SEAC Hurricane question

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

Hmm, one I don't have

Is it all profiles? 

Note this Amazon review from @Bo hermansen

The author has done a nice job, He is however guilty in using flawed information

The colour plate for 46 Sqn in Norway in 1940 are at best creative thinking, no confirmation
has ever been made that 46 Sqn's Hurricanes where repainted during the campaign

Photo evidence show the 46 Sqn Hurricanes being loaded onto HMS Glorius and flying in Norway
in standart RAF paint scheme for this periode

If the author got this wrong, what other colour plates in his book is wrong ???

Bo Hermansen

51XjvTJJuNL._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good old YB-J being shown with a yellow 'bullet' Rotol spinner does does not fill me with confidence....

If it's got cannons and cameras, it would be a TacR Hurricane IIc, like this HW557/K of No 28 Squadron RAF at Sadaung Burma

large_000000.jpg

Hmm, are the decals on the Sky Decals sheet? 

They are riddled with errors, note the SEAC roundels below are the wrong colour and proportion,  (as well as the sky and medium sea grey codes being the wonrg colur) 

SKY72053_1.jpg?t=&key=afd31ced0e1e7a495e

Without seeing the profile or a photo I couldn't tell you more.  is there a unit listed for LB615?    That would help.  Searches have not turned up  anything.

You want different?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049405-hurricane-footage-on-youtube-desert-scheme-repaints-in-colour/

Anyway

HTH

• Like 1

The book is from the same series but it's no 14, Hawker Hurricane from 1935 to 1945, page 38.

It's on that decal sheet on page 8. The camouflage colours differ between the two as well. The book has Dark Earth and Dark Green over Med Sea Grey (which is what I'd expect unless told differently) but the decal instructions say Mid Stone instead of Dark Green. I have other spare SEAC roundels. Neither shows any sign of cameras and I don't trust either source 100%.

thanks

Mike

Assuming the serial to be correct (which may be quite a leap of faith), LB615 served with 28 and 60 Squadrons before being struck off charge on 25/10/44, according to Air Britain.  No indication that it was modified for reconnaissance (which is inconclusive either way).  NB HW557 in Troy's shot is of 28 Sq.

Geoff Thomas describes 28 Sq as being converted to FR Hurricanes, so there's a very strong chance that this one was.   Two cannon were normally  removed.   Some those delivered  had a forward facing camera in place of one inboard cannon, but most had the usual FR arrangement of a downward facing camera aft of the cockpit and a small square window in the port side of the fuselage.  They would also have the carriers for bombs or fuel tanks.

HW557 appears to have all four cannon.

The underside may well have been painted Azure Blue.

I'd expect an individual code letter aft of the roundel.

• Thanks 1

Certainly this was seen in the Desert.  With four cannons the Hurricane was overloaded for dogfighting, with the weight in the wing affecting its agility.  However there are suggestions (not completely true) that in SEAC Mk.IICs were kept back for defence of Calcutta against bombers whereas the Mk.IIBs (possibly with outer guns removed) were used at the front against the Oscars.  Certainly the Mk.IIB seems to have predominated.  Most photos of Mk.IIC in SEAC show all four cannon, even on the later fighter-bombers, but then the cannon would have been more effective at strafing.

There's no significant room for doubt that 28's aircraft were in DG/DE - there's some room for doubt whether they would have Azure Blue or MSG undersides.  Good luck at distinguishing these in b&w photos.  Some Hurricanes were delivered in Day Fighter, including the trim, but these seem to have been retained in training units.  Some were also delivered in Desert, but they were not permitted to be sent to combat units without a repaint.

Well, perhaps it's time for plan B then! Which squadrons in Desert colours had the 2 cannon Hurricanes? Maybe I can find some decals for them as I've got SEAC decals left over from the Airfix kit, so I can still do a regular SEAC Mk IIC.  I was also looking out for SEAC Mk IIB decals but I've yet to find any.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Just checked the Hurricane serial list in "The Hawker Hurricane" by F.K. Mason, here's the entry:

LB615 Trop. Tac R Mk IIc. Cox's Bazaar; Battle of Imphal, 4-44.

I agree with what has been said in previous mails, Dark Earth, Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey would be the standard finish. If the indication about Imphal in April 1944 is correct, I'd be in strong doubt about the white identification bands, and would possibly go for a black spinner.

Two cannons (the outboard ones - inboard cannons were removed), plus long-range tanks, would be a reasonable configuration.

Claudio

Hiya Mike,

213 Sqn operated two cannon IIc`s in the desert, with AK codes and a wasp superimposed over the roundel. The American Lance Wade from this unit flew a twin cannon Hurri like the one below;

1a15c08e-2384-42e5-bf84-fd261caa23fd.jpg

Also, 1 Sqn SAAF had two cannon Hurri`s;

fecfe010-45c4-4188-a489-d68c6c862893.jpg

resized_25ccbd69-eea5-43cb-b4ad-b6fb76b8

Good luck mate,

Tony

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Mike,

213 Sqn operated two cannon IIc`s in the desert, with AK codes and a wasp superimposed over the roundel. The American Lance Wade from this unit flew a twin cannon Hurri like the one below;

1a15c08e-2384-42e5-bf84-fd261caa23fd.jpg

Also, 1 Sqn SAAF had two cannon Hurri`s;

fecfe010-45c4-4188-a489-d68c6c862893.jpg

resized_25ccbd69-eea5-43cb-b4ad-b6fb76b8

Good luck mate,

Tony

Nice work Tony, can you tell me about the decals you used for that?

thanks

Mike

2 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Nice work Tony, can you tell me about the decals you used for that?

thanks

Mike

Hiya Mike,

For my 1 Sqn SAAF HurricaneI used one of the Xtradecal set "Mediterranean Fighters" which I researched for them.  I`m not sure what scale you are working in mate, but there are sheets in both scales. Here is a review of the 1/48th sheet;

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/decals/x48149reviewbg_1.htm

Just double check the roundels as some are the wrong size,......not my doing! 

For 213 Sqn aircraft, Flightdecs have a sheet with it on;

http://www.flightdecs.ca/A_fldecsnew.html   FLD4802.jpg

There are also two 213 Sqn aircraft on this 1/72nd Xtradecal sheet;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72113   https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72113  

Although the later option with the C1 Type roundels did not have a mottle camouflage applied to the nose area as often depicted.  

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Tony,

HL885 is luvverly! 1/48? If som, which kit? Very nice! 👍

Mike

Cheers Mike,....... it is the 1/48th Hasegawa kit mate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Mike,....... it is the 1/48th Hasegawa kit mate. 

I'm embarrassed, we stock that decal set but I've not looked at it for ages. Might have to get it :). Would the two cannon Mk IIc be carrying bombs or drop tanks?

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx
  • Haha 1

As pure fighter squadrons at this stage, probably neither?  The photos show an absence of carriers, but they could be fitted as required.

I think the Mk.IIC was available before the Mk.IIB fighter bombers, so I wonder if this implies two different standards of C wing as there were of the B?    It's not something I've seen discussed.  An HL serial would  be well after, but the first fighter-bombers were BE4xx, so the 213 Sq aircraft might not have been able to carry underwing stores.  Maybe.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1