Revell '68 Dodge Charger

Thought I'd post a thread detailing my build of the Revell 68 Dodge Charger.

This will only be my second build in 30 years and after rushing the last one towards the end I don't want to make that same mistake again, so hopefully posting here will encourage me to take my time a bit more.

If anyone has any advice or sees any glaring errors please let me know.

The only real time I get for modelling is at weekends so will try and post a weekly update of my progress

Contents of the box

20190113_130826

Made a start on the engine block which is primed and painted 

One thing I did notice was that the parts were so closely attached to the sprue a lot of care was needed when removing them, it was sometimes difficult to tell where the sprue ended and the part started

20190120_130822

Not much but it's a start, like I say it's not a race 

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris1886 said:

This will only be my second build in 30 years and after rushing the last one towards the end I don't want to make that same mistake again, so hopefully posting here will encourage me to take my time a bit more.

That definitely works for me! I'm on my fourth build now, after not having modelled for a long time, like you (and about ten thousand others on here). Posting your work makes you put in that extra bit of effort. What also helps is to post your doubts/questions that you have regarding your build in the thread. People here tend to come up with a solution to every problem. So I would encourage you to keep posting. 

16 minutes ago, Chris1886 said:

Made a start on the engine block which is primed and painted 

One question though: where is it? 🙂 

Good luck with your build, should be a nice one!

I wouldn't worry too much about taking too long - I'm in the same boat as you in that work means I only get to work weekends, and if something else comes along that will take priority over the workbench. So I'm on car number 6 now and have been going 2 years. And that car has been on the go for near enough 5 months now. I'll definitely look forward to this one as this is another of those kits which keeps tempting me once I get through those 'must have' kits we all have on our list.

As Jeroen said, any questions just ask - there always seems to be someone who has come across a similar issue before, And finally, two pieces of advice:

1 - As you've already said above, patience is key. No need to rush, the model isn't going anywhere.

2 - Don't worry about getting perfection. Tempting as it is to aim high with all the excellent models around, you will get much more satisfaction trying to get the best model you can with your current skill set. Next time around, you'll realise how you've improved and what felt hard will feel easier, those things you notice on your first model will be addressed on the second before you come across them and without realising it you'll have moved on a stage.

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

That definitely works for me! I'm on my fourth build now, after not having modelled for a long time, like you (and about ten thousand others on here). Posting your work makes you put in that extra bit of effort. What also helps is to post your doubts/questions that you have regarding your build in the thread. People here tend to come up with a solution to every problem. So I would encourage you to keep posting. 

One question though: where is it? 🙂 

Good luck with your build, should be a nice one!

Thanks Jeroen

Not the best picture and not much to look at but here's today's progress.

Vellejo primer and the engine colour is a mix of Tamiya sky blue light grey and a couple of drops of green.

The chassis is only primed so far and the spoon is a test of what I was thinking for the body colour

Still gettting used to using the airbrush adjusting pressure and getting the coverage right so I don't end up with Orange Peel, which seems to be my main issue at the moment.

20190120_220435

Edited by Chris1886
Picture added

32 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I wouldn't worry too much about taking too long - I'm in the same boat as you in that work means I only get to work weekends, and if something else comes along that will take priority over the workbench. So I'm on car number 6 now and have been going 2 years. And that car has been on the go for near enough 5 months now. I'll definitely look forward to this one as this is another of those kits which keeps tempting me once I get through those 'must have' kits we all have on our list.

As Jeroen said, any questions just ask - there always seems to be someone who has come across a similar issue before, And finally, two pieces of advice:

1 - As you've already said above, patience is key. No need to rush, the model isn't going anywhere.

2 - Don't worry about getting perfection. Tempting as it is to aim high with all the excellent models around, you will get much more satisfaction trying to get the best model you can with your current skill set. Next time around, you'll realise how you've improved and what felt hard will feel easier, those things you notice on your first model will be addressed on the second before you come across them and without realising it you'll have moved on a stage.

Thanks for the comments Spiny.

This model will be a steep learning curve, the only way to learn is to just crack on with it and admit that mistakes will be made however I must resist the temptation to rush, that's my biggest demon.

41 minutes ago, Codger said:

Wash the parts in Dawn and water to get the mold release off before painting. Also dry test  fit everything.

Thanks Codger already had an issue with this

I need to dry fit 2 or 3 steps ahead as well.

I had a little trouble with this where two pieces joined together but the sub assembly wasn't the best fit to another piece, got there in the end though 

7 hours ago, Chris1886 said:

Vellejo primer and the engine colour is a mix of Tamiya sky blue light grey and a couple of drops of green.

Be careful when mixing paint brands / types. Are you using Tamiya X/XF paint? The Vallejo range are waterbased acrylics and those Tamiya paints are alcohol based and could (probably will) eat into the Vallejo primer. Maybe that's also what you're experiencing. If you're priming for Tamiya paint (well, it's good for any paint) I can recommend the grey "Fine Surface Primer" from the rattle can. 

13 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Be careful when mixing paint brands / types. Are you using Tamiya X/XF paint? The Vallejo range are waterbased acrylics and those Tamiya paints are alcohol based and could (probably will) eat into the Vallejo primer. Maybe that's also what you're experiencing. If you're priming for Tamiya paint (well, it's good for any paint) I can recommend the grey "Fine Surface Primer" from the rattle can. 

Thanks Jeroen, yes it's the Tamiya X/XF I'm using, thanks for the warning about mixing paints certainly food for thought

You can mix them, just make sure to start with the paint (or primer) containing the most "aggressive" solvent (lacquer paint / alcohol based). You can always finish with the waterbased stuff. 

Many, many moons ago, I attempted to mix Tamiya acrylic paint with Humbrol enamel to get the colour I wanted. It worked … just.

It was a bit gloopy, but useable.

I haven't done it since, though...

Cheers, Alan.

Had a little bit of time this week to get the engine together, still getting used to the mixing ratios on the airbrush and my detail painting needs a steadier hand but it's not too shabby. It'll do me anyway.

Next onto the Tub and Chassis, some of which has been primed and is ready for painting

Hopefully a bit more to come by Sunday

20190125_132453

20190125_132735

• Like 5

As promised a bit more progress made over the weekend, in the past I sould have rushed a bit more but leaving this to dry properly so I can do a bit more detail painting.

A few fiddly decals to fix to the dash which I've also left until next week. It's coming together ok I think. 

Apologies for the poor photo quality the lighting wasn't the best

20190127_190928

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it's when I get onto the bodywork it may go pear shaped , I'm  deliberately leaving it at the moment.

It's just sat there willing me to prep and paint it. I'd be totally disappointed and disheartened if I messed it up at this stage

The moral of Todays story is never just think I’ve got a spare 10 minutes I’ll just put a few pieces together.

The end result was a container of Tamiya extra thin all over the place and the painted dashboard covered in the stuff

Fortunately I’d not applied the decals to the dash or detailed it. It’s  in an IPA bath as I type ready to be re painted. 

No real lasting damage I don’t think and it could have been worse as the door panels were next to the dash and had been fully painted and detailed

And we do this to relax 😬

• Sad 1

Managed to recover the situation somewhat following my accident with the glue, you can see some slight damage to the parcel shelf and the close up on the dash resembles crazy paving under the magnifier, but from a distance and when the body is on hopefully it will be ok

Big lesson learned though about keeping the work area tidy and putting lids back on containers when I’m done. which is what it's all about with these initial builds I guess.

20190129_200902

20190129_200843

20190129_201012

Edited by Chris1886
Spelling
  • Like 3

The body looks far superior to the General Lee I recently built, but the engine and exhaust/suspension parts look just as crude. Good luck with the project and my guess is you’ll be uttering many oaths and losing your patience like never before . 😁

Good work so far. :yes:

• Like 1