like 1

BA is dressing up 747-436 G-CIVB in the original Negus BA Tesco bag scheme , great .

• Like 1

Call the ‘100th’ whatever you will, however these retro jets really do look superb and it’s a shame they are stopping at four examples. Another 320 family in Speed Jack livery would have also been nice to see. 

Our Qantas has had two 737’s in retro livery for a few years now and there was some hint that more could be completed to coincide with its 100th birthday celebrations around November 2020. Most of our 747’s would have been retired or on their final flights by then so it will need to be another type of airframe canvas if this theory comes true. 

It’s nice to see that ‘sometimes’ those things that are old can look somewhat fresh again - if only I saw that reflection when I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror this morning!! 

Good call BA, and happy birthday to you and all your hard working staff. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Agent K said:

BA, as it has stated itself, will be celebrating 100 years, based on the formation of "Aircraft Transport and Travel" a direct predecessor. That is how it's interpreted it, it's not wrong, there's no illegal activity or breaking of law, there's no standard definition or legal entity of what this might be. End of.

And the retro jets looks superb, I've seen them all up close, a great way to commemorate the occasion.

Erm - there is. a definite date that the present BA came into being. That is the legal date of birth of the current entity. And it is 1 April 1974.

My mum was born on 21 June 1924. She is a direct predecessor of me. That does not make me 95 years old.

I love the retro schemes. But I'm not impressed with the pretence that lies behind them.

• Like 3

I was ironically flicking through a dog eared a magazine in an airport lounge, you know the sort the one that has more ads than articles and came across a brief  article by Arthur Knebbs (I think) who described British Airways current claim to being a 100 years old as fanciful among other things and made a case for celebrating the achievements of Instone.  I believe he mag was called Business Checks.

Tommo.

11 hours ago, Agent K said:

BA, as it has stated itself, will be celebrating 100 years, based on the formation of "Aircraft Transport and Travel" a direct predecessor. 

The rude facts are AT&T are not a direct predecessor of BA, far too many broken links in the so-called chain.

Tommo

• Like 1

IMHO FWIW, whether or not it really is or isn't BA's 100th is pretty immaterial, it has generated some cool schemes with associated modelling opportunities, now to me, THAT is what matters, the rest is just pedantry, strictly IMHO of course. :) 

Steve.

• Like 8

On 3/10/2019 at 12:02 AM, KevinK said:

Blame it on the software he used to produce it.

:coat:

I'm pretty sure he used meatware to produce that chart. FWIW, I came up with essentially the same tree...

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

IMHO FWIW, whether or not it really is or isn't BA's 100th is pretty immaterial, it has generated some cool schemes with associated modelling opportunities, now to me, THAT is what matters, the rest is just pedantry, strictly IMHO of course. :) 

Steve.

I respectfully disagree it is not about being pendant, some thing are finite and BA were formed on the 1st of April 1974 and are not a 100 years old.  They have decided to change history to suit their own ends. What happens if you change history and teach it to suit ones own political and/or religious beliefs?

BA would have more credibility and kudos if they had the strapline: BA Celebrates a 100 years of British commercial aviation.

Tommo.

45 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

They didn't need to mangle history to suit their marketing needs.

Why not? Hollywood has been doing it for decades.

I'm happy to see retro liveries make a return, whether or not the pretext for doing so is spurious. (It may have something to do with the fact that I am an AFC Wimbledon supporter - a club that was formed in 2003 but lays claim to the defunct Wimbledon FC's heritage as the spiritual successor in preference to the Milton Keynes-based franchise that shall not be named!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I'm happy to see retro liveries make a return, whether or not the pretext for doing so is spurious. (It may have something to do with the fact that I am an AFC Wimbledon supporter - a club that was formed in 2003 but lays claim to the defunct Wimbledon FC's heritage as the spiritual successor in preference to the Milton Keynes-based franchise that shall not be named!)

If BA had be celebrating a 100 years of British commercial aviation they would open up a whole new World to retro liveries.

As a life long Imp this if it eases your pain, this season we are giving Paul Tisdale's Franchise a lesson how to win L2.

Tommo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alan P said:

Why not? Hollywood has been doing it for decades.

What's in a name?

My stepson is an AFC Wimbledon fan too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

What's in a name?

My stepson is an AFC Wimbledon fan too.

Ha ha! A fellow sufferer...! Mind you, I've fallen into the trap of regaining hope we might actually stay up. Why do we do this to ourselves 😩