45 Year Gap

Ricardo603

Hi 

After a 45 year layoff from model making, I decided to build a model of Avro Vulcan XH558 for my sister, a Vulcan obsessive and volunteer at the Avro Heritage Centre at Woodford. She immediately donated it to the museum, where it is now on display. 

Having assisted in the restoration of XM603, I decided to do another Vulcan for her, this time of the newly restored aircraft at the museum.  Of course she also donated this to the museum as well. I’d upload some photos but I can’t see how to do that from my phone.  If someone can tell me where the appropriate place would be and how, it would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Richard

• Like 3

Hi Richard,

I think that your sister is trying to tell you something.:) Welcome aboard anyway.

To post photos on here you need to using a hosting site such as Village Photos or Flickr. If you look in FAQ's, there are a couple of threads telling you how to use them. If you have any problems, just ask.

John.

Hello Richard ... :welcome: to Brtmodeller from Chicago USA. Im sure your sister appreciated the effort and quality as much as the visitors to the museum will. I look forward to seeing the photo’s soon. I see the others have given you the info needed to help in that matter. 

Dennis

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I think that your sister is trying to tell you something  

I think you’re right. She’s telling me how much she appreciated the gifts and has now got them somewhere where she can see them every week!

Welcome @Ricardo603

This post  made in a fellow newbie's welcome might help with the photo's

The problem may be with the phone:  for android and apple   right-click is achieved by holding your finger on the screen for a second or so. 

Look forward to the pictures

Hello Richard

Wow! I'm most impressed with those Vulcan models AND the extras. They look stunning!

I'm new here, however the subject brings back many memories and thoughts for me, having worked at Woodford for a short time, having witnessed XH558 fly by our house several times (much to my wife and mother-in-law's excitement!), and my own break from model-making spanning around 35 years - that has only just got underway again!

• Like 1

Hi Ricardo603! What I meant by 'pay it forward' is: When you gift your time or possessions to others, you 'pay it forward'. Your building your kits for your sister was paying forward, by giving her the model; and then, it was paid forward again by the kits being donated to the museum. Your sister and the museum benefited by your kindness in building the model and donating it forward like that 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whiterook said:

Your sister and the museum benefited by your kindness in building the model and donating it forward like that 

Ah, I see. It’s not an expression I’ve heard before. 

I know both my sister and the museum were very grateful. They’ve just got to wait for the next project now, which is already in the pipeline.....

• Like 1

Very good. I fondly remember the Vulcan. Once when it flew over our school as fly-past for Sir Barnes Wallis that lived nearby. Also the Vulcan that used to sit on Gibraltar's runway as pedestrians crossed from the Gib/Espania border.

Gidday Ricardo, Although not a plane buff myself I like the Vulcans. Very good models. In fact I thought the white one was the real thing. (Is it?).

"Paying It Forward" means that if you receive a favor from someone you don't return the favor to that person but do a favor for someone else instead. It is a concept that I believe in. A film was made of the same name in 2000, staring Haley Joel Osment, Helen Hunt and Kevin Spacey.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi Everyone.

In one of my posts 4 and a half years ago(!!) I mentioned that the next project was already in the pipeline.  However, as so often in life, things got in the way but the plan is still in my head and I'm definitely going to get on with it this year.

In order for it to go ahead though, I need a 1/72 (or close) scale model of a mobile crane.  It probably doesn't matter what make or type but it must have been of a type in use in the early 1980s.  There are many at the wrong scale but only one I can find at 1/76 the Airfix Recovery set.  This is too old and would be unlikely to have been in service in the early 80s.

It doesn't matter whether it is a plastic kit, die-cast, resin or whatever as long as it fits the criteria above.

Does anybody have any idea where I might get such a thing, if one even exists?

You may have a better chance of an answer if you post your query in a more relevant section.

Like here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/275-afv-cold-war/

Or here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/381-vehicle-discussion/

Have you thought of trying model railway suppliers?

The search criteria of 'crane'. Like this:

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=crane&description=true

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, Ricardo603 said:

Ah, I see. It’s not an expression I’ve heard before. 

I know both my sister and the museum were very grateful. They’ve just got to wait for the next project now, which is already in the pipeline.....

Welcome and please let us a see a WIP (work in progress) of the next project.

The completed Vulcans look great I am sure many of us would enjoy watching your next project come to life.

I love the pilot climbing into XH558.

• Like 1