British Airways 100th anniversary retro colours

Rb277170

Pedant alert …. BA statement  on the 747 repaint … The livery from the 1964-1974 BOAC era will adorn Boeing 747-400 . They can't even get that completely correct  . The original Gold Speedbird with Meat Cleaver / Stepped down Cheatline with Gold edging was officially from April 1964 ( to April 65 ) on the first BOAC VC10 PAX paying sched flight to Nigeria . This one on the 747 repaint is kind of from  from April 1965 for the first sched flight of the Super VC10 to JFK IIRC but the BOAC titles on the White upper fuse above the cheat date the retro 747  from the 747's first service scheme April 1970  . The only part left untouched from BOAC schemes April 64 -March 31st  74  was the Fin .

From April 64 to April 65 The Gold Speedbird "Meat Cleaver" (VC10s and 707s)

https://www.f-dcal.fr/decals/index.php?id_product=126&controller=product&id_lang=1

From April 65 - March 31st 74 (on VC10 , Viscount , HS748 and 707 ) Revised Gold Speedbird

http://www.findmodelkit.com/content/boac-boac-cunard-vickers-super-vc10-0

BOAC 747 from April 70 - 31st March 74 Titles moved and Dk Blue

https://www.airlinersillustrated.com/product/g-awna

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

From April 65 - March 31st 74 (on VC10 , Viscount , HS748 and 707 ) Revised Gold Speedbird

BOAC HS 748? I've never seen one of those!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

I've never seen one of those!

Actually was Bahamas Airways in BOAC colours ,could have been a BOAC associate ,either way ,Got the BOAC Gold Speedbird  .

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/BAHAMAS-AIRWAYS-HS748-LARGE-OFFICIAL-MANUFACTURERS-STAMPED-PHOTO-VP-BCM-BOAC-/202591147966?hash=item2f2b5f97be

Not mine, not selling it !

9 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Actually was Bahamas Airways in BOAC colours ,could have been a BOAC associate ,either way ,Got the BOAC Gold Speedbird  .

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/BAHAMAS-AIRWAYS-HS748-LARGE-OFFICIAL-MANUFACTURERS-STAMPED-PHOTO-VP-BCM-BOAC-/202591147966?hash=item2f2b5f97be

Not mine, not selling it !

Well you learn something new every day!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cngaero said:

Stunning scheme. I could easily be swayed into 1/144 scale by this one. 

bloody hell - she is one sexy beast - I watched her live (in the Aluminium that is) up at Heathrow on the North Runway this morning and then tuned into Big Jets TV for the rest of the show - I froze my tits off but it was worth it - this big lady cut through our UK clouds and warped me back to my early spotting days up at LHR in the 1970's

A perfect 1/144 or 1/200 livery for a Revell / Hasegawa 747-400 kit - I know what my next build will be once I have cleared my workbench down a bit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m surprised the Daily Mail didn’t describe it as a World War One Hawker Spitfire jet bomber float plane

Lovely scheme.

Graham

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 2/16/2019 at 8:39 AM, 26Decals said:

If that's what it takes for BA to paint up some retro jets then I'm all for it, I don't really care why !

Decals to follow :)

Great. I’ve got a Revell 747-400 just waiting

seen the pics on Facebook today, she looks gorgeous

11 hours ago, GrahamS said:

I’m surprised the Daily Mail didn’t describe it as a World War One Hawker Spitfire jet bomber float plane

Lovely scheme.

Graham

They do talk about BOAC carrying families on holidays to Spain - so they did make a few howlers. I'm looking forward to the BEA schemed aircraft.

Concerning BOAC colours. Where the original Boeing 707-436 painted with silver (as weissaluminium) on the lower/underside of the fuselage or where they polished metall?

Cheers / André

On 23/02/2019 at 17:36, Andre B said:

Concerning BOAC colours. Where the original Boeing 707-436 painted with silver (as weissaluminium) on the lower/underside of the fuselage or where they polished metall?

Cheers / André

Generally natural metal (as was the norm for early jet liners).

The BOAC 707s as said were NMF below the cheatline but the fuse between the Cheatline and wing top surface was sometimes a white or very light grey ,it varies . See links and photo below

Some had this white/grey fuse painted. There doesn't seem to be an across the fleet thing though , found plenty from the same years with it missing

BOAC had a few different dash numbers but doesn't alter the way they are painted .

-436 Rolls Royce

-465 Rolls Royce

-336C P&W

-379C P&W 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/BOAC/Boeing-707-436/1781753

This is PFE that broke up mid air over Mt Fuji March 1966

https://www.postcardfinder.co.uk/boac-boeing-707-g-apfe-plane-aircraft-limited-edition-300-postcard-55954-p.asp

This on BOAC Cunard is in 1964 scheme . Postcard view . Spot that VC10 in Nigeria A/ways stickers, MEA Comet  and Pan-Am DC-8 . Those were the days.. Stanwell Fuel farm over the back ,T5 over there now .

I might ad that VC10s were always painted grey , No NMF allowed on VC10s except intake nose caps, beaver tails and not much else .

BOAC Cunard Boeing 707-436

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

I flew on this bird yesterday from Heathrow to Chicago, my luggage enjoyed the trip so much that it decided to stay on board for the return flight along with about 100 other passengers’ baggage - they couldn’t open one of the cargo doors so MEL’ed the jet so they could get her home for a fix. 

I have no idea where my luggage is now. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

22 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

where my luggage is now

Hope you know where it all is now . I added a laugh reaction , at your description rather than predicament .

Edited by bzn20
  • Haha 1

I flew on this bird yesterday from Heathrow to Chicago, my luggage enjoyed the trip so much that it decided to stay on board for the return flight along with about 100 other passengers’ baggage - they couldn’t open one of the cargo doors so MEL’ed the jet so they could get her home for a fix. 

That's not great.. Let's hope they don't back date the lost baggage compensation rate to the 1971 BOAC amount either? 

I must admit, I'm quite a fan of these retro schemes and a nice set of 1/200 or 1/400 die cast airlines would make a lovely collection. It will be interesting to see what Qantas does when we turn 100 in November 2020. Unlike BA, I doubt there will be any recognition of the merged / absorbed TAA (Trans Australia Airlines), which is a little sad given its significance to the success of domestic aviation in Australia. Anyway, this thread is about BA and its proud history - so kudos to them, well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I hope you have enough money for new clothes, and enough space on your luggage to carry them back.

• Thanks 1