Does Klear have a shelf life ?

JOCKNEY

I have a large bottle of Klear (branded Pledge Multi Surface Wax) which when I coated the clear parts of a current build has left a horrible film over all the parts, leaving them much worse than before I started !

IMG_4255

Could this be down to the Klear or likely the brush I was using ?

How do you remove it ?

All help really appreciated 

cheers Pat

I must admit Pat, I'm starting to give this Klear Canopy dipping theory a wide berth of late. For a few of my recent builds, I've polished the clear plastic with a soft cloth as best as possible and washed it all in soapy water. After paint and mask removal, I'll clean up any not so good bits with a toothpick and only then carefully apply the Clear with a pointy brush where required (avoiding the paint if possible). To answer your question, I've had a bottle of Pledge for close to eight years and reckon it works better than the newer stuff I bought two years ago. I also keep it hidden in a dark place away from sunlight to try and preserve it as long as possible. One of my mates reckons he's still using some Klear from a bottle bought 20+ years ago! 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much, I will have a look for something containing ammonia (chemistry was never a strong subject of mine !) and a new toothbrush to scrub the parts.

Tempted to get a new bottle of Klear as well so I don't repeat the problem, in case I have transferred material back into the bottle.

cheers Pat

8 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I dunk my canopies in Clear, then let it drain off, then cover to cure for a couple of days. No problems noted.

Certainly hope there's no shelf life, I stockpiled several bottles in 2009.

Same here.  I hope there's no shelf life  but store out of direct sunlight to avoid tempting fate.

Don't keep it in the cold, don't keep it in the warm, don't keep it in the light. Give it a shake every month or so, just to keep it mixed.

Jockney, I purchased a bottle of household ammonia from the chain store called The Range:

https://www.therange.co.uk/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/homecare-ammonia-liquid/#482833