Ferrari F189 Mansell

Having Santa bring me a couple of F1 kits for Christmas I picked what seemed the easiest to start with having not built an F1 for 30+ years

Built OOB and sprayed with Tamiya rattle cans as I had them in stock. A lot of learning along the way such as foiling the engine bay. I'm fairly happy with the finish after a bit of polishing, but think I might try Zero paints and 2K next time.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the fit of the top of the body to the chassis, gluing it would cure it, but why hide the detail, but apparently it's a known issue 

Here's a link to the build and a few pics of the finished build.

Any tips or critisism welcome :) 

20190121_153607_resized20190121_153841_001_resized_120190121_153928_001_resized_120190121_154117_001_resized_120190121_154157_001

• Like 12

Looks great, way better than mine (although I think it was 1991 when I built mine so I'm going to use that as an excuse). The engine in particular looks very strong.

As you say, the top of the body not fitting does seem to be a kit issue - mine has exactly the same problem only even more so.

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Spiny thanks for the kind comments

I'm happy enough with it and have enjoyed building it :) and as I've said, learnt a lot about car modelling along the process after building mainly planes since my return to the hobby

The kit has typical Tamiya fit on all of the parts except the body top to chassis which is like it's from a different kit, which is surprising as their kits are well known for good fitting parts  🤔

Also I must take some pics outside in the sunshine (if we ever get any) as the paint is quite vibrant red, not the browny colour it looks in these pics 

I must get my DSLR out and learn to take decent pics rather than phone snaps as well 

Ian

35 minutes ago, Motoholic said:

Top notch build Ian, very clean. I worried about the body fit on mine for the whole build and in the end I just got lucky.

Thanks for that, much appreciated :)

My body seemed to fit better before I lacquered and polished it, so whether me doing that caused it to warp a little I don't know 🤔

I'm building a Gloster Meteor now then either the Beemax Audi Quattro S1 or the Tamiya Red Bull RB6 next, might leave that for a bit though and get a bit more practice in first

• 1 month later...

Cracking model, just bought a couple of 80s F1 kits to have a go at myself.  How did you go about removing the central moulding seam on the tyres please?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tallyho said:

How did you go about removing the central moulding seam on the tyres please?

Hi

Thanks for the praise :) 

I removed the seam line with good old emery cloth, started with 180 grit then finished with 400 grit to make the tyres look scrubbed in, I think they look ok.

I've got a few more F1 in the stash to do as well at some point, like the Tamiya F1 kits, they go together so well :) 

Ian

On 3/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, Redstaff said:

Hi

Thanks for the praise :) 

I removed the seam line with good old emery cloth, started with 180 grit then finished with 400 grit to make the tyres look scrubbed in, I think they look ok.

I've got a few more F1 in the stash to do as well at some point, like the Tamiya F1 kits, they go together so well :) 

Ian

Thanks Ian, makes a lot of sense, I'll give it a go.  Was thinking of using a scalpel to remove the seam line but there is a big danger of damaging the tyre doing that in retrospect.

• Like 1

Well done Redstaff It looks superb either way you look at it, body on or off! 

• Thanks 1

Everything else was a typical Tamiya fit, but the body fit is just horrible 

With glue it would stay together, but then that would cover all the internal detail, which seems a shame 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2019 at 20:19, Redstaff said:

Everything else was a typical Tamiya fit, but the body fit is just horrible 

With glue it would stay together, but then that would cover all the internal detail, which seems a shame 

i am currently building the MP4/6 and the fitment is right up until you arrive at the very bottom of the car when it's a little bit lifted (not so tragic considering that the fitment is done via screws). If i remove air duct (the one from up the head to the air funnels) the fitment is perfect. So, when i want to show it open i put it back on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fet_thunderdome said:

i am currently building the MP4/6

I've got one of those in the stash as well, alongside a few others to get round to, I suppose all the bodies are quite thin and prone to warping 

Ian

10 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

I've got one of those in the stash as well, alongside a few others to get round to, I suppose all the bodies are quite thin and prone to warping 

Ian

it's not warped, its' straight and in line. But i think it's the air duct the problem. It's a wonderful kit, i am enjoying a lot. The only problem is that the real tires got hardened and shrunk and cracked. I ordered a replacement but still no shipment. How are your tires?

Edited by fet_thunderdome

The tyres look ok in mine, but I've got the later reboxing in the plain black box, is yours original?

You need to post some pics to whet our appetite :) 

Ian

• Like 1

Lovely work!

I love the detail on show, and the bodywork fitting issue is hardly noticeable.

Maybe some tiny weeny (and very easy to lose from my experience) neodymium magnets in a couple of spots to locate the top, pull it tight and keep it in place?

Either way, it looks superb for what my opinion is worth

Gives me an itch to buy an F1 kit, cos I need more unmade kits lying around 😄😄😄

• Thanks 1

Thanks 😁

To be honest, I have found a few tiny bits of blutac strategically placed has helped. 😁 but it was after i took the pics. You need to get an F1 car, the detail underneath is good OOB but can be added to if that is your thing, I didn't on this one. I thought that was the purpose of modelling, to buy more kits in ratio to kits made 😉

Ian 

18 hours ago, Redstaff said:

The tyres look ok in mine, but I've got the later reboxing in the plain black box, is yours original?

You need to post some pics to whet our appetite :) 

Ian

Yes, mine it's original from 1991 with Goodyear decals, I am currently waiting for tires to arrive

20190319-224406-01.jpg

20190326-064922-01.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Thanks 😁

To be honest, I have found a few tiny bits of blutac strategically placed has helped. 😁 but it was after i took the pics. You need to get an F1 car, the detail underneath is good OOB but can be added to if that is your thing, I didn't on this one. I thought that was the purpose of modelling, to buy more kits in ratio to kits made 😉

Ian 

That last bit did make me chuckle

You're dead right Ian, my kits in stock to kits made ratio is well out of whack. I thought of the stashes around the house and wondered at my wife's patience.

Must buy flowers....

Paul

Edited by pau10wen
  • Haha 1