1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F189

Hi all,
Finally completed my first ever build. It was supposed to be completely out of the box but the kit was lacking in some important areas resulting in a few extra mods. Its got a few mistakes and there are some bits I'm not happy with. It really stretched my abilities and patience at times but I'm super happy with the result and cant wait to get stuck into the next one!

1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F189 - #28 Gerhard Berger
Paint - Tamiya Acrylic
Clear Coat - Mr Color Super Clear III
Tamiya Seatbelt Kit
Bare Metal Foil
Scale Motorsport carbon decals
Evergreen 2mm rod for radiator hoses
Top Studio hose and wire clamps
Generic heat shrink
0.6mm fishing braid
Ciggy decals
Sprayed through an Iwata HP-CS .35mm

Cheers,
Andy

46786070952_eba3019013_z.jpg

32962745888_1e1010e094_z.jpg

45923607555_288603c049_z.jpg

45923610095_91d374938e_z.jpg

46786086332_35a5788f8e_z.jpg

45923703495_f75f318890_z.jpg

39873141253_8a6a6513bd_z.jpg

39873152643_1a0abc5315_z.jpg

32962727888_2caf9ed012_z.jpg

• Like 16

Andy, I respectfully doubt that this is your first build. :nono:

You obviously know your way around an airbrush and applying finishes, neat glue, wiring (the ECU under the intake) and decal techniques, and how race cars are supposed to present. Other than positive camber on the left front, there are no other nits to pick.

My first project was a paddle wheel steam boat on which I assembled the wheels on the wrong sides around - at age eight. There was more glue on it than paint. :crosseyed:

Carry on with this excellent work.

It seems good F189 buildss are like buses - you don't see one for ages then two turn up at once. Between you and Redstaff you have a team made up.

If that's your first model rather than just first car (and indeed if it is your first car this applies too), you are starting from a very high standard which can only bode well for the future.

• Like 1

Nice work, well done :)

I decided that I wasn't going to detail underneath mine as I was going to put Nigel in the cockpit, and the top was going to be fixed to sort out the fit issues of the body, (will go for it on the next F1 build though) Seat belt kit looks nice

Then I realised how awful I was at figure painting, so I quickly painted the empty seat and dropped it in at the end of the build and learned to live with it :) 

I've noticed as well that yours has a clear screen where mine has the yellow tinted screen and also has the camera fitted on the side of the intake behind the drivers head.

Mine was the late version Portuguese version of the kit, is yours the early version?

Ian

Thanks gents for your kind comments, very ecouraging! For those interested I managed to find an old partial WIP for this. WIP

@Codger - Technically you are right , but I feel I can't include poorly built models with thick brushed paint and crooked decals from 30 years ago when I was 14 years old. I managed to find an early WIP post and as you can see by the date on that post, this has taken me a very long time to build. There were countless hours spent watching YouTube, scouring forums and practicing on many, many spoons. There were heaps of mistakes (I actually had to buy another kit) and huge frustrations. I also emptied my wallet several times to buy good quality products. But I'm a stubborn little bugger, and I wasn't going to give up until I was happy with it. 

@Redstaff Ian - likewise on your build, very nice! Mine was also the late Portugese version. I don't know why my screen is different (it's ever so lightly tinted) and I decided to omit the camera as I personally felt it spoilt the asthetics a bit. I was worrying about the body fitting properly the whole time I was building it. I just got lucky in that regard.

I've started on my next build - a 1/12 Tamiya McLaren M23 - (I like a challenge!) and should have some WIP pics up soon. 

Andy

Edited by Motoholic
  • Like 2

• Motoholic changed the title to 1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F189
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/01/2019 at 13:36, Hugh Jampton said:

Simply stunning, have one in the proverbial stash and just hope mine will turn out as good as yours.

Look forward to seeing the M23 thread.

Ditto from me!