1/35 Panzer Commander Advice

phlarris

Any advice on painting Panzer crew in 1/35? I’m building the Meng ‘King Tiger’ and it comes with 2 crew. However, the instructions just say ‘black’ for the uniform. How do I get shadows etc in ‘black’? Common sense says ‘shades of grey’, but this is the first time I’ve done figures, so any advice appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Basic most simple way is to use tamiya nato black for the base colour and the use pure plack for shadow,  you can lighten the nato black with a few drops of buff for the highlights.  Thats the basis basis of any black work i use,  you can add to this with oils and play with the tones.

HTH

Dan 

• Like 1

I'd second the above: think about a pair of black jeans. After a couple of washes, the fabric is a very dark grey, with deep black shadows and slight highlights.  Photos really help!

• 1 month later...

Shep Paine said to consider black a very dark colour, grey or blue. The advice above holds.  His book 'How To Build Dioramas' has a how-to with the example being a German Panzer crewman.  He basically dispenses with having a range of shadow colours as would be the case with khaki or OD.  White is also a real challenge!