P-40N Warhawk, Daddy Please/Milk Wagon Express, 49 Fighter Group

Hi Everyone,

Just finished my latest `49er` P-40 Warhawk ( I`ve got a thing about Warhawks 🙄 )

FHHFtbU.jpg

Built from Hasegawas 1/48 P-40N kit

R9lOBiz.jpg

and finished to represent an aircraft of the 49th Fighter Group, New Guinea,South West Pacific Theatre in 1943-44

rYU6WKR.jpg

Wanted to do this one for a while as it had nose art on both sides of the nose which was a fairly common practice in the 49th

5YLqRYH.jpg

Built mostly from the box contents.....

QW1OTGa.jpg

with the usual additions of brake pipes and dodgy home made seatbelts

0szPqS2.jpg

The decals came from SuperScale set MS48-903

ZeIyc1m.jpg

I`ve only seen b/w photo`s of the plane with port side looking like the nose trim was painted black and the starboard looking a lot lighter so the red is a best guess...

Y47vUZh.jpg

and matches the red on the nose art.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking,

Cheers Russ

• Like 46

9 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Outstanding build, Russ, with equally impressive photography.  Really nice job on the weathering.  I too have a thing about Warhawks, and one I'm currently working on is also from the 49th FG!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, look forward to seeing it 🙂

Another great build Russ. I started two of these on the weekend. 1/48 Hasegawa kits. The P-40-E done in RAAF 75th sqn markings and a P-40-N in RNZAF scheme Gloria.

Did you have any problems with the kit? I am having to wait for the PE on the P-40E to arrive before I get stuck into them. I'm doing them at the same time.

Gloria's been on the back burner since last year. Now it is front and centre. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Another great build Russ. I started two of these on the weekend. 1/48 Hasegawa kits. The P-40-E done in RAAF 75th sqn markings and a P-40-N in RNZAF scheme Gloria.

Did you have any problems with the kit? I am having to wait for the PE on the P-40E to arrive before I get stuck into them. I'm doing them at the same time.

Gloria's been on the back burner since last year. Now it is front and centre. 

Thanks Greg, no major problems with the kit, minor niggle, the fit of the gun inserts on the leading edge aren`t the best.

6 hours ago, russ c said:

Thanks Greg, no major problems with the kit, minor niggle, the fit of the gun inserts on the leading edge aren`t the best.

Thanks Russ. Funny you should mention the gun inserts. I was looking at a P-40 last week at one of our aircraft museums. One of the things I took note of was the gun wing mounts on this plane were natural metal. Mind you it could be just because it was a museum display plane. 

• Like 1