Falklands Ejection

Built for the upcoming 50th Harrier Event at NAM, some may remember I made the same in-flight dio a few years back, albeit a little cruder. Hopefully I`ve improved it a tad in this reincarnation.

For those new, the story goes like this.  

Squadron Leader Bob Iveson left HMS Hermes as part of of a strike force against the Goose Green area in East Falkland. He completed two attack runs over Argentine positions and then decided to make a third. His Harrier was hit by 35 mm shells which knocked out his controls and started a fire in the cockpit. He immediately pulled the ejection handle and left the cockpit while the Harrier was doing around 450 knots at 100 feet. His aircraft exploded in mid-air shortly afterwards and he hit the ground after being under the parachute for only ten to fifteen seconds.
Squadron Leader Iveson suffered spinal compression and wind-blast damage to his eyes but hit the ground sufficiently far from the Argentine positions to make good his escape and was picked up two days later by a Royal Navy helicopter.

Kit is the old Airfix 1/48 scale, base from Coastal Kits, finishing frame fro Evilbay.

Thanks for looking.

39845607623_1d0d79ecd6_c.jpg 

39845608133_a482f0884d_c.jpg 

46085920274_570cf53ff8_c.jpg 

46085919694_d27a5ec7cc_c.jpg 

46085919164_d57f69e387_c.jpg 

39845608513_4c4ed78a1d_c.jpg

• Like 63

Great idea. I have a friend who'd love that diorama. He ejected from a stricken Harrier too , admittedly no one was shooting at him at the time. He reckons he's a couple of inches inch shorter as a result. He probably knew Bob Iveson as well being contemporaries.

Nice job.

• Like 1

Fantastic

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by fubar57
Ignore Spoiler thang. I clicked on the button to see what it would do and couldn't get rid of it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

That looks absolutely superb.  Fantastic work with the smoke from the seat.  Just one point.  Shouldn't the pilots legs have been pulled in by the leg restraints from the seat?

• Like 1

Bang on!

Just needs the head box of the seat painting Matt Black, GR3s had black MB Mk9; Shars had Matt Dk Admiralty Grey (Dk Sea Grey with a dash of white) MB Mk10s.

Hope that helps, see you both at NAM in April.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by NG899
  • Like 1

Thank you all very much for the comments.

Nick, cheers for the heads up on the seat. I was using some pics from the GR.3 at the Manston fire dump as a reference and now I realise that the top of the seat has faded back to what I guess is the undercoat and looks grey in appearance.

Look forward to seeing you at NAM.

Tony

Amazing little diorama!

I love the sense of speed that the base provides.

People are finding extremely clever ways to show smoke, steam, explosions, etc. as "still life" so-to-speak.

This is another beautiful example.

:clap:

• Like 1