1/72 Sabre - Royal Saudi Air Force

This is the 1/72 HobbyBoss sabre with cutting edge decals for a late Saudi Aircraft when they went overall grey. One of my shelf of doom projects which just needed finishing.

rsaf1.JPG

rsaf2.JPG

rsaf3.JPG

rsaf4.JPG

• Like 36

Sober, exotic and damn good looking!

Great build.

JR

Thx guys. Yes they flew them the late 50s and early 60s. They were frequently grounded due to lack of technical support and had to go to German for major work, As the Saudis were coming up against MiG-17s, 19 and 21s thats when they decided to get the BAC Lightning.

Julien

This aircraft was in the dump at Jeddah old International Airport in the early 80s along with another half a dozen Sabres

The dump also had Vampires,Harvards,DC3s,DC4s,B26s and a Short Sealand plus a few other aircraft.

Nicely built and finished model,the paint by then was bleached almost white which threw me a bit when walking around them.

Most of the photo's of this dump were taken during the Gulf War,to have a camera. when working on the airfield would have earned a few days in the local nick.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, camper1 said:

This aircraft was in the dump at Jeddah old International Airport in the early 80s along with another half a dozen Sabres

The dump also had Vampires,Harvards,DC3s,DC4s,B26s and a Short Sealand plus a few other aircraft.

Nicely built and finished model,the paint by then was bleached almost white which threw me a bit when walking around them.

Most of the photo's of this dump were taken during the Gulf War,to have a camera. when working on the airfield would have earned a few days in the local nick.

I would have liked to have seen that dump. Given the conditions there how good/bad were the aircraft?

Julien

2 hours ago, twinpin said:

Really good.     Were the air brakes disabled ?  Where did the RSAF get their sabres from ?

No not disabled, they can bve closed on the ground and I prefer to model them that way.

The RSAF sabres came direct from the US aircraft in country, later formally under MAP, 3 replacements I think came from Norway.

Julien

Nice job: on the subject of the grey paint, RSAF F-86Fs were delivered in natural metal finish and gained the paint at first IRAN overhaul in Germany in the early 60s. There's a lot of conjecture regarding the actual shade but given the German IRAN (and subsequent one for survivors later in the 60s) the colour will be the same as that applied to Portuguese F-86Fs. Julien's shade looks bang on the money 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice job: on the subject of the grey paint, RSAF F-86Fs were delivered in natural metal finish and gained the paint at first IRAN overhaul in Germany in the early 60s. There's a lot of conjecture regarding the actual shade but given the German IRAN (and subsequent one for survivors later in the 60s) the colour will be the same as that applied to Portuguese F-86Fs. Julien's shade looks bang on the money 👍

Cheers for that. Also thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the paint. Helps as I have a couple of Portuguese ones to do at some point as well.

JUlien