Scrap Yard Aston Martins & Lagondas

Sabrejet

Back when I was a lad, there was an overgrown yard full of old cars which we used to pass every weekend as we went out with the parents. As I got older those cars became more interesting until I finally plucked up the courage to speak to the owner and ask if I could have a look at them. Incredibly, he said yes and these are the products of two or more visits, circa 1980. Sadly it's long gone now, under a small housing development and how I wish my camera skills had been better!

Even then, I thought this Aston Martin DB4 would be a lovely car to own - it's still my favourite Aston I think. Note also the DB Mk.III bonnet section to the rear:

car Astons 1 (1)

car Astons 1 (2)

And another early DB4 with no roof: shame I was more interested in the essentially complete Lagonda behind it!

car Astons 1 (3)

And that Lagonda 2.6, which looked like it just needed towing out and a good shampoo:

car Astons 2 (1)

car Astons 2 (2)

Then a maroon DB5: again, camera work commensurate with an excited young teenager...

car Astons 3 (6)

car Astons 3 (5)

And another gem for me: one of only 55 Lagonda Rapides built, based on the DB4:

car Astons 3 (1)

car Astons 3 (3)

car Astons 3 (4)

And I have to admit not knowing definitively what this is, but I think it's a circa 1933 3-litre Tourer with spoked wheels and a beautifully-made engine with a very striking rocker cover with 'LAGONDA' machined into it :

car Astons 6 (1)

Then a couple of Lagonda 3-litres and another 2.6 to boot:

car Astons 4 (1)

car Astons 4 (2)

car Astons 5 (1)

And finally, a whole host of DB.2; DB Mk.III and DB.2/4:

car Astons 7 (1)

car Astons 7 (2)

And I see what seems to be another white DB4 (and possibly another tail-on) behind this DB2/4.

car Astons 7 (3)

I did have some slightly better photos which I took a while later when I had a better camera. If I find them I'll post them here. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Car SOS would have a field day with that lot. Wonder what happened to those vehicles and if they got scrapped or rescued.  

Looking at at those pics makes me think of aircraft getting scrapped or dropped over the side of carriers into the sea which, had they been preserved, would be worth a few bob today

• Like 1

I'm conflicted - I've 'sadded' the post because it's such a shame to see such beautiful cars left to rot, but I like the post as it is a slice of history, both in terms of the cars in there and indeed the photos themselves. Thanks for sharing all of the scrapyard pics over the past few days.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2019 at 10:14 AM, Spiny said:

I'm conflicted - I've 'sadded' the post because it's such a shame to see such beautiful cars left to rot, but I like the post as it is a slice of history, both in terms of the cars in there and indeed the photos themselves. Thanks for sharing all of the scrapyard pics over the past few days.

Just what I think too. One can only hope these were rescued.

Steve.

• Like 1