Aoshima Toyota Soarer 4.0 GT Limited

Pros:

It's much better kit than the Fujimi version, which uses a generic floor pan unrealistic to the Soarer. Easily assembled, well moulded. The underside has plenty of detail except the brakes.This particular version also came with P/E badges for the front, rear and sides.

Cons:

Curbside. Boxed wheels and tyres seem too small for the car. Ride height is too high. Brakes lack detail - having small discs and weedy calipers. Detail inside the headlight recess is low, having only one transparent part insert and a lot of flat space.

Verdict:

If you want a 1/24 Soarer, get this Aoshima one. It builds up into a nice model kit of the Toyota Soarer with only a small amount of effort. Recommended.

Build notes:

I changed the wheels, then changed the tyres on those wheels for more low-profile ones. I've added seatbelt retainers, plus some items on the pasenger seat - a couple of CDs, a magazine and a copy of the newspaper Mainichi Shimbun. I saw this kit in a secondhand shop for the price of about £5. It seems to be as old as the copyright date, early 1990s. It's had a long wait to get built, and I wonder how many owners had it in a stash and overlooked it. Well, now it has it's moment, having waited 11 months in my own stash. It's painted Tamiya TS-54 light metallic blue. The underside has been weathered with Pinnacle weathering powder - "coal dust". The chrome trim is Bare Metal Foil and the headlamps are Molotow-Chrome. The back lights have been given a coat of Tamiya smoke. The interior shiny leather is Halfords Ford Dove Grey.

aoshima-toyota-soarer_001.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_002.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_003.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_004.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_005.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_006.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_007.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_008.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_009.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_010.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_011.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_012.jpg
aoshima-toyota-soarer_013.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely job and a cracking looking paint finish! I really like the colour and got a can of that in a '3 cans for a fiver' offer at Telford! Have to find something to use it on now! Did you clearcoat it? Very nice interior too, the usual stuff on the passenger seat found in most people's cars is a neat touch!

I also like the box 'art' - "Soarer - for mind cruising''....!!

Keith

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

and got a can of that in a '3 cans for a fiver' offer at Telford! Have to find something to use it on now! Did you clearcoat it?

Thanks for the positive comments. I think my can may well have come from the same source in Telford :)  Yes, it's clearcoated with Tamiya TS-13.

• Like 1

That's a little stunner! Love what you did with it and those little touches eg the passenger seat really add. Great attention to the underside also. Stylish box - pretty big for such a little car - that's certainly freed up some space for you!

Very sweet build - thanks for showing.

ATB
Rick