British Airways 100th anniversary retro colours

Rb277170

It’s British Airways 100th anniversary this year, next year?  Anyway it’s just been confirmed that a 747-400 is going to receive the full BOAC speedbird livery . Of course, never worn on a 747-400 , but all the 100s have long since gone . Should be fairly spectacular. I have a BA Revell 747-400 in stock , just wondering if it should go retro, although it may be their 125th anniversary before I get round to it.

i believe upto 4 planes will receive retro livery . I’m kind of thinking one will be an A320  maybe in  BEA speedjack livery . That would be very nice . Other suggestions have been Cambrian Orange and Northeast Yellow . 

Looking forward to it

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's the 50th Anniversary of the Boeing 747's first flight 2/9/69 . Not even 100 years since BOAC's previous ID , Imperial A/ways was started although one of Airlines absorbed in to Imperial ,Instone Air Line did start in 1919 .

Edited by bzn20

https://www.britishairways.com/100

Seriously, can these people not count?  A unified national air carrier in the form of Imperial Airways was founded in 1924.  This led directly to BOAC and thence BA.  Can they not just wait five years? Yes, the first British airlines for fee paying passengers were formed in 1919 but this is stretching a point and somewhat jumping the gun.

• Like 3

They count Handley Page and Instone that both were founded in 1919 and became parts of the Imperial Airways. 

It's of no matter but perhaps I should finish my sleeping 1919 airliner this year. I think I havn't touched it since 2008.

Which airline is oldest with the name still intact? KLM?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orso said:

They count Handley Page and Instone that both were founded in 1919 and became parts of the Imperial Airways. 

It's of no matter but perhaps I should finish my sleeping 1919 airliner this year. I think I havn't touched it since 2008.

Which airline is oldest with the name still intact? KLM?

...closely followed by QANTAS

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dadofthree said:

No. BA want to get their money's worth out of painting a 747 in BOAC colours. To wait would see the 747 out of service by then.

Then surely if they will all be gone before the end of 2024 they could still paint a BOAC one to mark the retirement.

On 14/02/2019 at 21:54, Vicarage Vee said:

Then surely if they will all be gone before the end of 2024 they could still paint a BOAC one to mark the retirement.

That is sort of what they are doing. They will actually kill several birds with one stone as BA can use this as an opportunity to mark the 100th anniversary of BA, the 50th anniversary of the 747 and the 747's retirement in 2023.

That said, we still get to see a 747 in a cool livery (now several in different liveries) which is the main thing for me.

Edited by dadofthree
Update
  • Like 2

I wonder, in the modern world, whether BA would paint up an Imperial Airways scheme.

How about an A-380 in the HP-42-era scheme: overall silver with I M P E R I A L in large, friendly letters across the underside. That would "impress the natives".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

BA has always counted its birth as being 1919. This is, of course, not really correct. BA officially came into being in April 1974 - although the British Airways Board was set up in 1972. The BAB's job was to oversee the integration of the numerous airlines that were merged to form BA. These did not just consist of BOAC and BEA, but also Northeast, Cambrian and a whole host of subsidiaries of BOAC, BEA etc that performed everything from helicopter services, regional flights, charter flights, engineering, catering, property management etc etc.

It was an extremely complex task to bring all these multiple businesses together and it was not without pain - with many strikes, work to rules and other industrial relations problems besetting the constituent airlines in the years 1972 to 1974 and beyond.

On 13/02/2019 at 15:58, Dave Swindell said:

Founded 31/03/1974, I make that it's 45th anniversary...

I was about to add the same. BA came into being principally with almagamation of BOAC and BEA.

They would be better advised to say it is a 100  years since the start of British commericial aviation perthaps, a 100 years of BA is stretching it somewhat.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, KevinK said:

I wonder, in the modern world, whether BA would paint up an Imperial Airways scheme.

How about an A-380 in the HP-42-era scheme: overall silver with I M P E R I A L in large, friendly letters across the underside. That would "impress the natives".

Your humour is so dry it makes the Gobi Desert look wet ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Yep - that's how I've equated it over the years. It's like saying I'm 95 because my mother was born in 1924.

BA should be challenged on their made up 1919 birth.

On that theory, that's most of the Battle Honours of the modern British Army gone then !!

• Haha 1