A Klear alternative?

Matt P

I had been looking locally for Johnsons Klear (or whatever they choose to call it this month) when I found this in our local B&M store.

1199961_zps4q8zh1dk.jpg 

It appears to be very similar and is an acrylic based polish.  I haven't tried airbrushing it but you can see below where it has been roughtly (very!) painted onto the left half of the scrap plastic piece.  Has anyone used this before and what was the result?  It is MUCH cheaper than Klear from Amazon :)

1199962_zpsklutndax.jpg

Hello. 

Cheers for posting this. The clear coat looks good, but does it have a couple of air bubbles dried into it? I appreciate that you said that it was very roughly brushed on to the plastic.

I guess that the only way to really know about its suitability for models is to use it on one (cue one not-at-all-subtle hint).

Cheers for sharing with us. 

Chris.    

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

I had been looking locally for Johnsons Klear (or whatever they choose to call it this month) when I found this in our local B&M store.

I somehow don't think that will work!!!  All varnishes I have come across, be it painting pictures on canvass, spraying after painting car, models, trains, name anything that requires the use of varnish, you will generally find them "clear"/translucent...….what you have found is something that is not clear is it?  It has a die or colouring added to it plus a flavour, which will never do especially on clear parts with kits or diecasts, it you use it, finish may not be upto much, but it will smell nice...………….as was mentioned earlier, this topic has been done to death on here and I expect it will crop up again, there are clear floor polishes out there, not just Kleer, just a matter of finding a clear one...…………..., you should find one recommended on some of the previous topics posted on here 

All varnishes I have come across, be it painting pictures on canvass, spraying after painting car, models, trains, name anything that requires the use of varnish, you will generally find them "clear"/translucent

Not really. Vallejo laquers are 'milky' in appearance when in liquid form but all dry clear, as do W&N artist varnish and others.  I've tried dipping clear plastic in this Astonish stuff and it is definitely clear when dry.