Me-109 G-10 Hungarian

ya-gabor

Eduard is to release in March the next in line of Me-109’s in 48th scale. It is a G-10 and amongst the paint schemes there is an ex –Hungarian example. Lots of photos of it have been published since it was discovered at a German airfield at the close of war. Unfortunately no colour ones. Although some people insist that they have seen such in publication. I would expect it to surface or re-surface again but till now only b/w images.

There has been a lot of talk about this particular aircraft by historians and self-made “experts” in the past decades and it has come around again in the past 3-4 years.

With little actual knowledge of it I can only say few things:

What is known about the aircraft is that it was flown by surrendering pilot to Neubiberg field together with many other aircraft. Eventually it ended up on top of that Me-262. A fantastic subject for a photo. Several were taken so a fairly good all-around image of this particular airframe remains to this day. It is also a perfect opportunity for a kit. Now the only problem is with its number. It is 12, there is no question about it, but what colour?

Over the past decades this airframe has surfaced again and again in books, publications (one of the first in Airfoil Number 2)  and modelling magazines (like Scale Models December 1978 issue). It was interpreted as Blue, Green, Yellow and even Light Grey (Low Visibility) each according to the author’s individual taste.

Nothing is 100% but at the moment it is about 95% that it was Red 12.

Contemporary report by the photographer suggests it was Red 12.  

In depth research in Hungarian archives and squadron reports also suggests it has to be Red 12.

Unfortunately I don’t have a car driver’s license to jump into Marty McFly’s DeLorien and get back in time to have a closer look at that Me-109 numbered 12. (My only excuse is of course lack of driver’s license.) :D  :winkgrin:  :D  :winkgrin:  :D  :winkgrin:  :D  :winkgrin: 

We will never know 100% but the probability that it is Yellow is absolutely minimal.

Eduard will release it in March as Yellow 12 !!!:shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:   So there is a perfect opportunity for aftermarket decal companies to print a red 12 version.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

• Julien locked this topic