1/72 L749 Connie (QANTAS)

Greetings to all.

This is my QANTAS L-749 Constellation, based on the Heller kit in 1/72 scale, completed around August 2018.

Apologies for the somewhat sub-par photography - my wife would not be happy if I took on another hobby!

I made the following modifications to the kit (which is very basic):

• Providing the engine cowls with the correct topside and chin vents, using scrap plastic and filler.
  • Removing the engine cowl vents (which were based on the early multiple exhaust discharge configuration).
  • Installing new scratch-built cowl vents and exhaust pipes (one on each side of engine) – fashioned from Evergreen styrene and rod.
  • Altering the nose contours for a more accurate look. 
    I feel that the kit nose slopes downward too steeply from the windscreen – it should be less of an angle and a little more bulbous.
    This was corrected cutting away the upper nose section and grafting in un-used nose parts from an Airfix F-27 Friendship (along with much filling and sanding).
  • Main undercarriage wheels are resin replacements from Fisher Model & Pattern (with wheel hub covers from plastic sheet).
  • The cuffed propellers and spinners are resin-cast items from Fisher Model & Pattern
  • All the passenger windows were filled and the decal sheet provides the correct spacing and layout.
  • Headlights in the nose cone (which is moulded on the clear plastic sprue) are enhanced from behind; with a sequin from my daughter’s formal dress (very successful) and a further piece of clear sprue (less successful).
  • All aerial masts and pitot tubes are scratch-built from plastic and/or various types of wire.
  • The QANTAS decals are aftermarket, Sheet CDS-049, from Hawkeye Models

ve2k2jm.jpg

DA44IXu.jpg

Ah9rmSE.jpg

uUtrtc4.jpg

Although not a flawless build (far from it), I'm reasonably happy with it and hope some of you like it too.

• Like 63
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Very, very nice :thumbsup:

If one of these were still flying, that would a "Bucket List" item for sure.

Thanks for sharing your model with us

Regards

Alan

I believe that there are 2 Super Constellations still flying, one in Switzerland and one in Australia - get saving!

Cheers

Malcolm

Very nice model - beautiful aircraft!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

What paints did you use..? 

Firstly, thanks for the kind comments, Kitchen Modeller.

The paint is Alclad "Polished Aluminium" applied over Alclad's gloss black foundation.

I should have polished the black to within an inch of its life, before spraying the aluminium; but was trying to have the whole thing finished for a contest.

A few finishing coats of "Long Life" (Oz's answer to Johnsons Shine, Future, etc.) do wonders - applied with a wide brush.

Various panels were randomly tinted with Tamiya's Smoke and various other metallic colours.

Cheers everyone - many thanks for all your feedback. 

:thanks:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turbofan said:

and nice to see lots of aerials to really busy it up!

Thanks for noticing, Turbofan.  Reference photos showed a large array of aerials and I tried to simulate that busy look as best I could.